[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #2,762 of 5,962
  I went straight from the line-out (green) on the SBZ > E09k.
The reason for this is because the SBZ's output impedance is at an oddly high 22ohms, despite Creative claiming it to be 10. I did a measurement and it did hover at 20ohms.

At 20 ohms, that I believe to be too high for the X1 as I regularly heard an imbalance in the bass. It drops and at times, distort at certain low frequencies.

People say the Xonar STX is a "good match" because the output impedance on it was 10ohms, typical of most Xonar audio solutions. But like many others has said in this forum, the general rule of the thumb is 1/8th as you already know. I personally feel that 10ohms as an output impedance is still reasonably okay like I explained in my previous post.

It would appear that the headphone amp on the Soundblaster Z and Zx both use the Maxim MAX97220A, but the ZxR uses the superior 80mw TI TPA6120. The ASUS Essence STX uses the very similar TPA6120A2.

Therefore, as you say about the STX being a "good match" with the X1 via the headphone out (albeit with a bit of colouration), would it be safe(ish) to assume the ZxR would behave similarly in this case?

Don't want to go to the additional expense of getting this $200 card and a $100 amp - may just go down the Titanium HD and amp route - might even try it out with my old very low impedance FiiO E5 first before getting a better amp.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,763 of 5,962
  My only reservations:
1. The freaking glued on pads. I searched this thread for "pads" but I dont think I saw any posts where anyone was able to find a good substitute for the originals? Any input on this? Has anyone successfully replaced the pads with something from another manufacturer? I think I saw someone mention Beyer pads.

You can always put covers over the pads to keep them clean.

2. The input jack durability. I read on two reviews so far (pocketlint and headfonia) that there have been people mentioning breakage of the input jack. Anyone have this happen? Does the jack seem flimsy?

I can't say about the jack durability, but I imagine if you baby the headphones and are careful it will be alright.  It doesn't feel flimsy or anything.

Some Questions:
Is the X1 mostly metal or plastic? I cant tell from reviews I've read. Looks like a mix of both, but I cant tell which piece is what.

It feels well built and has some metal (aluminium I think) on it.  I wouldn't worry about it as it feels better than most headphones in this price range.

My girlfriend bought me the Schiit Magni as a gift :D The output impedance on this thing is supposedly less than 0.1ohms. This is awesome, yes? Would I still benefit from swapping the cable?

Swapping the cable certainly wouldn't hurt anything, and it's cheap to do (~$5-10 dollars).

Anyone use this with the V-Moda boom-mic cable?

I think I've seen some people mention they have used those together successfully.

Anyone find a nice matching stand for these headphones? If they end up being my main headphones, I'd like to keep em pretty on a stand lol.

I dunno.  I keep mine in the box when not in use to keep them clean and dust-free.

Thanks!

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #2,764 of 5,962
You can always put covers over the pads to keep them clean.

I can't say about the jack durability, but I imagine if you baby the headphones and are careful it will be alright.  It doesn't feel flimsy or anything.

It feels well built and has some metal (aluminium I think) on it.  I wouldn't worry about it as it feels better than most headphones in this price range.

Yeaa, but ear pad covers would feel different and change the sound would they not?
Even worse, from what I've seen, all ear pad covers have no hole in the middle, so the cover would be against my ear the entire time...
And every other headphone in this price range has replaceable pads.

And about the build quality, again its not like these are below $150 or even $200. I could get the K701/702 for the same price and those have nice build quality. My only reservation with those is that they have less bass, and the K701 has no removable cable.

But so far most impressions do seem good. And my only real reservation is the replaceable pads.
In reality, I dont think I'd ever destroy or need to replace them anyway. But its nice to know that I can, and headphones in this price range really should have the option..

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,765 of 5,962

Yeaa, but ear pad covers would feel different and change the sound would they not?

These don't change the sound:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2625#post_9790098

They feel slightly different, but not bad or anything.

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,766 of 5,962
Even worse, from what I've seen, all ear pad covers have no hole in the middle, so the cover would be against my ear the entire time...
And every other headphone in this price range has replaceable pads.

And about the build quality, again its not like these are below $150 or even $200. I could get the K701/702 for the same price and those have nice build quality. My only reservation with those is that they have less bass, and the K701 has no removable cable.

But so far most impressions do seem good. And my only real reservation is the replaceable pads.
In reality, I dont think I'd ever destroy or need to replace them anyway. But its nice to know that I can, and headphones in this price range really should have the option..

No headphone is perfect and yes, the pad issue is a fail. I agree but there is a pic of someone that put Alpha pads on the headphone IIRC. He removed the stocker and put the Alpha over the ear cup. My kind go ingenuity. I did similar with my Pro900. It's all about getting creative and improving things.

My favorite saying to my friends is this - stock sucks. In anything. You should see my truck........

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,767 of 5,962
Sep 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #2,768 of 5,962
  My X1's are up for sale if anyone's interested in getting a pair:

I take it the TH900s made them redundant/obsolete?

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2,769 of 5,962

These don't change the sound:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2625#post_9790098

They feel slightly different, but not bad or anything.

o_O no offense but thats really quite ugly :\
(and yes, call me vain if you want, but looks do matter to me)

No headphone is perfect and yes, the pad issue is a fail. I agree but there is a pic of someone that put Alpha pads on the headphone IIRC. He removed the stocker and put the Alpha over the ear cup. My kind go ingenuity. I did similar with my Pro900. It's all about getting creative and improving things.

My favorite saying to my friends is this - stock sucks. In anything. You should see my truck........

Hmm. I did a search and found what you're talking about. This guy right: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2715#post_9817196
Good to know I have an option if the pads ever do get messed up.
Although I dont know if I'd want more bass and possibly lose other details.

I really want to smack the person who decided to glue these pads on >.<

Oh well, even if I were to get these, i wouldn't want to spend that kinda money for a few more weeks/months.
Just gonna follow these and see what happen. Also maybe the K712s will get cheaper lol.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2,770 of 5,962

I take it the TH900s made them redundant/obsolete?

Yeah, I just don't find the need to pick up the X1's when I have the TH900's sitting right beside them if you know what I mean 
size]

But even so, the X1's are amazing headphones for the price. When I first held the TH-900's in my hands and listened to them, the first thing I thought was how great of a value that the X1's are. It's unfair to compare them to a high end set of headphones, but the X1's just give you so much more for the money you are spending.

TH-900's are a bit overpriced IMO but I am still loving them.

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #2,775 of 5,962

It would appear that the headphone amp on the Soundblaster Z and Zx both use the Maxim MAX97220A, but the ZxR uses the superior 80mw TI TPA6120. The ASUS Essence STX uses the very similar TPA6120A2.

Therefore, as you say about the STX being a "good match" with the X1 via the headphone out (albeit with a bit of colouration), would it be safe(ish) to assume the ZxR would behave similarly in this case?

Don't want to go to the additional expense of getting this $200 card and a $100 amp - may just go down the Titanium HD and amp route - might even try it out with my old very low impedance FiiO E5 first before getting a better amp.

Yes the ZxR would amp the same way the STX does. As to which would sound better though, on stock I think the ZxR. But since both cards has the option to replace op-amps, it's a matter of preference then on the software side.

Value side however, the STX goes for $160 currently on Amazon and $220 for the ZxR. You can nab a STX for as low as $150 often times on Amazon too, so IMO the STX actually is a better a value. If you do already have sights on the Titanium HD, which I know can be had for as low as $130 new (or even less 2nd hand), you'd still want an amp to provide a clean signal as the THD's output impedance is something ridiculous at 36ohms.

You could just use your E5 with the THD though because as many has already said, an amp with plenty of power isn't needed for the X1. A clean signal is what you want.
So it all depends on how much money you're willing to lay down, there's no need to even spend that extra $100 for an amp if the E5 is working fine for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back