New Questyle CMA400i
May 28, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #828 of 1,014
I had the CMA 600i sold it and about 4 months later picked up the CMA 400i and I have to say I don't plan on spending more to go back to the 600i. Unfortaly I did not get a chance to AB them right next to each other but as a DAC the 400i performs just stupid good. I do a lot of work in production and use my headphones plugged straight into the CMA 400i. Later when I want to enjoy music I push the signal out to another amp, this right now has been to the Feliks Audio Echo and I have loved every minute with this guy.

May 29, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #831 of 1,014
I had the CMA 600i sold it and about 4 months later picked up the CMA 400i and I have to say I don't plan on spending more to go back to the 600i. Unfortaly I did not get a chance to AB them right next to each other but as a DAC the 400i performs just stupid good. I do a lot of work in production and use my headphones plugged straight into the CMA 400i. Later when I want to enjoy music I push the signal out to another amp, this right now has been to the Feliks Audio Echo and I have loved every minute with this guy.

But according to spec, the jot seem to have more power and also the cma400i is double the price of jot.

May 29, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #832 of 1,014
Crosstalk and power are main differences. So from technical point of view balanced is always better but only for THE SAME application.

Overall sound signature difference depends on the application of the circuit. For example there is very popular "push-pull" application for balanced outputs and it causes generation of odd order harmonics, which may be very unpleasant comparing to Single Ended output (even order harmonics). Some people like this kind of distortion and thus find it better than more smooth SE output.

Sometimes application is completely difference between SE and balanced outputs - like in Pioneer U-05 DAC. SE section uses tpa6120a2 chip and BALANCED uses separated, discrete transistor section. The difference between outputs there is dramatic and this is not about crosstalk or power.

There is no gold advice, use your ears and pick better sounding output for you. There is no better advisor than that. And it's simple as that.

Just because something is balanced, you can't take it for granted that it's better. I know SE headphone amps, that would smoke like 90% balanced crap implementations.

Did anyone know which chips use Pioneer U-05 DAC in the analog amp section?

My accurate questions here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/marantz-hd-dac1-and-pioneer-u-05.723974/#post-14979378

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #833 of 1,014

Interesting, was contemplating between the 400i and Echo. Went with the Echo in the end as I wanted a separate DAC which I could upgrade down the road (assuming I do)

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #834 of 1,014
But according to spec, the jot seem to have more power and also the cma400i is double the price of jot.
yeah, but the 400i powers all my headphones just fine so why do you need more power?
kb3VUIM.jpg

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #836 of 1,014
I went from the Fostex HP-A4BL to the Schiit Jotunheim to the Questyle CMA400i and I would say it was an upgrade in that order.
Yeah, I have jumped from a couple of different DAC's over the year but I seem to always go back to the Questyle but I also do a lot more critical listening because I work in production as an editor mainly.

Jun 10, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #838 of 1,014
Hi Kai

I have the CMA400I and the HD660S's I also have a balanced cable for the HD660S's and it sounds brilliant. It is my daily desktop Rig.

I also use the Oppo PM3's and CA Solaris with it. The solaris using a balanced cable there is some noise as they are so sedative. But you wont be disappointed with the results with the HD660s's. Do remember the balanced port has more power so worth the cost of the cable.

Its a current mode Amp (Worth doing some reading on the subject) so don't be fooled by the math, it can drive my fostex mad dogs which a lot of amps have trouble with. And it is class A components all the way.

Max

Jun 10, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #839 of 1,014
The CMA400i is an excellent amp DAC combo with regard to sound quality, both as a headphone amplifier and as a preamp. However, product support is poor at least in the United States; I have not had any problems with mine but the few who have have difficulties contacting service. It also has no analog inputs so you can't use a separate DAC with it.

I'm happy with mine and I think I'd have to spend well over $1,000 for a significant upgrade.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #840 of 1,014
I can confirm the service issues. My unit had a channel imbalance and buzz from all of the headphone outputs. My unit has been in California for nearly 2 months and the last contact that I had with them was 3 weeks ago as of today. The experiences that I and another user I have been in contact with, who's unit is also in the service center, have had has been less than fun. I will create a post about the service issues after everything is all said and done. Who knows, at this point anything might surprise me. Not exactly the service I would expect for an $800 unit. Pretty much accepted the thing is a total loss.

(not sure if this is allowed so I will remove if needed)
Well, if anyone wants the clear top and stand for their unit I'm selling mine and you can PM for info. Might as well let someone else enjoy how the unit looks set up instead of having them collect dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back