[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 30, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #3,046 of 5,962
So is it fair to say that the general consensus is that the E17 works well with the X1 and the difference in SQ compared to slightly higher priced systems like the HRT MicroStreamer or EHP 02D is minimal?

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #3,048 of 5,962
So is it fair to say that the general consensus is that the E17 works well with the X1 and the difference in SQ compared to slightly higher priced systems like the HRT MicroStreamer or EHP 02D is minimal?

I haven't heard the others but don't recommend the E17. I noticed a big difference between my sound blaster Z + starlight and the e17. I'll have the Aune T1 to test soon and can report back if you want. Of course those options are more $, but worth it IMO

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #3,049 of 5,962
I use The Aune X1 mk2 with my X1.
Imo, the makes x1 more balanced. The bass becomes more controlled and eliminates muddy sound, slightly more soundstage and separation. Not much different from E17, but I think Aune control bass more and gives a bit more space.
I also changed the cable from copper to silver cable. No improvement, just slight change on sound sig. With copper, you got more forward and fuller mids, but makes less space. Silver gives you more soundstage and separation, but more laid back and balanced sound.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #3,050 of 5,962
I haven't heard the others but don't recommend the E17. I noticed a big difference between my sound blaster Z + starlight and the e17. I'll have the Aune T1 to test soon and can report back if you want. Of course those options are more $, but worth it IMO

I have a laptop so would need a external DAC/amp. Do you know which budget external DAC/amp most people recommend with the X1?

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #3,051 of 5,962
  I have a laptop so would need a external DAC/amp. Do you know which budget external DAC/amp most people recommend with the X1?

What is your budget? A used T1 DAC/amp goes for around $140. I like the sound and flexibility that comes with tubes personally. Like I said, I can report back on it sometime soon.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #3,052 of 5,962
Yeah $140 is probably the absolute maximum I'd want to spend. Ideally my budget would be around $100 (similar to the FiiO E07K or E10). But I would rather not buy it if the increase in SQ is minimal (btw I live in England so not everything will be cheaply available here).

Maybe people could tell me how good it sounds on a scale of 1 to 10.

Where for example a 1 would be listening to a 128 kbps mp3 on an ipod using the default earphones and a 10 would be the sound in an IMAX theatre (maybe a regular cinema would be like 6/10). 

On this scale where would you place say listening to a Fidelio X1 on:

1) A laptop using default integrated sound card like the Intel HD.
2) Using the FiiO E17
3) Sound blaster Z + starlight
4) Other DAC/amps within my budget

Thanks,
Tom

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3,053 of 5,962
  Yeah $140 is probably the absolute maximum I'd want to spend. Ideally my budget would be around $100 (similar to the FiiO E07K or E10). But I would rather not buy it if the increase in SQ is minimal (btw I live in England so not everything will be cheaply available here).

Maybe people could tell me how good it sounds on a scale of 1 to 10.

Where for example a 1 would be listening to a 128 kbps mp3 on an ipod using the default earphones and a 10 would be the sound in an IMAX theatre (maybe a regular cinema would be like 6/10). 

On this scale where would you place say listening to a Fidelio X1 on:

1) A laptop using default integrated sound card like the Intel HD.
2) Using the FiiO E17
3) Sound blaster Z + starlight
4) Other DAC/amps within my budget

Thanks,
Tom

See the first post in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq
Author has tested:
  1. Sansa Clip+, IPhone 4, Sony S639f, S: Flo 2, Ibasso D1, and HRT Headstreamer, Channel Islands Audio VHP-2, AMB Mini3, Digizoid ZO v1 (not really an amp but acts as one), and Audioquest Dragonfly

To your question, I will just use 1 = ipod with earbuds and 10 = the ultimate headphone experience, and just my opinion of course:

1) laptop + X1 = 4 (depends on laptop, bass is boomy and a bit wild)
2) E17 + X1 = 4.5 (sound is a little improved, overall sound seems compressed a bit)
3) Z + Starlight + X1 = 6 (bass is well controlled, vocals/strings really start to "sing")
4) T1 = will have to get back to you

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #3,054 of 5,962
  See the first post in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq
Author has tested:
  1. Sansa Clip+, IPhone 4, Sony S639f, S: Flo 2, Ibasso D1, and HRT Headstreamer, Channel Islands Audio VHP-2, AMB Mini3, Digizoid ZO v1 (not really an amp but acts as one), and Audioquest Dragonfly

To your question, I will just use 1 = ipod with earbuds and 10 = the ultimate headphone experience, and just my opinion of course:

1) laptop + X1 = 3.5 (depends on laptop, bass is boomy and a bit wild)
2) E17 + X1 = 4.5 (sound is a little improved, overall sound seems compressed a bit)
3) Z + Starlight + X1 = 6 (bass is well controlled, vocals/strings really start to "sing")
4) T1 = will have to get back to you

So basically there's a bigger jump in SQ from X1+laptop to X1+Z + Starlight than from earbuds+ipod to X1+laptop? In that case I'd say the investment is well worth it.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on the T1. Looks intersting...

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3,055 of 5,962
So basically there's a bigger jump in SQ from X1+laptop to X1+Z + Starlight than from earbuds+ipod to X1+laptop? In that case I'd say the investment is well worth it.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on the T1. Looks intersting...

Hmm, I'm going to change X1+laptop to a 4.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3,056 of 5,962
  I use The Aune X1 mk2 with my X1.
Imo, the makes x1 more balanced. The bass becomes more controlled and eliminates muddy sound, slightly more soundstage and separation. Not much different from E17, but I think Aune control bass more and gives a bit more space.
I also changed the cable from copper to silver cable. No improvement, just slight change on sound sig. With copper, you got more forward and fuller mids, but makes less space. Silver gives you more soundstage and separation, but more laid back and balanced sound.

Could you also rate the SQ differences on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being the SQ of a 128 kbps mp3 listened to on an ipod with default earphones that come with it and 10 being the ultimate headphone experience.

Could you rate the following:

1) ipod +earbuds
2) X1 + laptop
3) X1 +Aune X1 mk2
4) X1 +E17 FiiO
5) Whatever other systems you've used to listen to the X1

Thanks,
Tom

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #3,058 of 5,962
  Could you also rate the SQ differences on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being the SQ of a 128 kbps mp3 listened to on an ipod with default earphones that come with it and 10 being the ultimate headphone experience.

Could you rate the following:

1) ipod +earbuds
2) X1 + laptop
3) X1 +Aune X1 mk2
4) X1 +E17 FiiO
5) Whatever other systems you've used to listen to the X1

Thanks,
Tom

ipod+earbuds (1)
X1+laptop (5)
x1+E17+copper cable (8) balanced, controlled bass.
X1+aune X1mk2+copper cable (8.5) If you prefer more forward mids, but less airy and separation.
x1+aune X1mk2+silver cable (9) I like this combination better because the sound becomes more balanced (but slight laid back), more airy and separation details. Kinda like E17, but with more air and separation details.
X1+Gtab 7plus (4)

Note that cable will not improve sound much, but it gives you slight different sound signature. If compared to stock cable, aftermarket cable is less muddy sound. Advice, just get cheap one...

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #3,059 of 5,962
Thanks a lot. These relative ratings are really useful. Anyone else got some suggestions of budget amps/DAC that go well with the X1? It would be useful if you could provide relative ratings of the SQ similar to the posts above.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #3,060 of 5,962

Custom Headset GEAR / Connection Cable with Gooseneck Microphone: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/custom-headset-gear.html

Got an email back from Beyerdynamic about this detachable microphone re it's impedance (a bit anal of me but there you go
smile.gif
):

The guys from our R&D department told me today that the impedance of the cable must be much below 1 Ohm. If you have further questions don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Joscha Kretschmann, B.A.
Product and Marketing Manager Headphones

OK, I know it's expensive at $70 and I wouldn't be using it all the time, but do you guys think it would fit the X1 with such a wide collar at the jack? The other option is a V=Moda Boom Pro or a Reloop RHM-10 (Modmics are still waiting for their new version).

***EDIT*** Now that I've got the X1 I really doubt if that fat looking jack shroud will fit into the X1 > look to the V-Moda, Mod-Mic or Reloop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back