[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,996 of 5,962
I think these would be great upgrades to the m80s. I actually sold my m80s to fund buying the X1.

Vastly improved soundstage with great bass and still a fairly relaxed sound signature. The X1 are also comfortable. I had to loosen its grip on my head a bit because i havr glasses but those velour pads are wonderful.

Can you make a more in depth sound comparison between them? Or maybe some else can? It will help me a lot and seems that I'm not the only one who interested in such comparison.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,999 of 5,962
I'm thinking about buying the X1... This would be my sort of first step into the $100+ headphone arena.

I do not own an amp and plan on using it with my computer alongside the Asus Xonar DGX. Will that be enough? 

Also are there any other headphones I should consider for $250? It seems like the AKG's are favored far less and require some extra driving power. I'll be using this for movies, music (bass heavy is fine, but I can go either way, still new to what sound signature I'm looking for). 

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,000 of 5,962
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying the X1... This would be my sort of first step into the $100+ headphone arena.

I do not own an amp and plan on using it with my computer alongside the Asus Xonar DGX. Will that be enough? 

Also are there any other headphones I should consider for $250? It seems like the AKG's are favored far less and require some extra driving power. I'll be using this for movies, music (bass heavy is fine, but I can go either way, still new to what sound signature I'm looking for). 

X1's are much easier to drive (if you want to use them without an amp, you wouldn't have any problems).

And they have that extra oomph in the bass which makes certain genres of music more enjoyable and also movies.

That's not to say the AKG's are lacking or anything... they are great as well and have better mids.

I just prefer the extra bass on X1's. And I certainly wouldn't say the X1's are bass HEAVY.... they have just the right amount of bass IMO.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #2,001 of 5,962
Ok it's time for more impressions. I really think these are not audiophile grade headphones for music. After a while the bass starts feeling unnatural and the recessed mids are just too big deal to handle after coming from K702 (anniversaries). This being said, I think the X1 are probably the best headphones I've used for gaming. Fooled around with PS3 yesterday and I have to say that I really liked their sound stage, imaging and bass heavy signature when watched movies and played games. One of the best thing about X1 (for me) is the fact that they are easy to drive and get loud easily. This allows me to use my X1 and Solo6 active speakers about at the same volume settings. AKG are ridiculously quiet in that sense and I have to crank the volume VERY high to use them with 8200CDQ.

The X1 build quality is absolutely fantastic and the headphones are finished with high quality materials. The memory foam is not as high quality memory foam as what anniversaries have (by high quality I mean real tempur which keeps the pressed form quite long). The pads are kind of something between K702 and anniversary pads, but are still extremely comfortable. I'd even say that they are more comfortable than anniversaries. They have quite a tight fit on my head, which enables great seal and I really don't have to correct their position at all (unlike with anniversaries).

I would unconditionally recommend X1 only for people who enjoy bass heavy songs, watch lots of movies and are serious about playing games. Very fun and high performance headphones for the right applications. Be warned though, if your expectations are too high you might be disappointed how these perform with music.

Off topic note: I seriously have to recommend Ni no Kuni to all you PS3 gamers out there. Great game and gets even better when using X1. Probably one of the best PS3 games after Dark Souls.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,004 of 5,962
Quote:
Can you make a more in depth sound comparison between them? Or maybe some else can? It will help me a lot and seems that I'm not the only one who interested in such comparison.

its been months since ive heard the m80 so i dont think id have the most accurate description.

I feel that the m80s are more laid back than the X1, which is already a fairly laid back headphone itself. Highs are more natural on the X1 as the highs are just too recessed for me on the m80s. I cant compare the quantity of the bass of the two, but i can definitely say you will FEEL the bass of the X1s more, simply because of the massive drivers and the ability of the X1s to move air more freely.

Be nice for someone to add to this or correct me if im wrong in any way. This is really all i can feel safe giving.

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2,005 of 5,962
its been months since ive heard the m80 so i dont think id have the most accurate description.

I feel that the m80s are more laid back than the X1, which is already a fairly laid back headphone itself. Highs are more natural on the X1 as the highs are just too recessed for me on the m80s. I cant compare the quantity of the bass of the two, but i can definitely say you will FEEL the bass of the X1s more, simply because of the massive drivers and the ability of the X1s to move air more freely.

Be nice for someone to add to this or correct me if im wrong in any way. This is really all i can feel safe giving.

Thanks looks like I have finally found the exact thing I was looking for.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,007 of 5,962
Quote:
First impressions

Holy cow, where do I start? The box is very nice and definitely smells like a new car, which is always a bonus :wink:. When I first put these on, I was worried that I'd have to bend the metal headband because of my big head but I was happily surprised to find that I have perfect clearance. The headphone pad is barely touching the leather headband. These are extremely comfy cans. I also didn't even bother with the cable. I've seen too many complaints about it and I have a V-Moda cable anyway.

They sound amazing. I love bass and these surprised me with their punch. I haven't ever heard a dynamic open headphone with this much bass. I don't think these headphones fall very short from my Q40's in terms of bass quantity and punch, and that's saying something. In fact, they have a very similar sound signature to the Q40's in general. The mids are very present and detailed but the lower mids definitely have an emphasis over the upper mids. The highs are perfect IMO. They aren't sibilant at all and they still have a bit of a sparkle. Right where I want them.

As for comparing them to the HE-400... honestly, they're very different. Most of that has to do with the HE-400 being way more textured and transparent but the X1 seems to have a wider soundstage as well. The bass on the X1 sounds a lot more bloated when doing an A/B with the HE-400. Then again, compared to the HE-400's, everything sounds a tiny bit blurry when doing an A/B. egokun used the term "musical" to describe the X1's and I agree with that 100%. They aren't as fatiguing as the HE-400's in terms of highs but they are more fatiguing in terms of bass. Lucky for me, I'm not fatigued by bass.

Overall though, the downward slope of the X1's frequency response is fairly noticeable, but I'm loving it. I can see these easily becoming my go-to headphones for extended listening around the house. Still though, the HE-400's will be my EDM headphones of choice. The speed and clarity is perfect for it. The X1 sounds much more natural which makes them great for everything else.

I don't think I can recommend either one without knowing what you are looking for in a headphone. I don't think I'm going to sell either one of them because they both are very different and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Here is my first impression of them as well as a comparison.

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #2,008 of 5,962
well i have my AD700 + fiio e10 with a bass boosted eq in foobar, they sound amazing to me but i've never heard anything "higher-end" than these so my question is, in terms of pure sound quality would a X1 match an AD700 with a very nice boosted bass. Here is the EQ i use:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back