[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,981 of 5,962
I agree that the tonal balance of the X1 would be preferable to some people compared to DT880 or HD650 for example but personally I do not think the X1 match the HD650 in technical ability, detail or any of those sorts of things. If the HD650 was classed as "high fi" then the X1 would be "upper mid fi" in technicalities.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #1,983 of 5,962
Quote:
Different but in what ways? it is currently at the same price of fidelio x1 and ad900.

I've only listened to the A900X (closed version of the new AD900X -- which is the new version of the AD900) but the A900X has a very early bass rolloff. If you want huge bass, get the X1, if you are ok without having very much bass, get the AD900. Someone else who has experience with both would be able to give more input.

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,984 of 5,962
The X1 has significantly more bass than the AD900.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,985 of 5,962
Receiving the AKG K702 Annies next week, hoping to choose one between that and the X1. $365 vs. $300 (my purchase prices), would like to not go higher than that for a while.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to try the HE500 - planars do indeed have impressive sound quality, but the X1 at less than half the cost and better comfort (to me) make them a solid choice, a good contrast to the HD600.

If the Annies are more similar to the HD650 than the HD600, and I like them better than the X1, I suppose I likely won't ever really replace the HD600.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #1,986 of 5,962
Got my X1 today. Here's the first impressions:

- Fantastic build quality
- Comfortable
- Great seal
- Generate heat
- Smelly
wink.gif

- Memory foam is not as "tempuric" as what anniversaries have
- Relatively small size (not for the big headed)
- Fun thumping bass (addictive even?)
- Recessed / muffled mids
- Large open sound stage with good imaging
- Less refined than anniversaries
- Easy to drive

Without the recessed muffled mids these would be really awesome headphones. K702 (anniversaries) are still better more high fidelity headphones imo. I think X1 are best suited for movies, gaming and film scores / thumping tunes, which is exactly what I got them for :wink:

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,987 of 5,962
Quote:

Without the recessed muffled mids these would be really awesome headphones. K702 (anniversaries) are still better more high fidelity headphones imo. I think X1 are best suited for movies, gaming and film scores / thumping tunes, which is exactly what I got them for :wink:

How much bass (impact / quantity) do the k702 anniv have compared to the X1? A lot less or similar?

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #1,989 of 5,962
Quote:
How much bass (impact / quantity) do the k702 anniv have compared to the X1? A lot less or similar?

Well you can easily tell that X1 hass more bass than the anniversaries. More impact definitely, but sometimes the bass feels slightly boomy and overpowers some fine detail. It's the U-shaped signature that pushes the bass forward and mids back. The anniversaries, however, have enough bass for my tastes (music). Changing from X1 to anniversaries the bass feels thin, but other way around the X1 mids feel muffled. Either are perfect but anniversaries are more detailed and refined. X1 are more fun and engaging with pop r'n'b etc. Complementary cans in that regard. I don't, however, want to change headphones while listening music, so anniversaries are better suited for the music styles I listen. I got the X1 to go with PS3-8200CDQ combo in our living room. The bass impact is really fun with movies and games. Not sure how much the stock cable affects the sound. New cable is coming soon and I'm interested to hear if the mids get any clearer after that.

Quote:
In the UK the 702 anniv cost OVER TWICE as much as the X1!!

X1 = £200
K702 65th Annive = £450

I paid around €200 for X1 and around €400 for anniversaries. With such prices X1 offers way better value for money. In long run the changeable pads of anniversaries sure come handy. You can also get standard K702 pads for cheap and easy mod. Maybe in the future we get even more AKG pad mods. For me the X1 + anniversaries + k702 pads + K550 covers pretty much everything I need my headphones for.

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,990 of 5,962
Quote:
- Fantastic build quality
- Comfortable
- Great seal
- Generate heat
- Smelly
wink.gif

- Memory foam is not as "tempuric" as what anniversaries have
- Relatively small size (not for the big headed)
- Fun thumping bass (addictive even?)
- Recessed / muffled mids
- Large open sound stage with good imaging
- Less refined than anniversaries
- Easy to drive

Oh and you really don't want to touch the cable or else the touching sound echoes inside the left ear cup. Not cool.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #1,991 of 5,962
I just love how philips discounts all of they're headphones after a short time. The uptown used to be $150 and now its around $60. Fidelio l1 was $300 and now its around $190.
Why can't sennheiser do the same? The momentum, which I found equally as good as the l1 is still $350. Only prob are those damn pads.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,994 of 5,962
I think these would be great upgrades to the m80s. I actually sold my m80s to fund buying the X1.

Vastly improved soundstage with great bass and still a fairly relaxed sound signature. The X1 are also comfortable. I had to loosen its grip on my head a bit because i havr glasses but those velour pads are wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back