[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 26, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #2,536 of 5,962
What's your musical preferences Salvatore? I believe your observations need that context to be complete.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #2,537 of 5,962
Quote:
What's your musical preferences Salvatore? I believe your observations need that context to be complete.

Oldies, blues, funk and stuff like that. I also listen hip hop and for that the X1 are great engaging cans.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,538 of 5,962
Quote:
Hi all,

I will be getting my Fiio E17 tomorrow (hopefully) and I am contemplating on a test bed as below

PC (Soundblaster ZR) -> X1
PC (Soundblaster ZR) -> Astro Mixamp 5.8 (DD) -> X1
PC (Soundblaster ZR) -> Fiio E17 -> X1
PC (Soundblaster ZR) -> Astro Mixamp 5.8 (DD) -> Fiio E17 -> X1
SG3 -> X1
SG3 -> Fiio E17 via USB OTG -> X1

What do you guys think? I will mainly test the set ups based on Instrumentals / Movies / gaming

can't wait to read it

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,539 of 5,962
Hi all,

I will be getting my Fiio E17 tomorrow (hopefully) and I am contemplating on a test bed as below

PC (Soundblaster ZR) -> X1
PC (Soundblaster ZR) -> Astro Mixamp 5.8 (DD) -> X1
PC (Soundblaster ZR) -> Fiio E17 -> X1
PC (Soundblaster ZR) -> Astro Mixamp 5.8 (DD) -> Fiio E17 -> X1
SG3 -> X1
SG3 -> Fiio E17 via USB OTG -> X1

What do you guys think? I will mainly test the set ups based on Instrumentals / Movies / gaming

For music, the best sound will be out of the third socket, line out, and choose stereo direct in the Z panel (this will disable all DSP and bipass the soundcore chip). Don't use the Z controller unit for your tests as it's been known to lower the SQ. The ZxR has better components than the E17, I'm interested to know if you hear a difference between it and using the E17 as a DAC.

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,540 of 5,962
Because I know how much you all care, I just wanted to state for the record how much I am enjoying the X1's. Firstly, they are so comfortable that I can wear them seemingly forever without even noticing them. Very nice. And they sound so wonderful (fun, engaging, non-fatiguing) that I rarely feel the need or impulse to switch over to something else and instead I find myself simply enjoying the music  with a big grin on my face. Very nice again! That is the end of my public service announcement lol.
size]

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,541 of 5,962
Quote:
Because I know how much you all care, I just wanted to state for the record how much I am enjoying the X1's. Firstly, they are so comfortable that I can wear them seemingly forever without even noticing them. Very nice. And they sound so wonderful (fun, engaging, non-fatiguing) that I rarely feel the need or impulse to switch over to something else and instead I find myself simply enjoying the music  with a big grin on my face. Very nice again! That is the end of my public service announcement lol.
size]

Glad you're enjoying them. I'm going to snatch a pair up when I get back from my holiday's. I've been longing for an exciting sounding open back headphone that doesn't make my ears hurt after 10 minutes.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,543 of 5,962
Quote:
@Sound Quest: Beautiful phone at your avatar. Which one is this? How it sounds? 

Thanks. It's the "Aureol Real" by "Teufel". It can sound pretty good, but need's a little EQing. I find there's a bit too much emphasis around the 1000hz region causing noticable sibilance on the vocals, but an equalizer can help smooth it out.

It's not a bad open-back headphone for the money, but there's probably better to be had for a little more. They look quite nice, but feel a little fragile and plasticy. But I've had mines for just over a month and they still look like i've just taken them out the box, so they're surviving the elements so far. :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,544 of 5,962
Thanks. It's the "Aureol Real" by "Teufel". It can sound pretty good, but need's a little EQing. I find there's a bit too much emphasis around the 1000hz region causing noticable sibilance on the vocals, but an equalizer can help smooth it out.

It's not a bad open-back headphone for the money, but there's probably better to be had for a little more. They look quite nice, but feel a little fragile and plasticy. But I've had mines for just over a month and they still look like i've just taken them out the box, so they're surviving the elements so far. :)

You shouldn't be getting sibilance at 1kHz

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #2,546 of 5,962
Quote:

Thank you very much, Sound Quest. For €100, maybe it is worth a listening. Its brother, "Aureol Massive" also looks good and is even cheaper (€70). Who knows... 

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #2,547 of 5,962
Aug 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #2,548 of 5,962
That is one cool looking headphone!

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #2,550 of 5,962
Quote:
New release from Philips: SHP9500

According to head-fier sorieno, pricing will be similar to the L1 (around 150€).

104 € on Amazon.it! :D

I think I might look a bit silly with these giant letters on my ears, anyway the headphone design is simply stunning! Probably I'm going to pre-order one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back