[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 25, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2,746 of 5,962
The 'rule' is.....don't worry about it and enjoy it as is.

That's my rule. 
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #2,747 of 5,962
Well, it can be problematic for some headphones. Making bass sloppier, making treble harsher, etc. So it's still something to consider.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,748 of 5,962
  Well I just picked up a X1 from forum member due to LME's recommendation to potentially replace my FA-011's.  

Right now I am using e17/e09k.  Anyone use this combo with them?  Been tossing around the idea of MM stack since I've used the "portable" e17 exactly 0 times.

I'm using the X1 with an E09k as an amp. From a PC, the DAC would be a Soundblaster Z and from a console it'll be from a TB DSS.

As to whether the X1 actually suffers much from the output impedance issue — yes, it does. BUT, the change in "detoriation" is actually so minute that I don't think you'll even realize a huge difference in any case, it certainly didn't for me. It did make the treble a slight bit brighter, which is actually a good thing because sometimes the bass on the X1 can just overpower through the mids and highs a little bit.

So for me personally, the output impedance isn't an issue and certainly as long as I don't get any distortion on whatever I'm listening then I'm fine with it. In this case, the E09k is a very clean amp that does the job for the X1, with just a slight change in signature. But like MLE said, if you're worried about it then just use your E17 since its output impedance is less than 1 ohm. Guaranteed to not have any dampening issues.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2,749 of 5,962
benbenkr .... very interested in your experience with the SBZ's and the Fidelio X1 (a friend has them and I turn want them too). I'm aiming for ZxR myself (for all round use inc. surround). You mention they go fine? However, were you using the E9 together with the Sound Blaster or were the X1's just plugged straight into the amplified headphone jack? (I would want to retain the surround DSP).

The impedance on the headphone out on the Z line I'm sure isn't the same as the STX's 10 ohms, but I can't pin down a number for the value. I've read on these forums that the STX/X1 combo is perfectly fine in real life, but the greater impedance of the SB range for such low impedance headphones like the X1 makes me worry.

Also it seems you can't effectively use the line out (RCA) on the SBZ range for surround (it works but is a bit borked) as Creative have apparently modelled the HRTF output in favour of speakers.. (Did the Titanium-HD do this too?).

Again many thanks.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #2,750 of 5,962
I went straight from the line-out (green) on the SBZ > E09k.
The reason for this is because the SBZ's output impedance is at an oddly high 22ohms, despite Creative claiming it to be 10. I did a measurement and it did hover at 20ohms.

At 20 ohms, that I believe to be too high for the X1 as I regularly heard an imbalance in the bass. It drops and at times, distort at certain low frequencies.

People say the Xonar STX is a "good match" because the output impedance on it was 10ohms, typical of most Xonar audio solutions. But like many others has said in this forum, the general rule of the thumb is 1/8th as you already know. I personally feel that 10ohms as an output impedance is still reasonably okay like I explained in my previous post.

All I did to enable SBX Surround was well, put it in Headphone mode, Windows stack at 5.1 and adjust the SBX Surround to my liking. It works because all it does is pass-through a surround signal to the E09k and all the E09k does is amp that signal. There's no magic trickery going on in the middle of the chain, so it just works. 

I did the same thing on a XtremeMusic previously as well, which uses CMSS-3D the same way the Titanium HD does.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,751 of 5,962
Hi, I just bought X1. I love the soundstage, smooth top and transparency. But sometime the bass really too much for some song.
Will burn in further can improve the overwhelming bass?

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #2,752 of 5,962
Don't expect miracles. Give it a week or so for you to adjust. If it remains too much, nothing will change that.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #2,754 of 5,962
Then I will use it for movie and gaming instead of music..  lol

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #2,755 of 5,962
I made a cable for the X1 with Plussound SPC and two Viablue connectors. I hadn't used the Viablue plugs before so I made it upon request for the practice.

Not sure if it's the wire alone or a combo of it and the plugs but when I tried it on my gear before shipping it out, it was like new life into blown into my gear. It was a noticeable improvement over other things I've tried. I had 0 expectation bias going in. Maybe even negative as I didn't expect it to be any different.

Can't wait to hear the members take with the X1 and the cable. Going to be at least a week due to shipping though.

Made me want to make another for my setup.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #2,756 of 5,962
So I've been bouncing around reading a ton of different reviews for different headphones (K550, K701/702, Denon D600, Pioneer HDJ 2000, M-100, X1, etc) trying to figure out what I like the most.

Right now I own the K240 (600ohm Monitor version) and XB500. K240 has great detail and I love the sound stage, but bass is lacking (even after my random little mods). XB500 has immense bass, but it feels sloppy and muddy at times due to lack of detail.

I have a TMA-1 as my one and only portable. I took my time with that one and picked it out. Love it, wont ever replace it, probably. But its not comfy enough for at-home use.

So far it looks like the X1 is exactly what I want.
I like the aesthetics of the K701, the X1 has similar aesthetics which I like.
I like the sound stage of open headphones, which the X1 is.
I like bass, and even the XB500 isnt too much (its just too muddy), so it sounds like the X1 fits this as well.
I want something comfy for at-home use, X1 fits.
I also want removable cable, so again X1 fits lol

My only reservations:
1. The freaking glued on pads. I searched this thread for "pads" but I dont think I saw any posts where anyone was able to find a good substitute for the originals? Any input on this? Has anyone successfully replaced the pads with something from another manufacturer? I think I saw someone mention Beyer pads.

2. The input jack durability. I read on two reviews so far (pocketlint and headfonia) that there have been people mentioning breakage of the input jack. Anyone have this happen? Does the jack seem flimsy?

Some Questions:
Is the X1 mostly metal or plastic? I cant tell from reviews I've read. Looks like a mix of both, but I cant tell which piece is what.
My girlfriend bought me the Schiit Magni as a gift :D The output impedance on this thing is supposedly less than 0.1ohms. This is awesome, yes? Would I still benefit from swapping the cable?
Anyone use this with the V-Moda boom-mic cable?
Anyone find a nice matching stand for these headphones? If they end up being my main headphones, I'd like to keep em pretty on a stand lol.

Thanks!

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2,757 of 5,962
I made a cable for the X1 with Plussound SPC and two Viablue connectors. I hadn't used the Viablue plugs before so I made it upon request for the practice.

Not sure if it's the wire alone or a combo of it and the plugs but when I tried it on my gear before shipping it out, it was like new life into blown into my gear. It was a noticeable improvement over other things I've tried. I had 0 expectation bias going in. Maybe even negative as I didn't expect it to be any different.

Can't wait to hear the members take with the X1 and the cable. Going to be at least a week due to shipping though.

One sexy as hell cable, right there.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #2,758 of 5,962

Please tell me I'm getting these sexy plugs

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,759 of 5,962
Please tell me I'm getting these sexy plugs

Sadly no. Those little PITAs run roughly $15 each. Not in most people's price range.

It's hard to say, "the connectors alone are $30".

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,760 of 5,962
Sadly no. Those little PITAs run roughly $15 each. Not in most people's price range.

It's hard to say, "the connectors alone are $30".

Argh Kamakahah why you do me like that? 
tongue_smile.gif

Maybe I can terminate the 400 cable in one of the $15 sexy beasts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back