New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Sep 1, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #811 of 2,626
This is just what I've been looking for for use at work, no issues with soundcard on work pc, can opamp roll (otherwise fiddle around) and it's reasonably priced.

Ordered today let's see how long it takes and what UK customs charge me
rolleyes.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #812 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampjoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious: why did you guys choose the AD8066 specifically? Why not the AD8620, OPA2107, AD746, even OPA2134 ... which are all more musical opamps than the AD8066, at least for my ears?

Cause that was my first time and you can't be picky on your first time... I have no idea, so I went with an opamp mentioned on this thread which was readily available to buy soldered to a brown dog.
tongue.gif

What do you think of the OPA627BP? Would that work? Good sound?

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #813 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound is slightly better. Highs are still too harsh for me (better though). Biggest improvement comes from the overall musicality of the amp that has improved quite a bit.

I have not changed the buffers. Will try to find them as well as the 2111 if I can get my hand on one that's soldered.

I ordered mine from the following company, in Australia. I am sure you can find a seller that would do the soldering for a fee though:

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/I...+Module+AD8065

Note that I linked to the AD8065 cause it seems I bought the last mounted AD8066. You can search this website and you'll notice they sell most opamps either by themselves or mounted. Hope you can find that kind of services where you need it.

Thank you. I will try to find a company that sells readily mounted op amps in Europe. If I succeed I will add a link.

Sep 1, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #814 of 2,626
Ron and jamato, I am still wondering how the sound changes when you leave in the stock buffers and just put in a OPA2111 or a AD8066 ...

Sep 1, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #815 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need experience to solder this correctly. You need a low wattage (25-30) small tipped soldering iron and the right technique and you need adapters that do not have something already soldered on them. While opamps that are already soldered in place can be taken off this requires experience or you will mess up the board. Practice is needed first with soldering and using the correct method. We all start somewhere but reading about soldering and then practicing is highly recommended. Brown Dog adapters are one of the adapters you can use and solder the new opamp to.

Tangent tutorials has a video for "Surface Mount Soldering Techniques" which is useful.
http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/tt03.html

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #816 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ron and jamato, I am still wondering how the sound changes when you leave in the stock buffers and just put in a OPA2111 or a AD8066 ...

Somewhat improved, but not nearly as much change as replacing the buffers with the AD8397...I think the stock buffers sort of lend most of the different LR opamps a very similar sound signature. The buffers by far made the most noticeable difference in the character of the sound.

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #817 of 2,626
Quote:

Cause that was my first time and you can't be picky on your first time... I have no idea, so I went with an opamp mentioned on this thread which was readily available to buy soldered to a brown dog.
tongue.gif

The OPA 627 is considered by many to be one of the best sounding opamps going, notwithstanding the extremely high cost. Unfortunately for D1 users it is a single-channel opamp. The D1 uses dual channel opamps.

The OPA2111 sounds quite similar to the OPA627, IMHO. The OPA2107 output also resembles the sound signature of the 627 more than many other opamps.

There are many dual opamps that can be tried. Who knows, you may find a real gem! As Jamato mentioned, opamps can sound very different to different ears, and individual preferences vary greatly.

It is much better to listen with your own ears than to use second-hand ears!

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #818 of 2,626
Quote:

I would also love to know, but ppl didn't seem to like the idea of using two opamps instead of one each of which drawing quite some current (in addition OPA627BP is DIP (and the B grade series is only in DIP and TO99) and based on the pictures, the corresponding Brown Dog converter might just fit or just not, so some soldering trick might be needed):

c.f. earlier post by jamato and follow-ups

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #820 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OPA2111 sounds quite similar to the OPA627, IMHO. The OPA2107 output also resembles the sound signature of the 627 more than many other opamps.

Although I know that sound perception is not really an exact science (as was just discussed), quoting TI:

"When compared to OPA111 op amp, the OPA627/637 has lower noise, lower offset voltage, and much higher speed."

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #821 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, my D1 is scheduled to be delivered on Monday, 9/4.

Who is delivering on Labor Day?

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #823 of 2,626
I have just scored 2 OPA2111s from ebay. Since I only need one for my D1, I can make second one available to a fellow iBasso-head
cool.gif
(of course after I receive it from the seller). PM me if you are interested (first come, first serve).

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #824 of 2,626
Since I've been having such a blast with my Sony D-EJ2000 feeding the optical input of my D1, I've decided to look for another PCDP with an digital output as a back-up.

So to facilitate my quest and also to assist other members, I've begun to compile a listing of portable sources with digital outputs:

PCDPs & DAPs w/Digital Output Listing

So please feel free to stop by the thread and help out with any models missing from the list!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back