[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 13, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #2,971 of 5,962
   Would you say it's on a similar level to the K702 65th/K712?  I'm trying not spend more than $300 right now.

Similar level. But definitely more "hi-fi" sounding. Actually, I'd say the X1s sound like hi-fi – like the sound you get when you listen to a pair of high-end, full size speakers (but not too large, say something with a tight 8" or a pair of 6.5" drivers at the bottom end) in a good listening room. Except you get that sound, both the speakers and the room, with direct headphone intimacy.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #2,972 of 5,962
  Speaking of comparisons...

I think I want a pair of closed backs that are more complementing than similar to these sound wise. I was thinking about the MDR-1R, but they seem to be even more laid back and I want something a little more forward. Momentum over-ear, maybe?

(And, aesthetically, I'd say the brown Momentum would make a very nice pair hanging beside the X1)

Although I haven't heard the X1, reading about the X1, I think the Momentums would be a very good complement. I can say with confidence that Momentums are a rather slow and laid-back headphone… Their mids and bass are wonderful for vocal music. Extremely forgiving.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #2,973 of 5,962
I suggest you to test few cans first. The x1 bass might be too much for some person. The akg also has better separation than the x1, but its less fun and more difficult to power.

I wish. All of the audio stores here center on loudspeakers. If you're lucky, you'd find a small corner with headphones. 
biggrin.gif
 Have any of you guys heard of any of the modded T50RPs? How do they fare with the X1 

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #2,974 of 5,962
What the "rumored" revision of the X1 needs to have is:

- Easily removable earpads
- Same cable design (no one can deny it's on sexy looking cable), but in God's name... lower the impedance
- Tighten the mid-bass by a smidgen

If they can get this right and the "revised" X1 goes for $300, it is very much then the best $300 one can ever spend on a headphone. I think I'm overhyping, but that's all the X1 needs to appeal to a broad range of consumers.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #2,978 of 5,962
I wish. All of the audio stores here center on loudspeakers. If you're lucky, you'd find a small corner with headphones. :D  Have any of you guys heard of any of the modded T50RPs? How do they fare with the X1 

The Alpha Dog is a completely different sound to the X1. It is a thicker sound, more intimate, more mid-centric, extends lower, and hits with more weight. Having both would be a great contrasting set, I love them both. You would need an amp with some decent power for the AD.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,980 of 5,962
The Alpha Dog is a completely different sound to the X1. It is a thicker sound, more intimate, more mid-centric, extends lower, and hits with more weight. Having both would be a great contrasting set, I love them both. You would need an amp with some decent power for the AD.

THANK YOU. I'm just waiting for a better comparison of the Alpha Dog and the Paradox after the hype's really died down. I'm already excited though

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #2,981 of 5,962
  I agree on pads and cable but not the mid-bass. I think that's that what gives the X1 its own signature among open backs, and there are plenty of other options for those who want tighter bass.

That's why I say a smidgen. The issue I find with the X1's bass is that it can at times be a little bit too slow to decay, just tightening it up by a few decibels will eleminate this issue and still keep that wonderful mid-bass present. It's not taking away the bass of the X1, it's just refining it a tad bit.

At least, that's what I feel. :p

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #2,982 of 5,962
I agree. It can be a bit loose. I love the emphasis it has, it's just a bit sloppy at times. A bass heavy phone doesn't have to be sloppy. Look at the Pro 900. That has much more mid bass (bordering on absolute thunder), but it's speedy, and hellishly tight.

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,983 of 5,962
I doubt Philips has a "tighten bass" adjustment for the X1.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #2,984 of 5,962
I think the "sloppiness" in the bass is a load problem rather than pure driver characteristics. It sounds snappy like a BA IEM with nice open music (acoustic, ambient...), but loses something with rock and so on where the spectrum is full rather than layered.

Not that strange considering that it's a bassy open headphone with just over 30Ohm impedance, so maybe it's a driver that's finicky with damping factor?

Maybe they should consider a high impedance audiophile version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back