New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #2,432 of 2,626
Hey, HiFlight. I'm trying to think of something to compare your post to. If I think the AD797 sound rich/thick, will your new combo sound like that but with better highs? Or do the better highs come at the expense of less bass/mids? Also, are you getting any of the thinness that comes with the LT1364? (assuming you agree that the LT1364 sounds thin). Also, how good is availability in general on these chips you're talking about?

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #2,433 of 2,626
I started reading this thread shortly after Jam started it. I followed for about 65 pages before I stopped. I finally made the jump, and purchased a D1 on the FS forums. I'm really excited to hear how this little guy sounds. It's latest version from iBasso that I got.

I hope this amp is all it seems to be
smily_headphones1.gif
I see myself sending off some PM's to certain OP Amp rolling experts in the very near future. As much as I've tried and would like to, I still can't solder a damn thing. But I must hear the stock D1 before anything.

I was foolish to think I was done once I got an Arietta, it seems to have only just begun!
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #2,434 of 2,626
I think the 1364 sounds thin, for what it's worth. The AD797 is about as thick as I've heard in the L/R (at the expense of some clarity).

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #2,435 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by haymaker18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the 1364 sounds thin, for what it's worth. The AD797 is about as thick as I've heard in the L/R (at the expense of some clarity).

I disagree somewhat - not so (at all!) in my Xenos 1HA-EPC and in my SUPER Pro DAC 707. It has a lot of bass extension and dynamics in both, and a pleasant sense of "meat" with vocals. Probably it depends on the circuit surrounding it.

Instead I did not find the AD797 so thick, when used to drive headphones.

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #2,436 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by blues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree somewhat - not so (at all!) in my Xenos 1HA-EPC and in my SUPER Pro DAC 707. It has a lot of bass extension and dynamics in both, and a pleasant sense of "meat" with vocals. Probably it depends on the circuit surrounding it.

Instead I did not find the AD797 so thick, when used to drive headphones.

You may be right...I was referring to how these opamps sound in the D1.

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #2,437 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, HiFlight. I'm trying to think of something to compare your post to. If I think the AD797 sound rich/thick, will your new combo sound like that but with better highs? Or do the better highs come at the expense of less bass/mids? Also, are you getting any of the thinness that comes with the LT1364? (assuming you agree that the LT1364 sounds thin). Also, how good is availability in general on these chips you're talking about?

The new combo is rather hard to compare, but overall, it is not as thick/rich as the 797, but fuller with a better soundstage than the 1364. The highs are more realistic than either of the others. Lows are there, but not over-emphasized.

It is a very neutral sound. Good sources sound outstanding, mediocre sources sound not so good. This combo covers up nothing. What is there, or not there is what is presented.

It is probably not an opamp combo that would be preferred by a dyed-in-the-wool basshead.

I personally like the sound better than the AD797 because of the nearly perfect highs. Crystaline and accurate. Much of my evaluation time was spend listening to recordings that I had heard live, and those that had lots of highs and transients, such as cymbals, snare drums, etc.

Lows are easier for an amplifier to portray correctly than are the highs, as highs are very rich in harmonics and overtones.
Think of telling the difference between an oboe and clarinet, viola vs cello.

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #2,438 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new combo is rather hard to compare, but overall, it is not as thick/rich as the 797, but fuller with a better soundstage than the 1364. The highs are more realistic than either of the others. Lows are there, but not over-emphasized.

It is a very neutral sound. Good sources sound outstanding, mediocre sources sound not so good. This combo covers up nothing. What is there, or not there is what is presented.

It is probably not an opamp combo that would be preferred by a dyed-in-the-wool basshead.

I personally like the sound better than the AD797 because of the nearly perfect highs. Crystaline and accurate. Much of my evaluation time was spend listening to recordings that I had heard live, and those that had lots of highs and transients, such as cymbals, snare drums, etc.

Lows are easier for an amplifier to portray correctly than are the highs, as highs are very rich in harmonics and overtones.
Think of telling the difference between an oboe and clarinet, viola vs cello.

Outstanding explanation...thanks!

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #2,439 of 2,626
I have to still rank the AD743 on a 2:1 as my favorite, with the AD797 right behind it. I am guessing that I am leaning in the direction of "basshead" except for the fact that the Denon D5000 bass was too much for me, so that goes against logic.

While the 743 may not be as bassy as 797, there is no tilting of the sound in the direction of the highs, and the highs and mids are clearer, and the "sub"bass may even be more audible.

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #2,440 of 2,626
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean - the LT1364 alone driving the phones without buffers (and if so with what DAC opamp), the LT1364 used for only the buffers, or the LT1364 used in all sockets? It's not exactly the same.

BTW, if you like the THS4032 for the buffers, you really have to try the THS4052, since it is almost the same but with more suitable parameters for the purpose.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #2,441 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by blues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what you mean - the LT1364 alone driving the phones without buffers (and if so with what DAC opamp), the LT1364 used for only the buffers, or the LT1364 used in all sockets? It's not exactly the same.

To clarify, the LT1364 was used WITH buffers and various DAC opamps. I am not displeased with the LT1364 as LR, I just think the ISL55002 is better.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #2,442 of 2,626
Although I really do like the ISL55002, I still have a couple of new combos to evaluate in both the D1 and P2. I don't yet know which will find a permanent place in my D1, but the field is certainly narrowing!

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #2,443 of 2,626
Quote:

To clarify, the LT1364 was used WITH buffers and various DAC opamps. I am not displeased with the LT1364 as LR, I just think the ISL55002 is better.

Could be! I want to hear the new Intersil opamp.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #2,444 of 2,626
Does anyone know where to buy the ISL55002IB? Newark seems to be able to order it, but it is supposed to take like 40 days of lead time! Also, they can direct ship it from supplier, but then the one opamp is $20.

Any other ideas of where to purchase?

Also, of the stocked LM6172 at Newark, is there a preference between LM6172IM/NOPB and LM6172IMX...looks like the MX might have a higher voltage cap?

Thanks for the help--there's so many of these little difference and I don't always find them clear on the descriptions.

-dan

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #2,445 of 2,626
FWIW, both ISL55002IB and LM6172IM appear to be in stock at Avnet Electronics. I just ordered several of each.

-dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back