New Questyle CMA400i
Sep 12, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #91 of 1,014
I agree @Oscar-HiFi, I feel like we will have to see a CMA400 amp or CMA600 amp soon. orrrrr maybe not ha. I think it fits a really big margin for the price/performance for all its features. With that said I don't know what the process was in regards to not letting you use just the amp section.

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #92 of 1,014
I agree that the HD800 is not a natural sounding headphone and the soundstage is too artificially boosted. Saying that, the HD800s out of my Feliks Audio Espressivo is a superb pairing and one that customers here enjoy a lot.

Regarding the CMA400i, I too would have loved to have seen a set of analogue inputs on it, but I suppose no-one would buy the CMA600i if they did that :D

Would be nice to see a standalone CMA400 amp only though, that would be awesome.
So, you're saying that no one that is already using a HQ standalone DAC might not be interested in trying to find a standalone HP amp that has a better sense of transparency than what they may be using w/ that DAC ???? Everyone is completely sure that the amp they're using is up to giving them the full capabilities of that already great sounding DAC ???

That Rupert Neve Designs RNHP amp is beginning to look more interesting by the minute . I just don't care for amps using wallwart PSs (Though it probably wouldn't be much of an issue ,if at all, after being being plugged into my Equi=Tech 1.5Q BPT , which makes you forget that every thing plugged into it isn't just just live music you're listening to)

I'm not buying that ! The world does'nt revolve around the needs &/or wants of the typical or Newbie "Head-Fi"er. Why not at least "Test the Waters" to see if there aren't some random "Audio Nuts" who honestly aren't that interested multi-functioned components. (Even if it does mean we'll be eating more PB&J sandwiches than Steak Diners; I had to think of a great big juicy Steak..Didn't I ???)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #93 of 1,014
So, you're saying that no one that is already using a HQ standalone DAC might not be interested in trying to find a standalone HP amp that has a better sense of transparency than what they may be using w/ that DAC ???? Everyone is completely sure that the amp they're using is up to giving them the full capabilities of that already great sounding DAC ???

I'm not buying that ! The world does'nt revolve around the needs &/or wants of the typical or Newbie "Head-Fi"er. Why not at least "Test the Waters" to see if there aren't some random "Audio Nuts" who honestly aren't that interested multi-functioned components. (Even if it does mean we'll be eating more PB&J sandwiches than Steak Diners; I had to think of a great big juicy Steak..Didn't I ???)

I think you completely missed the point...

All that was said is from a Questyle business point of view, you give a cheaper option that has all the same features as your flagship model, why would anyone buy the flagship model?

Simple business, if you want analogue inputs you have to jump up to the CMA600i which offers a pair of RCA inputs if you want to use it as a standalone amp with a separate DAC.

There are loads of people that would love the CMA400i as a pure amp, as you have seen written, so we will see.

Plenty of people have excellent external DAC's and I think it would be to Questyles advantage to include a set of analogue inputs on the CMA400i, but as stated above from a business point of view why would anyone buy the CMA600i over the CMA400i, unless there is a big step up in sound quality (I have not heard both).

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #94 of 1,014

All that was said is from a Questyle business point of view, you give a cheaper option that has all the same features as your flagship model, why would anyone buy the flagship model?

Simple business, if you want analogue inputs you have to jump up to the CMA600i which offers a pair of RCA inputs if you want to use it as a standalone amp with a separate DAC.

There are loads of people that would love the CMA400i as a pure amp, as you have seen written, so we will see.

Plenty of people have excellent external DAC's and I think it would be to Questyles advantage to include a set of analogue inputs on the CMA400i, but as stated above from a business point of view why would anyone buy the CMA600i over the CMA400i, unless there is a big step up in sound quality (I have not heard both).
Why is it "Forebode" to simply state where "your" interests lie ?

From a "Business standpoint" ???????? So you're saying ............ Nevermind, it may be yourself who is missing "my" point (So as not to appear "Mean Spirited" to Questyle I won't pursue this further; The Rupert Neve Designs RNHP is looking very interesting at this point)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #95 of 1,014
Why is it "Forebode" to simply state where "your" interests lie ?

From a "Business standpoint" ???????? So you're saying ............ Nevermind, it may be yourself who is missing "my" point (So as not to appear "Mean Spirited" to Questyle I won't pursue this further; The Rupert Neve Designs RNHP is looking very interesting at this point)

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with their business practices, nor do I endorse or go against them, I am just stating my own personal opinion, yes the RNHP is probably excellent and possibly a better buy

I don't own either.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #96 of 1,014

The real reason is probably that there isn't enough space to put analogue inputs and keep the internal DAC. Questyle will probably sell more units this way than as a standalone unit.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #97 of 1,014
Well to be fair Questyle marketed the 400i as a DAC with Headphone Amplifier, so i think it is a little bit misdirected if you put the blame on Questyle.
If there is enough demand, maybe in the future they will transform from a DAC company to a Headphone Amp company?

After owning this thing for more than a month, I can safely say that i am really happy with this purchase

DSC_0026.JPG

Sound wise it delivers all what i am looking for : Wide soundstage, airy with black background and good detail retrieval. It is definitely neutral and a little bit revealing, but some poorly mastered tracks are still fit for listening through my MH334. The 400i complements my full bodied 334 really well, listening to classical pieces now feels really satisfying with accurate timbre and good micro details. My complaint is just that it hisses with my IEMS (SE on higher volumes and BAL on any volume) and it runs really hot when i am not using the aircon

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #98 of 1,014
Well to be fair Questyle marketed the 400i as a DAC with Headphone Amplifier, so i think it is a little bit misdirected if you put the blame on Questyle.
If there is enough demand, maybe in the future they will transform from a DAC company to a Headphone Amp company?

After owning this thing for more than a month, I can safely say that i am really happy with this purchase

Sound wise it delivers all what i am looking for : Wide soundstage, airy with black background and good detail retrieval. It is definitely neutral and a little bit revealing, but some poorly mastered tracks are still fit for listening through my MH334. The 400i complements my full bodied 334 really well, listening to classical pieces now feels really satisfying with accurate timbre and good micro details. My complaint is just that it hisses with my IEMS (SE on higher volumes and BAL on any volume) and it runs really hot when i am not using the aircon
Thanks for your impressions. Have you got any luck with full size cans?

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #99 of 1,014
Thanks for your impressions. Have you got any luck with full size cans?

I tried the Aeon and T1 briefly with the 400i at my local headphone store, personally I really liked the pairing of the Aeon with the 400i. It sounds really clean with lean vocals and wide soundstage, it doesn't feel like i am listening to a closed back headphone at all. As for the T1, they sound quite neutral but the treble becomes a little bit aggressive.

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #102 of 1,014
Thanks for the impressions.

How much wiggle room did you have with the volume pot on the Aeon?

I can't remember the exact volume pot position, but I didn't have to change the gain to high, so definitely a little bit of room left to wiggle and roll around :D

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #103 of 1,014
What do you mean by wiggle room?

Powers the Aeon fine with plenty of headroom :)
I mean how sensitive is the pot with the Aeon? At what level is it a quiet, normal, loud, or painful listening for you? 9 o'clock, 10 o'clock, noon, etc? If the pot goes from normal to painful from 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock, then it's too sensitive and doesn't have much wiggle room. OTOH, if the pot goes from 9 to 3 and is still not loud, it's not sensitive enough and the gain setting would need to be increased. I'm guessing you were at the lower gain setting.

I can't remember the exact volume pot position, but I didn't have to change the gain to high, so definitely a little bit of room left to wiggle and roll around :D
Thanks.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #104 of 1,014
I mean how sensitive is the pot with the Aeon? At what level is it a quiet, normal, loud, or painful listening for you? 9 o'clock, 10 o'clock, noon, etc? If the pot goes from normal to painful from 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock, then it's too sensitive and doesn't have much wiggle room. OTOH, if the pot goes from 9 to 3 and is still not loud, it's not sensitive enough and the gain setting would need to be increased. I'm guessing you were at the lower gain setting.

Thanks.

I had the gain set to normal and plenty of wiggle room :)

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #105 of 1,014
For those who are in US, what's the point to follow this thread or even discuss on this when they are not going to make it available for US market!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back