[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2,102 of 5,962
Relative to others, yes the X1 is thinner sounding. It's not THIN sounding. Just THINNER than some others, like the Annie, HD650, LCD2, HE400 (other than upper mids), Mad Dogs.

I'd honestly say they are in the realm of neutral thickness. Not thin, not thick or lush. Not the most organic, but not artifical either.

Been watching some movies with it on my Ps3/Mixamp, and OMG, it's so immersive and impressive. Great movie positional cues.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,103 of 5,962
Quote:
These have extremely high mid bass quantity and not the best extension. I think you should look into the HE-400 for deep, punchy bass without being overpowering at all.

I have been looking at the HE-400's as well, but here they cost 400 euro's (525 dollars) which is also a lot more than 175 euro's (300 dollars) for the X1. Can't compare those I'm afraid and too expensive for me. Should I just keep in mind the X1's really dominate mid-bass frequencies? Or is it not as "extreme" as you say?

By the way I found these charts from Innerfidelity: HD595 and Fidelio X1, I'm no hero with this and don't even know if these say much, since the HD595's chart isn't a lot different than the HD600's chart but the difference in perceived sound shure is.

Quote:

We are in need of a brave fellow head-fier!
biggrin.gif

or this one:

No offence but a red Beats-cable isn't exactly a match for the X1, if you know what i mean :)
The same cable in black would be much better, but all I can find is some chinese stuff from which I know nothing about (durablity? even higher impedance? build quality?)
The second cable is better but still...

Anyway if it's true that the audible difference is practicaly zero to none...

I will step and and out of line here guys! most head-fiers on this forum, unless someone wants to correct me, have a nominal amp in their stack like E6 or something. Now these cans are 100db/1mW @ 30 Ohms.
Even somerthing as Small as E6 can drive:
Drive ability 16~150Ω(recommend)
Output Power > 100 mW@32Ω 

Do an extra 1.8 Ohm arrayed in series with 30 already even matter logically speaking! I mean really, we head-fiers talk about things like Beyer DT880 and He-400 and then we are beating 1.8 cable impedence about the bush for a can thats merely rated 30 Ohm @ 100 SPL db/1mW.
I dont think its that worth a discussion, ONLY IF you are driving it with just the source. FYI, i have heard it through its stack cable using my JDS O2, there was NO PERCIEVED DIFFERENCE in SQ. So advantage now is: The stack cable looks cool and elegant!

...then why replace the stock cable after all? I'm getting confused, one says "no difference" and the other says "sound brighter".

Edit: new posts since I started typing this, from which I can conclude perceived difference is there, but only if your nitpicking?

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,104 of 5,962
People wanna justify the stock cable, and that's fine, but spend more than a few second comparing it with something with a 0.5 or 0.4ohm resistance, and it will prove true that the stock cable is going to sound inferior.

I'm the BIGGEST skeptic when it comes to cables. This isn't talk about cables improving sound. This is talk about the stock cable's high resistance bottlenecking the X1.

Nitpicking? The clarity difference while subtle, is noticeable.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,105 of 5,962
Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

K550 and X1 sound nothing alike.

well off course 550 sounds brighter! Also i think, and this is perceptional may be how i hear it, but 550 are also more sparkly then X1. Its all about what suits for your ears. There are people who simply love He-400, which i cannot tolerate for 10 seconds of listening.
But I would still say 550 and x1 are generally in the same sound signature camp.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,107 of 5,962
The K550 and the X1, alike? Now there's something I completely disagree with. Not even close. The K550 is a cold, dry, bright headphone. Uninvolved, and just...gah.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,108 of 5,962
I have no intention of spending much on a cable but for $10 it seems worth it to myself. I was hoping there may be a 1/4" cable so I could avoid adapters.

Assuming no affordable cable exists that is decent; does anyone have any experience with the Monoprice adapters?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042903&p_id=7139&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042903&p_id=7169&seq=1&format=2

They don't seem like they are that great based on reviews but the price is great.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,109 of 5,962
The second one. And adapters are fine. I like that my Compass 2 has a locking input, so the adapter stays on the Compass, and I plug in the cable to the adapter, instead of constantly unplugging from the amp.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2,110 of 5,962
Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

K550 and X1 sound nothing alike.

Ok I Admit on more analysis 550 is better bang for bucks (as i just checked 2 min ago: 235 $ on amazon). closed headphone. with spacious open sound, little treble spikes on certain brightly recorded tracks, would need you to turn down your volume. but overall, advantage being, they dont look lathargic like X1, sexy on head even worthy to be used while hitting bench press next to hot babes!!

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #2,111 of 5,962
Quote:
Relative to others, yes the X1 is thinner sounding. It's not THIN sounding. Just THINNER than some others, like the Annie, HD650, LCD2, HE400 (other than upper mids), Mad Dogs.

I'd honestly say they are in the realm of neutral thickness. Not thin, not thick or lush. Not the most organic, but not artifical either.

Been watching some movies with it on my Ps3/Mixamp, and OMG, it's so immersive and impressive. Great movie positional cues.

Not thin at all. Just not flawed by overhang and blurring.

Quote:
well off course 550 sounds brighter! Also i think, and this is perceptional may be how i hear it, but 550 are also more sparkly then X1. Its all about what suits for your ears. There are people who simply love He-400, which i cannot tolerate for 10 seconds of listening.
But I would still say 550 and x1 are generally in the same sound signature camp.

LOL!

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2,115 of 5,962
Quote:
Did you bend the leather headband into a cone shape? I think it will loosen up the clamp and let it extend further down.

I'd actually prefer more clamp... the X1 is sensitive to distance.

Thanks for the tip, I bent the leather band quite a bit, and frankly, now they're almost too loose lol. I still don't feel they're entirely comfortable but I guess it's a matter of taste, or rather head shape. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back