New Portable DAP wanted.
Oct 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

audionut117

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I want a DAP with large capacity for around $300. I was thinking of getting the ibasso DX50 but I've been reading about it's dodgy UI. I don't know if they have been fixed yet.My other choice is an iPod classic. I would prefer the DX50 since it's compatible with SDHC cards (128 gb?) and also it has a removable battery. I'm planning to use the DAP with  full siezed headphones: the PSBM4U1 or AKG k545 (when it comes out and if it turns out to be good)

For current DX50 users: Is the product usable yet?
Also how is the sound quality of the DX50 compared to the iPod. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 7
Your best bet will be either the ColorFly C3, FiiO X3, or iBasso DX50 as they all use microSD.  However, for 128 SDHC, you will need to get a microSD to SD adapter for the card but it will work, as people has been doing that for the AK120.

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm selling mine, so maybe take what I say with a grain of salt...

I had no problems with the ui. Fast boot, new files scanned reasonably quickly. The only problems I had were a few .flac files that it didn't like, and that it doesn't integrate with my car stereo like the idevices.

I believe the sound quality is superior to what I hear from the ipod I use; but since I'm driving I really can't say I worry too greatly about it. If it was critical listening, dx50 has a better dac/amp/sound.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 7
  Hi guys

I want a DAP with large capacity for around $300. I was thinking of getting the ibasso DX50 but I've been reading about it's dodgy UI. I don't know if they have been fixed yet.My other choice is an iPod classic. I would prefer the DX50 since it's compatible with SDHC cards (128 gb?) and also it has a removable battery. I'm planning to use the DAP with  full siezed headphones: the PSBM4U1 or AKG k545 (when it comes out and if it turns out to be good)

For current DX50 users: Is the product usable yet?
Also how is the sound quality of the DX50 compared to the iPod. 

I have either the 4th generation or the 5th, not sure, but can say that with the latest firmware, my DX50 has been very stable. I have not noticed any bugs in mine as others have reported. I do believe that your music needs to be properly tagged, something that I am obsessive about.

I have not heard it compared to the ipod, but I've never been an apple fan, sorry. I would think that it sounds much better as almost everyone who has heard the DX50 seem to be satisfied and happy with the sound quality. 

I also hate itunes, much prefer drag and drop, as what is used for the DX50   
regular_smile .gif

Good luck. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Oh yes, agree bigtime with the "love" not, of itunes. Much prefer dragn'drop. And why Apple refuses to support flac, sheesh. Their hardware can support it; rockbox the right ipod and it works. But that kills the integration in the car.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 7
I will echo what others have said. I just got a 5th batch DX50, so it came out of the box with the current firmware, and I don't know what all these whiners are on about 
wink_face.gif

But seriously, on the current fw, it works pretty darn well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back