[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 20, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #3,002 of 5,962
  Hi guys.

Im thinking about picking up a pair of these to run on my desktop computer that is running a Creative Sound Blaster Z.

I should be fine without an external DAC right?

You mean external AMP ?

Yeah, probalby as that card looks fairly beefy.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #3,003 of 5,962
  Hi guys.

Im thinking about picking up a pair of these to run on my desktop computer that is running a Creative Sound Blaster Z.

I should be fine without an external DAC right?

That should probably be fine. Even the external USB soundcard that came with my SteelSeries headset can get good (but not perfect) sound out of them.

They don't sound good with the onboard Intel HDA sound on my PC, and they get a little muddy with my smartphone (even with the relatively powerful output that comes with the ugly "b" logo on higher end HTC devices), but beyond that they are not very demanding when it comes to power.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #3,005 of 5,962
got an impulse buy yesterday for silver cable. Originally I want to ask for the astro mixamp, but the store is closed. Then I passed the cable store, and I bought it for 15usd.

I was wondering, have I spent 20usd for nothing, I'm still thinking that all those silver and copper cable are just nonsense.
so when I went home, I test the cable with the previous copper cable. After an hour of A B listening, I'm sure i listened a difference on sound signature.
Copper cable got fuller sound, especially mids, while silver cable got more laid back sound. However, with silver cable, the sound becomes more airy and I'm pretty sure I can hear bit more details.
Also, with silver cable, I must put more vol on my dac. With copper, I just dial to 9 0'clock, but with silver, I must dial to 10.
Its not an improvement, just noticeable change on sound signature imo.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #3,009 of 5,962
That is also my guess, Its only a silver plated copper. However, I do notice sound change for the copper cable after an hour of A B comparison.
The shop also got much more expensive silver cable though, they got from germany, japan, usa, holland and more, and sell like 100usd permeter.
I just took the cheapest one, because i dont think x1 will scale up far. I think this one is teflon cable.
I took the shop photo for my friend, here it is.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #3,012 of 5,962
Oct 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #3,014 of 5,962
Oct 25, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #3,015 of 5,962
These headphones will go down as classics.  They are one of the best headphones I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few over the years; Denon D7000, HE-500, Senheiser HD650, AKG 702, Beyerdynamic T90, Sony MDR 7506, etc.  These headphones hang with the best of them.  Yes, they are that good!

It just shows how ridiculously priced some of the so called "audiophile" gear is.

Philips has created something special here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back