New pictures of supermacro-3 v5
Sep 28, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 35
IIRC, last time it was $100 for the internals + $20 for the case.

I don't know if it is feasible for Xin to extend the upgrade for all SuperMacro-3s sold.... maybe upgrades for SMv3's that are newer than two months?

Sep 28, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 35
I don't think there will be an upgrade option because this is a total redesign and in a sense a totally different amp. I could be wrong but as an owner of a couple of V3's and seeing the big change in design, I have no problem with purchasing a new amp. Many manufactures when they come out with a new design, do not offer to exchange the old amp for a new one.

John

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #19 of 35
There was a short run of the V2 before the V3. I like the sound of the V2 and find it very open. There were some changes and I believe the V2 had a two layer board vs the 4 in the V3 and there were other changes. What I listen to now is the V3 with two buffers per channel and running in class A with the Allen Bradley resistor biasing the opamp. I anxiously await the V5.

John

Sep 28, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 35
Hmmm, I wonder how this will compare to the hornet. I'll end up buying the best one.

"Let's get it on!"
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #22 of 35
I would get a new SM3 V5 as pre and an original SM3 (2XBUF634) as a power amp to be a pre-power comb, which sounds much better than a single SM3, IMHO. I screwed up a SM3 when modifying it and ready to send it to Xin for repair; I wonder if Xin would provide some upgrade route for it.

Sep 29, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
There was a short run of the V2 before the V3. I like the sound of the V2 and find it very open. There were some changes and I believe the V2 had a two layer board vs the 4 in the V3 and there were other changes. What I listen to now is the V3 with two buffers per channel and running in class A with the Allen Bradley resistor biasing the opamp. I anxiously await the V5.

Ok, thanks.
I have a 4 switch V1 with the 627/634 combination, which I really like.
I will wait for the dust to settle (and my wallet to heal) before thinking about the 5
cool.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
The supermicro might be a better comparison to the hornet...

How so? I don't know much about amps of any type, let alone portable ones. I thought the SMacro was one of the top ends one, and the same for the hornet...
+They're both in the same price range?

Can you please clarify?

...I suspect it's a case of mistaken accronyms on my part (SM, Sm...?)

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #25 of 35
The new supermicro is smaller than perhaps any other amps. In fact I doubt it could get any smaller because it's about the size of 2 AAA batteries.And Hornet is also very small. Isn't it a great time to be a portable amp user?
etysmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decel
How so? I don't know much about amps of any type, let alone portable ones. I thought the SMacro was one of the top ends one, and the same for the hornet...
+They're both in the same price range?

Can you please clarify?

...I suspect it's a case of mistaken accronyms on my part (SM, Sm...?)

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #26 of 35
But what about the quality? Man, I'm starting to regret that I didn't get that 295$ deal...
frown.gif

BTW, is the SuperMicro also from Xin?

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #27 of 35
Yes the SuperMicro is also a product from Xin.

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #28 of 35
Oct 2, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #29 of 35
How will you compare the SM3V5 with the Xenos 3HA ?
Those are my final choices for my H120 + Senn HD595 .
I know the SM3 is pricier but does it worth all the extra feature ?

Oct 2, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oeryk
I too am still undecided. I have narrowed my search down.

I have been looking at the SuperMacro and the RSA Hornet. Not sure which I should get.

I'm in that boat too, but I'm leaning towards the SM3 just because of those 4 lovely switches!
wink.gif

In fact, is there any news on when the V5, Mini & Micro will be released and any prices. I remember the old SM3 being $350.
If the Micro is considerably less, I could be persuaded. Xin amps using AAAs interest me too, seeing as I have 8 950MaH mothers doing nothing with a monsterous charger.
icon10.gif

Hopefully one of these will help my rather weedy sounding PX200s!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back