[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 5, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #2,867 of 5,962
  Btw, chicolom... is an Astro amp worth going for if I want something for movies? I don't really care about top quality audio or even surround sound for that use, it's mostly that I need something not too expensive with an optical input and just enough power to drive full size cans.

Yeah, a used DSS v.1 for ~$25 is a good way to go.  A mixamp is overpriced if your not going to be using it for its best feature (mixing voice chat and game audio.)

I assume your optical source is doing Dolby Digital 5.1 so you can take advantage of the Dolby Headphone surround?

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #2,868 of 5,962

Yeah, a used DSS v.1 for ~$25 is a good way to go.  A mixamp is overpriced if your not going to be using it for its best feature (mixing voice chat and game audio.)

I assume your optical source is doing Dolby Digital 5.1 so you can take advantage of the Dolby Headphone surround?

Yeah, it has 5.1 output. I have a pair of Siberia V2s that have served my modest gaming needs well for the last two years, but I'm thinking that they won't last forever so the mixamp could come in handy in the future.

It's a smaller market here in Sweden, but I'll look into the DSS as an option as well.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,869 of 5,962
I'm buying these unheard, but I have gotten a really good feeling as the reviews have accumulated.

I've listened to a few analytical/reference phones and I like the full sound but tend to find them dry and a bit fatiguing in the long run. Musical phones have worked better, but they are of course musical in different ways and usually end up being confining in some way.

But from what I'm reading it seems Philips has somehow managed to start with the reference qualities but have warmed it up just right to end up somewhere in-between.

Sound about right to those who have had time to listen?

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #2,870 of 5,962
  I saw the new price at amazon.co.uk and ordered last night.

I'll have to wait until around next weekend though, since I had enough gift card balance for the phones but had to go for super saver since this month's budget is too tight to justify adding £8 for shipping across Europe.

I guess that means that this is the point where I no longer can deny I'm an audio junkie.
redface.gif

They were even cheaper a week ago (178) which is when I grabbed it....but its only a few pounds difference. Hope you like them!

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #2,871 of 5,962
  I'm buying these unheard, but I have gotten a really good feeling as the reviews have accumulated.

I've listened to a few analytical/reference phones and I like the full sound but tend to find them dry and a bit fatiguing in the long run. Musical phones have worked better, but they are of course musical in different ways and usually end up being confining in some way.

But from what I'm reading it seems Philips has somehow managed to start with the reference qualities but have warmed it up just right to end up somewhere in-between.

Sound about right to those who have had time to listen?

I would agree with what you should expect of the Philips. But I don't find the Audeze LCD-3s in any way fatiguing for long listens. In fact its the only headphone I own where I keep going for one more track before taking them off. I look forward to your feedback on the Philips once you get them.

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2,872 of 5,962
Mine are delivered. Now I just have to go sign for them.  I am soo excited to see them.

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #2,873 of 5,962

I would agree with what you should expect of the Philips. But I don't find the Audeze LCD-3s in any way fatiguing for long listens. In fact its the only headphone I own where I keep going for one more track before taking them off. I look forward to your feedback on the Philips once you get them.

I'm sort of mid-sensitive, the kind of person who easily can follow conversions across a park on a quiet night but spends a lot of time saying "what?" in bars.

I realized I have fewer problems with IEMs, so I'm guessing it's some kind of outer ear/tragus thing that make mids more easily overwhelming to me. An extended bottom seems to help tie things together.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #2,875 of 5,962
Wooo got them now!!

I am blown away by the packaging and quality of build.  These things are simply gorgeous.

Initial impression compared to my FA-011 is that they are warmer, have more tamed highs, and a bit more mid-bass hump, but doesnt extend quite as low as the FA-011.
Quite a bit more comfortable though.  Will definitely retire the FA-011's most likely.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,876 of 5,962
Mine are in Denmark now. I have an estimate for next Tuesday, and sometimes things I order with super saver delivery from Amazon seem to be meant to bounce around all over greater Copenhagen for days before going across the bridge an then on to me, but I have a feeling they may show up on Friday and spare me a long weekend.

And, since I'm on the subject... are referral links in context alright around here? I saw the warehouse deal when I showed the phones to someone at work earlier yesterday, and they were gone half an hour after I mentioned it here, so... :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #2,877 of 5,962
Went from the X1's which I liked sound wise, but could not get a comfortable fit to the Sony MDR-MA900. Holy moly, most comfortable headphones I have ever owned not even close. Such a value too. Truly overachiever status sound wise, I really liked how the X1 sounded but love how the MA900 sounds.

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,878 of 5,962
Had Sony MDR-CD1700 back in the day. I think I could have kept those on 24/7. They know comfort. I was half thinking about getting MD1-R to get that "Sony sound" again, but decided to go with the Fidelios now since I've never owned any quality open backed cans before. Might get the Sony as a suitcase friendly option in the future.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2,879 of 5,962
Today was the first day I plugged my X1 into my sansa clip and played some FLACs. All I have to say is I was very impressed how these cans perform without any amplification. I wasn't as much impressed with X1 when played through Aune T1 (as compared to K702 anniversaries) but now it seems they sound almost as good without any amp whatsoever. Definitely sweeter more musical than, let's say, my K550. I don't think anyone needs more than E17 or equivalent with X1 if they even want amp at all.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2,880 of 5,962
  Today was the first day I plugged my X1 into my sansa clip and played some FLACs. All I have to say is I was very impressed how these cans perform without any amplification. I wasn't as much impressed with X1 when played through Aune T1 (as compared to K702 anniversaries) but now it seems they sound almost as good without any amp whatsoever. Definitely sweeter more musical than, let's say, my K550. I don't think anyone needs more than E17 or equivalent with X1 if they even want amp at all.

I'm also on deliberation on buying the Aune T1 or matrix mstage to replace E17 for my X1.
You say that the Aune T1 is not a good pairing with X1 or is it just overkill?
Aune T1 is even cheaper (usd110) than E17 (usd 130) here in China. The matrix is 200usd and 250usd for the usb version.
Note, I will use either amp for my future cans, probably HD650 or k712.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back