New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Apr 27, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #211 of 625
Go back a few pages. I compared them side by side with the k550s.

Right, I saw that. In my post, I meant with direct experience. I do my best to not simply repeat something someone else has told me without verifying it first on my own :). I just happened to see this thread again and thought I'd chime in that I am still enjoying these cans.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #212 of 625
I ordered two pairs.  One for me, one for my partner.  I almost got him to buy a set of ATH-M50s (which is what I wear at work) but he didn't.  Since I'm in an office from hell (a.k.a. "open office plan") I need good closed cans.  I can't even find ATH-M50xs for the price right now.  (And based on the review not sure I'd do them.)  

Do these fold up, though?  He's gonna wanna travel with them.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #215 of 625
Im wondering if these would be good in places where my HD555s are weak like most rock music. I listen to a lot of electronic and rock and don't like crazy bass but would like at least some decent bass.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #217 of 625
They've got good but not earth-shattering bass when driven well
L3000.gif

I would be using them with a 5G iPod and maybe with a Fiio E11.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #218 of 625
  I ordered two pairs.  One for me, one for my partner.  I almost got him to buy a set of ATH-M50s (which is what I wear at work) but he didn't.  Since I'm in an office from hell (a.k.a. "open office plan") I need good closed cans.  I can't even find ATH-M50xs for the price right now.  (And based on the review not sure I'd do them.)  

Do these fold up, though?  He's gonna wanna travel with them.

@JakiChan, akg k553 are not really suitable for portable usage. does not fold up though earcups swivel flat. non-detachable cord and really large earcups. the k553 is really more geared for closed home/office usage.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #219 of 625
  @JakiChan, akg k553 are not really suitable for portable usage. does not fold up though earcups swivel flat. non-detachable cord and really large earcups. the k553 is really more geared for closed home/office usage.

That's what the headphones he's using now do.  Super portable isn't the idea - just something you can put in your briefcase for when you travel, if that's your thing.  (I use IEMs for that but he never will.)  If they're as stowable as the ATH-M50s (which, in their folded config isn't that compact) it should be fine.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #221 of 625

That's what the headphones he's using now do.  Super portable isn't the idea - just something you can put in your briefcase for when you travel, if that's your thing.  (I use IEMs for that but he never will.)  If they're as stowable as the ATH-M50s (which, in their folded config isn't that compact) it should be fine.

they will work fine for that.

despite my large head, the clamp force could be a bit stronger for walking around/doing stuff, but they are fine as long as you dont bendover/look down as you take the stairs/ect) 

despite the long cable, they really arent that bad for out and about.....

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #223 of 625
Anyone know how these compare to similar priced cans? I've been eyeing the Audiotechnica MSR7 and the Yamaha MT220. I'm so tempted by the AKG K553 Pros! I keep looking at the drop. I would have jumped but too broke. I can't purchase any more headphones. I just got a pair of Superlux from MD as well. And that only cost 40 bucks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back