New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 2, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #1,456 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if I am detouring the conversation, but I just received my D1 today (actually the bride received it last Monday when I was out of town and misplaced it! I found it this morning in with the fine china!!!! Thoughts???!!!). I charged up the batteries and listened to Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto from a D-EJ2000 with a SysConcept mini-toslink, and, well....my goodness....I must say I was taken with the clarity, especially how the high tones of the piano ring (versus sound a little fuzzy and tinney). I am so used to my iMod G4 --> SuperMacro, and a quick listen of the exactly the same thing (lossless) on the iMod, the difference in clarity of the D1 set up is so clear. I am not sure about the bass. It sounded a little muddy, but I was very pleasantly surpised.

Given how much excellent talk there is about improving this amp with opamp rolling, I am curious to know how much one could improve on this.

More later.....now you can go back to the technical stuff.....!

You hear the same clarity that I slobbered about in my review on page 58, and you only just got it today! Wait until the amp burns in after 300-400 hours of use and you will BE EVEN MORE AMAZED. ALSO, the bass WILL clean up with time.

My opamps and buffers will be here next week, and from what everyone
says, the jump in sound quality with different opamps will match or exceed the jump in improvement from burning it in!

Oh, wait, my LM4562's are here now - hmmmm, can you say "new buffers"? All I need is more energy and to feel better, so I can tackle the project. My lung disability has kept me from work for almost 5 weeks now.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #1,457 of 2,626
Listening to KD Lang, Shadowland. Whoa, extra good. Bass, great staging , great fun.

I hope your lungs gets better. I am also a critical care nurse and have taken care of plenty of people with pulmonary problems. My ex wife was in ICU for 3 months with it and my brother lost his wife to COPD.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #1,458 of 2,626
Fibrosing mediastinitis, left pulmonary vein obstruction, pulmonary hypertension on the left side, ectatic bronchial arteries, hypoxia, erosion of granulomas through the bronchial walls, bronchiectasis, asthma and random pulmonary hemorrages.

It certainly wont get better, just pray it don't get worse...

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #1,459 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You hear the same clarity that I slobbered about in my review on page 58, and you only just got it today! Wait until the amp burns in after 300-400 hours of use and you will BE EVEN MORE AMAZED. ALSO, the bass WILL clean up with time.

My opamps and buffers will be here next week, and from what everyone
says, the jump in sound quality with different opamps will match or exceed the jump in improvement from burning it in!

Oh, wait, my LM4562's are here now - hmmmm, can you say "new buffers"? All I need is more energy and to feel better, so I can tackle the project. My lung disability has kept me from work for almost 5 weeks now.

So sorry to hear about your lungs. I hope you recover quickly and fully.

Sneaking another quick listen (Sibelius 4). I really wonder if this is not better than my expensive stereo system! Seriously! More intimate and so bloody clear and transparent.

I am sure other opamps make a difference, but out of the box, I am so impressed. I don't know how to roll opamps, so this configuration will be it for me. Oh, how I will suffer!

Take care.

p.s. There have been a number of posts with problems with LEDs and now batteries. I hope mine stears clear of these!

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #1,460 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fibrosing mediastinitis, left pulmonary vein obstruction, pulmonary hypertension on the left side, ectatic bronchial arteries, hypoxia, erosion of granulomas through the bronchial walls, bronchiectasis, asthma and random pulmonary hemorrages.

It certainly wont get better, just pray it don't get worse...

That sounds absolutely dreadful. I hope music helps. I wish you all the very best and we'll send you all good thoughts that it doesn't get worse.

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #1,461 of 2,626
So - has anyone else noticed that ibasso is putting a white "paste" or glue on the batteries AND THE OPAMPS? On the 8616 and 823, they've glued the adapter to the board and sockets using the paste. I don't see that in Jamato's pictures. Anyone else dealing with this in the opamp rolling ideas?

I imagine this is a procedure to keep the unit in one piece while being transported; it probably also tells them if someone's been messing with their unit if they complain; or it keeps the modifications being widely broadcast on this site from being implemented. . . (cue music).

Anyway, suggestions on how to remove/deal?

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #1,462 of 2,626
I have seen a few companies do this because the socketed items might be jarred out of place. My Little Dot Micro Tube amp had the tubes glued in place! You have to carefully pry them out but work away the glue first. Someone needs to email them about this. There intention was that people could roll opamps and mold the sound to their liking.

Using my Tekkeon external battery and ahhhh, what a sound. Clean and ooopen. Great fun. Teflon sound, smooooth and clean and notes don't get stuck together.

You heard it here first. . . . Teflon sound. . . . . notes float free unencumbered. . .

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #1,463 of 2,626
That is not an adhesive glue. The opamps lift out quite easily, even with the white material. I lifted them out on Mrarroyo's D1 with a small screwdriver as easily as those in my D1 which had no potting material. I am guessing that it is used to dampen vibration or movement during shipping.

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #1,464 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by splawren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So - has anyone else noticed that ibasso is putting a white "paste" or glue on the batteries AND THE OPAMPS? On the 8616 and 823, they've glued the adapter to the board and sockets using the paste. I don't see that in Jamato's pictures. Anyone else dealing with this in the opamp rolling ideas?

I imagine this is a procedure to keep the unit in one piece while being transported; it probably also tells them if someone's been messing with their unit if they complain; or it keeps the modifications being widely broadcast on this site from being implemented. . . (cue music).

Anyway, suggestions on how to remove/deal?

I was thinking the same thoughts and agree with you. The glue serves a dual purpose. It keeps things tightly in place during transit and also through time and it also acts as an indicator to iBasso service that you have removed the opamps and/or battery if you should report that the unit is defective and request warranty service. But then why put socketed op amps in place? They surely know that head-fi'ers are going to roll op-amps. So maybe it is just to hold it in place and reduce vibrational loosening effects.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #1,465 of 2,626
I just done my first opamp rolling!
smily_headphones1.gif

Today, OPA2111 KP arrived, and straightly I conduct operation within my D1. Result? Fantastic~

Before I change the default opamp (AD823), I put it on for listening for about 1 hour, so I would expect the differences after I change it to OPA2111KP, and yes! it's improved~

However, I still waiting for LM4562 arrived... so I could change the buffer as well...

But I have a few questions,

does OPA2111KP & LM4562 (x2) only improve analog input, headphone amp section?

Does it improve the DAC output? (Through USB/Optical) For instance USB -> D1 -> Headphone out ?

or do I need to change the DAC output opamp as well? AD8656?

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #1,466 of 2,626
Does anyone know what effect the various op amps that can be rolled into the D1 have on its 20-hour battery life? Are there any that drain significantly more current?

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #1,467 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just done my first opamp rolling!
smily_headphones1.gif

Today, OPA2111 KP arrived, and straightly I conduct operation within my D1. Result? Fantastic~

Before I change the default opamp (AD823), I put it on for listening for about 1 hour, so I would expect the differences after I change it to OPA2111KP, and yes! it's improved~

However, I still waiting for LM4562 arrived... so I could change the buffer as well...

But I have a few questions,

does OPA2111KP & LM4562 (x2) only improve analog input, headphone amp section?

Does it improve the DAC output? (Through USB/Optical) For instance USB -> D1 -> Headphone out ?

or do I need to change the DAC output opamp as well? AD8656?

You need to use the AD8656 to improve the DAC output opamp.

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #1,468 of 2,626
So far it's sounding great. But I've got a question for those that have it.

With Foobar ASIO through the D1 to my Beyer DT880s... is it normal to need the volume knob at around the 3 o clock position?

Just seems like a lot.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #1,470 of 2,626
I recently had 2 D1s on loan, one stock (brand new) and a second, opamp rolled (modded). While the stock D1 was an excellent amp ( I prefer the Move as an amp only) it could not stay in the same room with the modded D1, especially when
the D1 is engaging its DAC via optical cable. It takes this amp to another level, so much so that I began to a/b with my desktop Heed and it pretty much held its own except in soundstage and 3 d layering. Quite an accomplishment for a pure portable. The modded D1 blows the Move out and an amp/dac combo. It is also better as a pure amp with an analog connection. It is warmer and truer than the Move; not by a lot but by enough to make mention. It was a real accomplishment by those that found these opamps to improve the D1. They deserve an enormous amount of credit and to all those who have a stock D1: something to seriously consider. It will upgrade your amp several leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back