New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 1, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #1,441 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colscot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to try swapping op-amps. Are they all drop in replacements or do they require to be soldered ?

Colin

Most of them are SOIC configuration and need to be soldered onto adapters. A few are DIP configuration that can be plugged directly into the D1 socket without the need for adapters.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #1,442 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colscot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to try swapping op-amps. Are they all drop in replacements or do they require to be soldered ?

Colin

A quick search will show you that they are DIP. SOIC opamps need to be soldered onto adapters before dropping into the DIP sockets. Search is your friend.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #1,443 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Now, where the heck can I buy some of those OPA627 op amps these days?
Everywhere is always out of stock till the end of time on these. I need at least 4 of them for a Pioneer VSX 49Txi DAC mod project. And also wondering if any lucky few that have this chip have tried to use it in the iBasso D1 circuit? How does it sound? Or is it too voltage hungry to be used in the iBasso D1?

Check for a PM!

BTW, the OPA2107 sounds quite similar to the OPA627.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #1,444 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check for a PM!

BTW, the OPA2107 sounds quite similar to the OPA627.

Got it! Returned PM.

I will order some OPA2107's too to try out.
Thanks!

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #1,446 of 2,626
Can anyone tell me what the voltage is on the opamp power rails? (battery and off the wall wart, if there's a difference) I'm trying to decide if I want to order duplicates of some of the opamps I have in my GV5S.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #1,447 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really know how optical works, but sorry to ask this again. Would running the D1 from optical out of a M-Audio transit be better than straight through the D1?

Depends on whether the D1 draws power from USB, and if so how well filtered it is. When I used my Alien DAC (usb-powered) with a cheapo usb hub, it was much noiser than straight out of my laptop. I'd lean towards optical out being better just because noise was a serious issue using usb. Though if it doesn't use usb for power it's probably a moot issue.

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #1,448 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine' /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on whether the D1 draws power from USB, and if so how well filtered it is. When I used my Alien DAC (usb-powered) with a cheapo usb hub, it was much noiser than straight out of my laptop. I'd lean towards optical out being better just because noise was a serious issue using usb. Though if it doesn't use usb for power it's probably a moot issue.

It doesn't draw power from the USB hub. I guess maybe I shouldn't spend money for the transit just for optical. Anybody else have any ideas on this topic? Should I run the D1 through an M-Audio transit for better sound?

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #1,449 of 2,626
Sorry if I am detouring the conversation, but I just received my D1 today (actually the bride received it last Monday when I was out of town and misplaced it! I found it this morning in with the fine china!!!! Thoughts???!!!). I charged up the batteries and listened to Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto from a D-EJ2000 with a SysConcept mini-toslink, and, well....my goodness....I must say I was taken with the clarity, especially how the high tones of the piano ring (versus sound a little fuzzy and tinney). I am so used to my iMod G4 --> SuperMacro, and a quick listen of the exactly the same thing (lossless) on the iMod, the difference in clarity of the D1 set up is so clear. I am not sure about the bass. It sounded a little muddy, but I was very pleasantly surpised.

Given how much excellent talk there is about improving this amp with opamp rolling, I am curious to know how much one could improve on this.

More later.....now you can go back to the technical stuff.....!

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #1,450 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine' /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me what the voltage is on the opamp power rails? (battery and off the wall wart, if there's a difference) I'm trying to decide if I want to order duplicates of some of the opamps I have in my GV5S.

It is a bit less than 6vdc.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #1,451 of 2,626
Opamp at 4.9 and the buffers at 9 volts on pin 8.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #1,452 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by roberhofer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having similar problems. Plus I can replicate this on two laptops.
One is a Asus V2JE. Pretty new, Vista. When connecting the IBasso via USB everything works initially great. However as soon as I do something that uses graphics (scrolling, switching windows) I get crackling noises. So I connected the IBasso via the Docking Station to see whether this seperates this somewhat. In this case when I have interactions that taxes the graphics subsystem I get dropouts (just as DennyL mentioned) and have to stop the media player (I tried several) and start the song again for IBasso to sync again.

Trying to eliminate the problem I connected the IBasso to a older IBM T22 laptop via USB. It has a fresh install of Windows XP. It connected, Windows detected the IBasso as a USB sound device and played great - till something used the CPU and then the same problem: crackling noises.

This is REALLY annoying: I bought this primarily to get good sound out of my laptop since I spend a lot of time listening to music in this way. And the experience is now anything but better. So till this is solved I am using the Laptop headphone jacks and the IBasso D1 is dormant.

Anyone else who has similar issues? Or is USB Audio simply unreliable? I eliminated Vista (which has a new Sound driver architecture) since the same is true on my T22 Windows XP laptop. Next step is to use SPDIF, however I first need the right cable....

I've tried to create this problem on either of my computers, and cannot no matter what I do. One is a desktop running Win 2000 Pro, using Foobar with kernel streaming, and the other is a laptop with XP Pro, Foobar default config. I've tried encoding flac to ogg, which kicks cpu to 100%, and nothing, not even a gap in the music. I've even tried running a movie on the laptop, and it can play the music and the movie simultaneously. Really not sure what the problem is, but it doesn't seem to be either the OS or usb.

Desktop:

Emachines 3080 with Athlon XP3000+ 1gig
Nvidia fx-5700 256mb

Laptop: Inspiron 5100 P4 2.6 Ghz 256mb
ati 7500 16mb

both the desktop and the laptop are playing music from the same usb hard drive, a 120gb eStar portable.

I realize you've worked around this by going to spdif, but perhaps you could post more specs on the computers that had the problem, and the problem could be nailed down and solved. thanks!

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #1,453 of 2,626
I have had problems with USB DACs (Meier and iBasso) when Skype is loaded on my computer. Skype does some off things to audio drivers. Something to look into if you have been using Skype.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #1,454 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadEmu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried to create this problem on either of my computers, and cannot no matter what I do. One is a desktop running Win 2000 Pro, using Foobar with kernel streaming, and the other is a laptop with XP Pro, Foobar default config. I've tried encoding flac to ogg, which kicks cpu to 100%, and nothing, not even a gap in the music. I've even tried running a movie on the laptop, and it can play the music and the movie simultaneously. Really not sure what the problem is, but it doesn't seem to be either the OS or usb.

Desktop:

Emachines 3080 with Athlon XP3000+
Nvidia fx-5700 256mb

Laptop: Inspiron 5100 2.6 Ghz
ati 7500 16mb

both the desktop and the laptop are playing music from the same usb hard drive, a 120gb eStar portable.

I realize you've worked around this by going to spdif, but perhaps you could post more specs on the computers that had the problem, and the problem could be nailed down and solved. thanks!

roberhofer's problem has nothing to do with the D1. It's just the way the CPU is handling things. I get this problem sometimes as well with any of my sound cards. Not just my D1.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #1,455 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
roberhofer's problem has nothing to do with the D1. It's just the way the CPU is handling things. I get this problem sometimes as well with any of my sound cards. Not just my D1.

Same here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back