New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 21, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #361 of 2,626
And here are some more pictures. Quality is not good as I only have my cell phone camera

"Pictures removed as they were too big and buggered everything up but I don't have editing tools with me at the moment"

Compared with my >600 hours Reference it can not hold itself but that could change after some burn-in. As a straight line amp it does not have gain enough to drive my K340's, even at max on the volume dial it is too quiet. I mailed iBasso about this and got the reply that they can't go over the 6 gain it is build with because the dac part outputs 1.5V so this might be resolved once I get hold of my optical cable to connect the Sony that way instead of line-in.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #363 of 2,626
Some nekkid profile shots and size comparison to my Go-Vibe V5S:

iBD110.jpg

iBD114.jpg

iBD115.jpg

iBD111.jpg

iBD112.jpg

iBD113.jpg

At only 15 hours of burn-in, it's still kinda early to say, but power-wise it is already on par with the Go-Vibe (with 24v external power supply) in its ability to drive my 40 Ohm Ultrasone PROlines.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #366 of 2,626
This looks really interesting, keep the reviews coming.

If portability is not an issue, what would be the better DAC+amp for me between the D1, move, FubarIII or any other in the $200 range? To be used mainly with my laptop and HD600. The optical in the D1 is really a plus for use with a pcdp.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #367 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If portability is not an issue, what would be the better DAC+amp for me between the D1, move, FubarIII or any other in the $200 range? To be used mainly with my laptop and HD600. The optical in the D1 is really a plus for use with a pcdp.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254408

A couple more suggestions.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #368 of 2,626
Regarding the lack of volume in the D1: I cannot imagine needing more volume, even with my AKG701s there is more volume than I can tolerate. Normal live listening levels result in about a 12-1:00 position on the volume knob.

Perhaps the volume of the source is much too low?????? For optimum performance, the source volume should be near max.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #369 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Based on my evaluations of the Move vs the iBasso so far, if I could only have one amp, I would pick the iBasso because of the flexibility of the inputs. Having the optical input as well as the USB is a really useful feature. I don't know of another amp that combines all of the features incorporated into the D1 at anywhere near that price point!

Quality of construction and audio performance leave little to be desired, IMHO.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #370 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the lack of volume in the D1: I cannot imagine needing more volume, even with my AKG701s there is more volume than I can tolerate. Normal live listening levels result in about a 12-1:00 position on the volume knob.

Perhaps the volume of the source is much too low?????? For optimum performance, the source volume should be near max.

The source is a Sony pcdp with line-out so no volume adjustment possible. On my Reference I have the volume at about 2'oclock with the K340's and that is about right for me (others who have tried it maxed it out and could have used more). With the D1 I can't achieve this volume even when maxed out. This however is not the way I intend to use it, rather I will be using it optical out and according to iBasso going thru the dac will give me much more volume. Anyway I will not even be using the amp part, I only bought it as a dac to feed the Reference (unless the amp part when fully burnt-in can outperform the Reference or get very close).

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #371 of 2,626
For those using the Westone UM2, Shures, or other very sensitive IEMs, I find that the iBasso D1 has only a barely perceptible hiss at full volume with muted input. It is only apparent at max volume and totally silent at lesser settings.

That was something I was initally concerned with, as my tube amp has a low hum at all volume settings with this type of phone. I was pleased to discover that this is not the case with the D1, Move, or Reference.

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #372 of 2,626
Thanks everyone for the impressions! They seem to be pouring in now that the D1 is in people's hands. I'm glad to hear its sounding good now. This may be the solution I have been looking for, but have been unable to find until this was released
smily_headphones1.gif

Sadly, I may have to wait a little longer to get this. I planned on getting some HD580's, but they're becomming harder and harder to find. I may end up getting the 580's first, then saving for the amp. Decisions decisions! With that said, just to be safe, the D1 will drive the 580 with no problems?

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #373 of 2,626
HiFlight, can I get some thoughts on how well the D1 synergizes with your K701. You said volume was more than enough, which is reassuring. Any other impressions? Does it add any bass or warmth, or do anything else?

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #374 of 2,626
Maybe someone could downsize their images. It makes it hard to read this. :^)

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #375 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my evaluations of the Move vs the iBasso so far, if I could only have one amp, I would pick the iBasso because of the flexibility of the inputs. Having the optical input as well as the USB is a really useful feature. I don't know of another amp that combines all of the features incorporated into the D1 at anywhere near that price point!

Quality of construction and audio performance leave little to be desired, IMHO.

If neither optical input nor size was very important, would you go with Move or D1 used as USB-DAC+Amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back