New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #2,611 of 2,626
Apparently the D1 is still available as a rebranded item (even though the description still says iBasso). Check the following link:

Welcome to Audiophilechina

Also note the opamps.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #2,613 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been stuck on the AD797 for a while now, but finally decided to try the AD743. If anyone has been having trouble locating the AD743 in the right configuration, check out my post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/ad7...-8-mod-379561/

I'm loving the AD743 with the LMH6655; crisp, clear, natural, superb soundstage. I'm not even missing the AD797 bass!

I can provide the AD743 in DIP case configuration. PM if interested. No doubt about it, the AD743 is a great audio opamp!

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #2,614 of 2,626
Bumping an OLD thread!
biggrin.gif

I have looked around, but a 175 pages it a LOT to sift through for one spec of seemingly unimportant info.

I just bought one of one of these from yammy1688, see listing here...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/so...e-drop-437504/
...and apparently this amp/dac used to belong to HiFlight so I feel pretty lucky about that.

My only problem is the included charger's barrel plug (the end that goes into the amp) is so loose that the amp with not charge. I've tried relieving strain, wiggling it, etc nothing works.

The charger that came with the unit from yammy1688 says Output 12VDC 2A.

What I would like to know if this is the charger that came that came with the amp? Is that output correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #2,615 of 2,626
I recall that 12v is correct - I don't know about the rest. It should work with a universal regulated 12v DC charger, so you could look for one with a tighter tip.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #2,616 of 2,626
Well, I guess this is the best place to post this, though this thread (and amp) are long outdated...

I purchased a TopKit from HiFlight, including the 2x AD743JN in L/R and LMH6655 in buffers (don't remember what's in the DAC). The adapter for the AD743 is huge, and puts a little bit of pressure on the capacitors next to it, but no problems so far.

Put simply, the sound is superb. It's actually a good thing that I picked up the Denon AH-D2000 before hearing this, though, as it seems that this TopKit is not a great match with the Future Sonics Atrio, my 'phones of choice for the past couple of years. The Atrio paired fairly well with the v2 opamps, which had decent lows, recessed mids, and somewhat shrill highs. The mid roll-off was always noticeable, but the lows and highs worked well with the Atrio. With the TopKit, the sound reminds me more of the Ray Samuels Tomahawk I used to own, which when paired with the Atrio, lead to an overload of bass and noticeably rolled-off highs.

Just the opposite happens with the Denons. With the v2 opamps, the lows were flabby, the mids distractingly recessed, and the highs shrill and uncomfortable. With the TopKit the mids are brought back, the lows tightened up (an odd change given that the Atrio's lows turned flabby), and the highs became MORE detailed while simultaneously smoothing out. The more sibilant recordings I listen to remain sibilant, but the harshness of it is pretty much gone. It's also interesting that I hear more of the background hiss from vinyl rips, and yet it's actually less distracting.

Really a wonderful match up here, and big thanks to HiFlight for putting up with all of my questions. His experiments with different opamps have lead to a fantastic improvement in this (sadly outdated) DAC/amp. Awesome!

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #2,617 of 2,626
That is great to know. I will have to try those opamps in it one of these days.

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #2,618 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is great to know. I will have to try those opamps in it one of these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I purchased a TopKit from HiFlight, including the 2x AD743JN in L/R and LMH6655 in buffers (don't remember what's in the DAC)....Really a wonderful match up here, and big thanks to HiFlight for putting up with all of my questions. His experiments with different opamps have lead to a fantastic improvement in this (sadly outdated) DAC/amp. Awesome!

I'm stunned you don't already have this topkit in yours, jamato8.

Packgrog is right on the money, except I'd hardly accept something to be outdated because it's no longer FOTM
wink_face.gif

The DAC opamp is the LT6234 (although some chose the LT6241 at the time, I believe the LT6234 is the better for the D1 DAC).

In terms of SQ the DAC is not at the D10 level but more than acceptable for desktop and bedside rigs IMHO. And, yes, the amp section seriously performs with this topkit (in fact without the hiss the similar topkit has with the D10!).

Have fun with this combo, folks. I've used a couple of these for a while now, though one is more a backup to my D10 rig nowadays, and they are a terrific little bundle of quality sound.
icon10.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #2,619 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm stunned you don't already have this topkit in yours, jamato8.

Sometimes I just like to stun people. You know, just to see people flopping around like fish in a bucket. . . stunned. . .

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2,620 of 2,626
Well, it's a great option for those of us who just can't afford the D10 yet, but still have a D1. I've contemplated selling the D1 and getting some kind of stationary DAC, but I do still move it between home and office over the weekends, so that wouldn't work out so well for me.

I do still miss my Monica 2 DAC, though. That thing was just so smooth. With the new opamps in the D1, though, it's closer to what I enjoy. I no longer get that stark "digital" feel to the music. It really is a wonderful improvement. I kind of take it for granted at times, now, just because it's so natural that it just gets out of the way of the music. Really nice.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #2,621 of 2,626
I am using my Monica II dac right now. With all the modifications to it the sound is excellent. At home I use a large power supply at 12 volts for the Monica and it is very open and dynamic. On the road my battery supply still does and fine job.

The D1 with new op amps though would be a great package and all in one. I look forward to more impressions.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #2,622 of 2,626
Not that I want to get side-tracked with thoughts on the Monica, but I actually think I liked the Monica 2 better than the Monica 3, at least for my uses at the time. Monica 3 was so much louder that I had little to no play in the volume with my D1 and Atrio, and the low impedance of the Denon AH-D2000 means I would have had the same problem with that (I think both are 32 ohms? I have the volume the same for both).

The biggest thing I can say about the TopKit in the D1 is, again, that it just seems to get out of the way of the music: detailed without distracting harshness, deep bass without flab (especially impressive with the stock D2000). I suspect that your results with all of those upgraded capacitors in your D1 would have even better results.

I'm actually considering attending another local meet if one is ever organized. I'd love to compared this to the Headamp Pico and Qables iQube. Moon Audio had these at the first local meet I went to, and those two amps blew me away. I would be surprised if either amp weren't a bit better than the D1, especially the iQube, but it'd be fun to find out how close it can get with the TopKit. I'd also love to try out the D1 with some other cans. I suspect I'd still hate the K701 and love the HD650, but it's always nice to know what these things really sound like together. Never gotten to test the D2000 directly against either of these. Sadly, though, almost no one in my area gives a crap about portable gear except me, so I will NOT be going out of my way to travel or share my gear.

Anyway, I'd be interested to read your own experiences if you pick up the TopKit, John, especially in comparison to use with the Monica 2 (the only direct comparison experience I have with your gear), as well as some of the newer DACs and DAC/amps. More info is always good! Almost as good as more music!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #2,623 of 2,626
I have those opamps so as not to Stun anyone, I will give them a try. :^)

The Monica II those is fine. I have Black Gates X 4 220uf hiQ right at the power pin for the dac section. This really gave it a boost in sound quality. Yeo thought it would just add to the capacitor sound but it doesn't.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #2,624 of 2,626
I feel so lost and out of place here lol, i read a few pages explaining the upgrading and im still very lost

i just want my d1 to drive headphones better without changing much else :\

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #2,625 of 2,626
Well there will be limits with it. It depends upon what headphones you are driving and how loud you wish to go. There have been a number of advance since the D1. I enjoyed it very much but times change. The D4 would offer a nice and powerful amp with a dac. For the D1, what opamps are being used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back