New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 23, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #1,801 of 2,626
I received my D1 in the mail yesterday (ordered on Oct. 1 and shipped on Oct. 14) and i must say that I am very pleased so far. It is very nicely built and sounded very good to me stock (playing flac optically from my rockboxed ihp-140). I was anxious to start opamp rolling and didn't waste any time replacing the stock opamps to OPA 2111 L/R, LM 4562 buffers, and 8656 for the DAC. Listening to this combination with my akg-701 headphones was far beyond my expectations, i have never heard anything this good before. I think the best part about it was how non-fatiguing it was to my ears, i was up till 3 am listening to it (i couldn't get enough!).

I put an order in to parts connection today for some blackgates that Jamato had recommended (They only had 180 uf Sanyo SP 20v) I hope that it will work, as far as I can tell the SP series replaces SG.

Thanks to everyone that has posted info in this thread, I love this place!

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #1,802 of 2,626
HiFlight, just wondering if you could send me the tracking number via PM.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #1,804 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These kinds of posts should be in PM's, and not on the discussion forums. Thanks!

My apologies, but I imagined that he would be getting a lot of PM's regarding the D1 and whatnot.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #1,805 of 2,626
Im a bit confused as to the current situation with the D1.
Am I right in saying there is an updated verison coming out in November? How do people know this? Will it still be called the D1? Will the updated version be more expensive? Why did they feel the need to update it, considering all the good reviews? Is anyone else fed up with this barage of questions?
Cheers, Andy

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #1,806 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by egdivle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im a bit confused as to the current situation with the D1.
Am I right in saying there is an updated verison coming out in November? How do people know this? Will it still be called the D1? Will the updated version be more expensive? Why did they feel the need to update it, considering all the good reviews? Is anyone else fed up with this barage of questions?
Cheers, Andy

There's going to be a different version of the D1 with different opamps released sometime in November; it'll be more expensive, but not by a significant amount. People know this b/c iBasso's been in contact (and vice versa) with some members of head-fi and they felt the need to release a different version since the unit improves significantly with different opamps installed (fyi, there is no "be all, end all" configuration, it varies per person although there are certain combinations of opamps that work better than others).

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #1,807 of 2,626
i think it shall be same called as D1 but just update on opamp, i will confirm with ibasso some day later, guess they are facing short of supply now
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #1,808 of 2,626
As some may remember, my D1 got battery issues a month back, and I sent it back to iBasso. They later sent a replacement (once restocked with enclosure and the new leather cloth, which fits better - here about customer intimacy and responsiveness).

Unfortunately the replacement is faulty (the USB/DAC does not work), and within a couple of days, they sent me another replacement, while I continue listening to the 'faulty' one (everything but the DAC works, it's hooked via coax to my computer).

I've got to say, ordering online is always a gamble when it comes to customer service, especially when the company is abroad and does not have a front end store, but ibasso have continuously supported users with great willingness and been highly helpful; on top of listening to customers comments/suggestions on this forum. I wish more companies were like that.

Kudos.

And the D1 is bloody fantastic with the 2111!!!!

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #1,809 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got to say, ordering online is always a gamble when it comes to customer service, especially when the company is abroad and does not have a front end store, but ibasso have continuously supported users with great willingness and been highly helpful; on top of listening to customers comments/suggestions on this forum. I wish more companies were like that.

Kudos.

And the D1 is bloody fantastic with the 2111!!!!

x2

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #1,811 of 2,626
gonna try this here. Move this if verbotten over here but...

I am looking for a nice case or something that fits well so I can try to use this along with my iriver at my waist. Anyone have any suggestions? I refuse to do the rubber band thing folks. Besides I need the weight of this brick to be spread out a little.

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #1,812 of 2,626
I do love testing different stuff, I am always on the lookout for the "next" stage, or at least another toy....

Anyways, as I have remarked a few times, the D1 does not play nice with the DT880.

Today I got a pair of AKG 340, and although they are as hard to drive as the DT880s (I am listening with the volume at 3 o'clock...) the combination feels very natural, not so say almost .... ..... right.

The drive is there, control is there and still all the details sparkle.

I am so glad I got the D1!!
icon10.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #1,813 of 2,626
All right. I just got them. And they sound so congested... Bass is punchy and aggressive in a good sense, though. Still waiting for opamps from HiFlight to come in. More detail than the Total BitHead I had before, especially in the lower frequencies.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #1,815 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of onboard DIP sockets does the D1 use for the opamps? (You know the black sockets that they have for us to plug in the opamps.) I was wondering where I could purchase them in the US. Is there a specific name for them?

There are many different manufactures and styles. I like the simple tin plated type with a finger pressure socket, not the round socket for each leg as the finger type holds up very good and I prefer the sound of the simple tin plated type vs gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back