[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #2,731 of 5,962
Got the Fostex TH-900 in today and while they are amazing, they made me appreciate the X1's that much more for what you are getting at such a low price. X1's are a steal at their current price point.

Philips FTW.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2,733 of 5,962
I'd love to try your TH-900.
biggrin.gif

Haha, maybe in due time. Not quite ready to ship these babies off yet. 
size]

But damn, I'm in that phase where you are going through your entire music collection with your new cans and keep smiling track after track. Still hearing things that I never heard on the X1's.... and surprisingly even on the K702 Annies.

Loving the way the bass is presented on these things.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,734 of 5,962
I hear they have bass just like the D7000... and trust me... THAT bass is the holy grail of bass for me. If I had $1500, the TH-900 would be the headphones I'd buy, no question.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2,735 of 5,962
I hear they have bass just like the D7000... and trust me... THAT bass is the holy grail of bass for me. If I had $1500, the TH-900 would be the headphones I'd buy, no question.

Yeah... I've been meaning to get a flagship for a while now and was researching a lot. I was looking at the HD800 for months and months (never actually heard them in person) but from what I was reading, they wouldn't really be suited for my tastes and would need a good DAC and AMP to go along with them.

At the same time I had also looked at the TH900 when they were at the $2000+ price point and I thought that was too much and never really looked at them again. But recently I noticed they had dropped in price and so I just had to try them... glad that I did.

However, I still think that the $1500 price point is a little high. Around $1000 would be a good price point for them IMO.

At the moment I'm thinking these are end game for me. They even sound great coming out of my E9K/E17 combo which surprised me. Although I will probably upgrade the DAC/AMP once I save up a little.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #2,736 of 5,962
Yeah, $1000 would make me bite... I'd sell off SOMETHING just to fund these.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #2,737 of 5,962
I want to try to use other cheap amp besides fiio E17.
Anyone here might know if the aune T1/X1 or Little dot Mk1/LD1 is suitable for the X1?
Which one do you think is best suited for X1? I was hoping its either the X1 or Mk1, because its like the Fiio E17, more practical and easy than tubes.
MLE,
According to Mahler flagship review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13
Getting the Denon D7000 is more worth it than th900. The sound is almost the same and the Denon is half less than Fostex. Of course its one choice to buy which one.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #2,738 of 5,962
The D7000 is extremely rare, and people are starting to ask for much more than I paid for them the last two times. I cant see myself spending considerably more for a headphone I bought twice for around $600.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,739 of 5,962
Yes, I must admit that the d7k is extremely rare now. A shop in hk and China that has it are asking for 900-1000usd. Still, much cheaper than the th900.
Strange that david's opinion for the d7k soundstage is different from yours. Or maybe its just my english not good enough to understand the review...

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #2,740 of 5,962
Yes, I must admit that the d7k is extremely rare now. A shop in hk and China that has it are asking for 900-1000usd. Still, much cheaper than the th900.
Strange that david's opinion for the d7k soundstage is different from yours. Or maybe its just my english not good enough to understand the review...

On our for sale board they are still staying pretty consistently in the $700ish range.  Surprising to me actually since to me they are the ultimate sound signature.   Like it so much I bought one each of the DXXX line.  And yes, modded them all.

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #2,741 of 5,962
I want to try to use other cheap amp besides fiio E17.
Anyone here might know if the aune T1/X1 or Little dot Mk1/LD1 is suitable for the X1?
Which one do you think is best suited for X1? I was hoping its either the X1 or Mk1, because its like the Fiio E17, more practical and easy than tubes.
MLE,
According to Mahler flagship review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13
Getting the Denon D7000 is more worth it than th900. The sound is almost the same and the Denon is half less than Fostex. Of course its one choice to buy which one.

I haven't personally heard the D7K but from what I've read, they are similar sounding but do have some distinct differences as well.

Here's a quote I pulled from another thread:

Originally Posted by Greed

"So far with initial impressions, I tend to agree. The Denon's... even modded can't touch the detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging, and instrument separation that the TH-900 has. I did find a nice upgrade over the stock D7K, after hearing a LA7000, but those changes were only in regards to the sound frequency. The other characteristics that make the TH-900 a reference "fun" sounding headphone are unmatched.
If you like boomy sub bass then I would look elsewhere than the Fostex series. They do bass with amazing control, the first time I put my TH-900's on I smiled because of how punchy and detailed the bass was. The Denon's... in comparison are more boomy with less control. I would say they suit a bass head's needs a lot better, and they are cheaper as well. Out of the four choices you have there, I would choose either a D5K, or D7K over any of the other choices."

From what I am hearing from the TH900's so far I whole heartedly agree with the above quote in that the detail and instrument separation are amazing and the bass is not boomy. It is punchy and controlled.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #2,742 of 5,962
Well I just picked up a X1 from forum member due to LME's recommendation to potentially replace my FA-011's.  

Right now I am using e17/e09k.  Anyone use this combo with them?  Been tossing around the idea of MM stack since I've used the "portable" e17 exactly 0 times.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #2,743 of 5,962
The X1 wouldn't be an ideal match to the E09K due to high output impedance, since it may slightly alter the frequency response of the X1 (maybe more/less bass, and less/more treble, etc). However, the effect may be too subtle to pick up, and/or it may actually make it more enjoyable. All in all, I suggest trying the X1 off the E17 first, then trying it with the E09k and see if the E09K affects it negatively in comparison to the E17 alone.

The E17 alone is good enough for the X1 in case you have problems with the E09k.

The X1 isn't reliant on powerful amping, and I used it with the E17 with great results, even after having used the X1 with the much, much more powerful Compass 2 for awhile.

The M/M stack should be a very good combo for the X1, due to their cleaner, slight treble orientation compared to the Fiio which is on the warmer side. The X1 can always use some extra control in the bass, which I believe the M/M stack will do better.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #2,744 of 5,962
The X1 wouldn't be an ideal match to the E09K due to high output impedance, since it may slightly alter the frequency response of the X1 (maybe more/less bass, and less/more treble, etc). However, the effect may be too subtle to pick up, and/or it may actually make it more enjoyable. All in all, I suggest trying the X1 off the E17 first, then trying it with the E09k and see if the E09K affects it negatively in comparison to the E17 alone.

The E17 alone is good enough for the X1 in case you have problems with the E09k.

The X1 isn't reliant on powerful amping, and I used it with the E17 with great results, even after having used the X1 with the much, much more powerful Compass 2 for awhile.

The M/M stack should be a very good combo for the X1, due to their cleaner, slight treble orientation compared to the Fiio which is on the warmer side. The X1 can always use some extra control in the bass, which I believe the M/M stack will do better.

Thanks for the reply!!

I'll give that a try when they get here.  

Edit:  I think I read it before, but high output impedance + high impedance cans = better?
So with most of my low impedance cans I will hear a difference from using the e17 output?

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #2,745 of 5,962
The 'rule' is to use headphones with 8x the impedance of the headphone amp's output. Since the Fiio E9k is 10ohm, you will typically want to use headphones over 80ohm for the best possible damping factor. It's NOT a requirement. Planarmagnetic headphones like the Hifimans are basically immune to the effects of output impedance, and will stay stable in frequency response regardless of whatever amp you attach them to. Certain dynamics like the AKg K70x line are also not finicky with output impedance. They pair up well with the Fiio E9K, despite them being 64ohm.

I also loved the D7000 off the E9, and the D7000 is only 25ohm. Even preferred the D7k off it vs the Lyr or NFB5.

So it's not an ultimate rule, but a general rule.

Just give them a try, and see if the X1 sounds different enough with the E9K compared to the E17. If not, then don't worry about it and enjoy it as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back