New Questyle CMA400i
Nov 24, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #901 of 1,014
I am hoping this thread isn't completely dead, as I am coming to the CMA-400i quite late it seems. I have two questions:

1. Now that the initial hype is over, are owners happy with their purchase? Is it still as good as was first thought? I understand the issues with after sales service, but for those where this hasn't been necessary, any regrets?

2. I will be feeding it from a Chord M-Scaler SPDIF output, which when set to maximum upscaling sends 352.8/384 khz signal to the dac. On the 400i SPDIF input, does it automatically down-sample to 192 khz, or do I need to adjust the M-Scaler to only send through a 192 khz signal?

Thanks in adavnce

Nov 24, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #902 of 1,014
Has anyone how has ever sent theirs in and gotten it back? My USB DAC went out then so I went with SPDIF using my MB's Realtek onboard digital out. Now from time to time my audio cuts in and out, lags, and or sound choppy. I don't know if the CMA400i is causing this or this is something to do with my onboard sound. I am at a loss here and don't know where to go. Is there 3rd party repair I can send this to? I was also thinking about hooking up a Topping D10 up to my PC and using that digital out to the digital in of the CMA400i. I dunno, thoughts anyone...???

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #903 of 1,014
I am hoping this thread isn't completely dead, as I am coming to the CMA-400i quite late it seems. I have two questions:

1. Now that the initial hype is over, are owners happy with their purchase? Is it still as good as was first thought? I understand the issues with after sales service, but for those where this hasn't been necessary, any regrets?

2. I will be feeding it from a Chord M-Scaler SPDIF output, which when set to maximum upscaling sends 352.8/384 khz signal to the dac. On the 400i SPDIF input, does it automatically down-sample to 192 khz, or do I need to adjust the M-Scaler to only send through a 192 khz signal?

Thanks in adavnce

I have no regrets at all although i use mostly only the amp section of it with a Qutest.
U have only the m scaler from chord?
I guess the 400i's 2 coax inputs cant operate in double sample mode. I wish i had a m scaler to use with my Qutest.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #904 of 1,014
Has anyone how has ever sent theirs in and gotten it back? My USB DAC went out then so I went with SPDIF using my MB's Realtek onboard digital out. Now from time to time my audio cuts in and out, lags, and or sound choppy. I don't know if the CMA400i is causing this or this is something to do with my onboard sound. I am at a loss here and don't know where to go. Is there 3rd party repair I can send this to? I was also thinking about hooking up a Topping D10 up to my PC and using that digital out to the digital in of the CMA400i. I dunno, thoughts anyone...???

Is your usb dac permanently out? What does the Questyle driver says on your pc?

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #905 of 1,014
I have no regrets at all although i use mostly only the amp section of it with a Qutest.
U have only the m scaler from chord?
I guess the 400i's 2 coax inputs cant operate in double sample mode. I wish i had a m scaler to use with my Qutest.

I have a Chord Dave being fed by the M-Scaler in my main system. Unfortunately, it is about 4m from my desk, so I can't use headphones from the Dave without an extension cord, which I don't really like. Also, it is difficult to control volume on the Dave from my desk as there are blockages so I can't use the remote control. So, the 400i looks like it might be a good compromise.

Dec 4, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #906 of 1,014
I have a Chord Dave being fed by the M-Scaler in my main system. Unfortunately, it is about 4m from my desk, so I can't use headphones from the Dave without an extension cord, which I don't really like. Also, it is difficult to control volume on the Dave from my desk as there are blockages so I can't use the remote control. So, the 400i looks like it might be a good compromise.
Maybe you can consider an external amp being fed by the Dave like the smsl sp200? It's virtually transparent

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #907 of 1,014
Isnt 400i's dac a leap backwards in sq coming from a dave?
Maybe better go for a Qutest for your 2nd system. I payed 1k€ 2nd hand.
Im driving my hp straight out of it with volume controlled digitally with foobar its sounding actually better than through the 400i amp. Qutest has mojo's op stage.
I made a rca to jack adapter for this.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #908 of 1,014
The 400i has a lot of potential and sounds awesome. Measurements be damned, while this isn't a bad measuring device it has sweet spot bass and a very detailed yet warm presentation.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #909 of 1,014
Is your usb dac permanently out? What does the Questyle driver says on your pc?

Sorry to quote you so long after your comment reply to mine. I can't remember it was something like QMos or something close to that. It would work for like 15 minutes then it would make a one-solid beep noise. The problem I was having this time was a DPC latency issue which I'm still kinda having problems with, but it's like 95% fixed. I ended up getting the Topping D10 and that is when I found out it was a Windows 10 problem.

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #910 of 1,014
Would using the 400i as a DAC only be a good pairing with the THX 789 or would it be too similar and not worth doing?

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #911 of 1,014
I'd just use it as a combo to be honest. The 400i is a great sounding unit.
If you do get the itch to upgrade I'd recommend the THX887 instead. Same price, much better quality.

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #912 of 1,014
I'd just use it as a combo to be honest. The 400i is a great sounding unit.
If you do get the itch to upgrade I'd recommend the THX887 instead. Same price, much better quality.
I'd love to get the THX887 but Monoprices ridiculous international shipping rates $131 USD for this item to Australia is extortion.

At least MassDrop charges a reasonable price

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #913 of 1,014
I see. TBH, owning both I'd still bite that bullet.

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #914 of 1,014
What a let down. I've read this entire thread to gather info before purchasing the 400i. After reading the last 10 to 15 pages I find it disheartening that their service is that poor.
I wasted all that time reading to come to the conclusion that I most certainly won't be buying one.
I really can't understand how a company can charge the prices that they're charging and have that terrible of a customer service setup.

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #915 of 1,014
Can't hold that comment against you, there's better options out there now for the money as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back