[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #2,716 of 5,962
[/IMG]

With Mad Dogs Alpha angled pads!

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #2,719 of 5,962
That impression is more than likely going to be biased.... but who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

Unless he has a stock X1 right next to him to compare... all I'm expecting is "The Alpha pads brought the X1 to a new level, etc, etc."

I'm really skeptical of impressions like that, especially when the stock form isn't there for direct comparison.

I remember people praising the PX200 pads on the KSC75. I tried that, and it was HORRIBLE. The only time I heard a clear improvement was on the HE-400 going from pleather to velour... which was quite obvious at least to me.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,720 of 5,962
Hi. There's no need to cut through anything. The ear pads can be removed. You just have to grip it and pull it off. There's 4 studs aligning it. (Do a search in this thread on my name. I think somewhere in June I posted a few pics on this).

I have been racking my brains on alternative ear pads as I find the X1 ear cavity too small for me. Plus the velour is not as comfy as the Beyerdynamic.

The problem is getting an ear pad with a wide enough lip to, pardon the phrase, lip over the ear cups. Again, see my June pics. I finally realized the Mad Dog ear pads are the only ones I know with a wide enough Mick Jagger-like lips to do this.

Now to the sound. I don't have golden ears but I only did this an hour ago and to me it sounds okay. Now the X1 is a real bass machine. Purists will probably disagree but to me, comfort ranks slightly higher than sound quality.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #2,721 of 5,962
That impression is more than likely going to be biased.... but who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

Unless he has a stock X1 right next to him to compare... all I'm expecting is "The Alpha pads brought the X1 to a new level, etc, etc."

I'm really skeptical of impressions like that, especially when the stock form isn't there for direct comparison.

I remember people praising the PX200 pads on the KSC75. I tried that, and it was HORRIBLE. The only time I heard a clear improvement was on the HE-400 going from pleather to velour... which was quite obvious at least to me.

Luckily I didn't see your comment as I was typing my reply then and lucky I didn't talk about higher levels.

My priority is always comfort first and unless sound quality is totally compromised as a result I'm okay with that. I have enough headphones and amps to choose the right combo for the music I want to listen to.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,722 of 5,962
So the change added bass. Going from velour to leather which isolates better, that much was my first assumption on the change. You add something, something else gets taken away. The question is what? Do you vageuly remember the mids or treble? Soundstage?

I ask because pads can drastically change a headphone's sound from frequency, to tonality, etc.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #2,723 of 5,962
There is no doubt when you add something you take away something. And the angled pads probably changes something too.

At the end of the day I hardly used my X1 as I hated the ear pads and the lower headband which I have also modified. So I can't remember the stock sound.

But it's comfortable enough for me now into second hour and I'm enjoying it.

Do note I'm not disagreeing with you and don't mean to be rude. I'm just enjoying a new lease of life for my X1 which I was on the verge of giving up. Luckily I had bought my mad dogs with an extra set of ear pads. I had bought it for my upcoming HE400. I may have to buy another pair again.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,725 of 5,962
  X1s uncomfortable 
confused.gif

These are literally the most comfortable phones I have ever put on my head
The pads are incredible and the headband is great

Have to agree, I think the comfort is top-notch.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #2,726 of 5,962
Remember guys, we all hear and feel differently. 

Some even think the M-100 is comfy..................
eek.gif

I thought the X1 was the most comfy headphone but I would love to try it with Alpha pads....................

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #2,727 of 5,962
Yes, that meme is more suitable.
My x1 is paired with fiio e17 now. I wonder how it is sound when paired with little dot mk2... its not that expensive, but considering to buy astro mixamp for my 360.

You really don't need Amp for games, I tested my Astro amp with Magni for an hour, the Astro alone is good enough.

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,728 of 5,962
Remember guys, we all hear and feel differently. 

Some even think the M-100 is comfy..................:eek:

I thought the X1 was the most comfy headphone but I would love to try it with Alpha pads....................
'Nuff said. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2,729 of 5,962
Agreed. One of the X1's best traits is its ability to sound excellent in gaming without extra amps. It is a solid package.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2,730 of 5,962

You really don't need Amp for games, I tested my Astro amp with Magni for an hour, the Astro alone is good enough.

Astro will be used with my 360, and hopefully with the ps4 later. Fiio e17 is only for pc use. Yes the x1 is very efficient, it even sounds so good without any amping.
Investing on astro is quite a bit for me now, 100usd in HK and China, and I'm not even playing multiplayer on console. However if ps4 can also use it, its a good investment. I think ps4 can use it, since it got optical out too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back