[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #2,417 of 5,962
I have a Fiio e10 but think the X1 performs better on my Denon pma 720 the bass is tighter and the overal sound is more lively to my ears....so i will keep it locked in my Denon....i think the new Schiit Magni combi will do just fine it's only 99$ a piece

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #2,418 of 5,962
Quote:
Hey guys what do you recommend as a good portable DAC/amp solution for the X1?
Looking to make the most of my beautiful beautiful X1's :D

I have been using a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 for 4 years now. Made a big difference with my HD595 and speakers, but with the X1 the difference is minimal. First of all I don't think the X1 needs much of an H-amp, a DAC however is always welcome but don't spend too much if you'll only use it for the X1. The X1 seems to be an headphone which barely asks anything from it's source.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2,420 of 5,962
I have been using a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 for 4 years now. Made a big difference with my HD595 and speakers, but with the X1 the difference is minimal. First of all I don't think the X1 needs much of an H-amp, a DAC however is always welcome but don't spend too much if you'll only use it for the X1. The X1 seems to be an headphone which barely asks anything from it's source.

This. I feel the X1 prefers more of a cleaner source than more power. I've hooed it up to the E17, E12, Compass 2, and I felt the difference in terms of power is minimal, but changes more with the dac used.

I like it's sound off just tbe E17 for portable use.

Honestly, it sounds great even unamped, so pick at least something halfway decent.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,421 of 5,962
Watup guys,

I was hoping for some opinions to help sway my decisions as to what headphone I should buy. I have been reading multiple threads such as MLE Headphone Gaming Guide (TYVM Sir, much appreciated and really grateful), Philips Fidelio X1 Review and Comparison, AKG Q701 vs AKG K702 65th Anniversary, (Chicolom u get a lil shoutout as well), The K712 Pro Support and Appreciation, this one, and many others as well as other forums on different websites for a couple of months now but first time posting in a forum. I'm going in blind to this mid fi / hi fi thing. From the list of possible headphones I've narrowed it down to the AKG K702 65th Anniversary or X1 because they seem like they are most to my fitting but also because of how cheap I can get them and my budget. My budget is $325 and I can buy the Annies from my friend brand new still wrapped for $300 or the X1 from mass for $189. I would be pairing either of these with a Xonar Essence STX that I bought really cheap. The headphone would be used for playing video games, watching movies/tv, and music in that order. Percentage wise it would breakdown like 60% gaming, 25% movies/tv, 15% music. Games I would play would be RPG, FPS, action/adventure, 3rd person shooters on PC. I also listen to wide variety of music such as classical, pop, chillstep, jazz, rock, electronic/industrial, country, etc pretty much whatever my ears like but mostly rap, hip hop, r&b. I would want the headphone to play music decently although its not the main focus. That said I was leaning towards the X1 because of price and seems better suited for me but would go with #2 choice of Annies because I need that headset to last me a few years before I would think about getting another one as I am a broke college student and fear because X1 pads are not replaceable as the Annies are. I will have to make a decision by Friday for what I'm going to get but as I said in the beginning looking for some opinions, advice, or info I may have overlooked that would be of any help as two which I should get.
Thanks
popcorn.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,422 of 5,962
The STX has a high output impedance which may make the X1 sound worse. The Annie isn't affected by the output impedance. For your soundcard, the Annie would be a better fit.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,424 of 5,962
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A8LZ5GU

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,425 of 5,962
Quote:
Watup guys,

I was hoping for some opinions to help sway my decisions as to what headphone I should buy. I have been reading multiple threads such as MLE Headphone Gaming Guide (TYVM Sir, much appreciated and really grateful), Philips Fidelio X1 Review and Comparison, AKG Q701 vs AKG K702 65th Anniversary, (Chicolom u get a lil shoutout as well), The K712 Pro Support and Appreciation, this one, and many others as well as other forums on different websites for a couple of months now but first time posting in a forum. I'm going in blind to this mid fi / hi fi thing. From the list of possible headphones I've narrowed it down to the AKG K702 65th Anniversary or X1 because they seem like they are most to my fitting but also because of how cheap I can get them and my budget.

I would be pairing either of these with a Xonar Essence STX that I bought really cheap. The headphone would be used for playing video games, watching movies/tv, and music in that order. Percentage wise it would breakdown like 60% gaming, 25% movies/tv, 15% music. Games I would play would be RPG, FPS, action/adventure, 3rd person shooters on PC. I also listen to wide variety of music such as classical, pop, chillstep, jazz, rock, electronic/industrial, country, etc pretty much whatever my ears like but mostly rap, hip hop, r&b. I would want the headphone to play music decently although its not the main focus.

That said I was leaning towards the X1 because of price and seems better suited for me but would go with #2 choice of Annies because I need that headset to last me a few years before I would think about getting another one as I am a broke college student and fear because X1 pads are not replaceable as the Annies are. I will have to make a decision by Friday for what I'm going to get but as I said in the beginning looking for some opinions, advice, or info I may have overlooked that would be of any help as two which I should get.
Thanks
popcorn.gif

Welcome to Head-fi! 
smile_phones.gif

First off, I wouldn't worry that much about the STX output impedance, and I wouldn't let it affect your decision on which headphone to get.

Between the two, both headphones are great for gaming and movies/tv - the Anniversaries will sound a little more flat and natural while the X1s will sound a little more fun and home-theatery.  For music, both headphones are well rounded and can handle a lot of genres, but since you mentioned "mostly rap, hip hop, r&b"  the X1s are better suited for those genres. 

I would go with whichever one your gut is telling you will be a better fit for your sound preferences.  It sounds like your leaning towards the X1. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2,426 of 5,962
Quote:

Welcome to Head-fi! 
smile_phones.gif

First off, I wouldn't worry that much about the STX output impedance, and I wouldn't let it affect your decision on which headphone to get.

Between the two, both headphones are great for gaming and movies/tv - the Anniversaries will sound a little more flat and natural while the X1s will sound a little more fun and home-theatery.  For music, both headphones are well rounded and can handle a lot of genres, but since you mentioned "mostly rap, hip hop, r&b"  the X1s are better suited for those genres. 

I would go with whichever one your gut is telling you will be a better fit for your sound preferences.  It sounds like your leaning towards the X1. 

forgot to tell him sorry about his wallet.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #2,428 of 5,962
Ya they've been fluctuating between $330 and $500 on Amazon, kinda wide range I know.

Agreed on the X1 with STX by the way, should be fine, a little coloration won't hurt them. I use mine out of the SB Z and they sound fantastic, better than out of my lower output impedance iPhone.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2,429 of 5,962
Quote:

Welcome to Head-fi! 
smile_phones.gif

@Rock Lobster: Seconded what chicolom said. Annies will probably be disappointing for rap, hip hop, r&b. I would try the X1 or something like a Beyer DT990 / 250 or a Philips Fidelio L1.

Welcome to Head-fi!

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #2,430 of 5,962
Getting a pair of these thanks to the-site-that-shall-not-be-named, eagerly waiting for them to come in. I figure these'll compliment my Q701s nicely! I'll also be browsing through this thread for cable recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back