[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #1,711 of 5,962
Meh ordered some, hopefully I will like these enough as a pair of all rounders to hold me out for while!

This headphone thing is getting out of hand.. I cannot stop buying headphones!

Seriously I am going to just keep this pair as long as they are good and NOT buy any headphones for a while!!!

I might have to ban myself from head-fi lol.

Soundstage : Win
Open sound quality : Win
Bass : Win
Faster and more fun than HD650 : Win
Comfort and looks : Win

I really hope these live up to the hype!

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,713 of 5,962
There was one instance where I felt that way, but it was because I swapped to a cleaner dac signal, and controlled things just ever so slightly. I wouldn't put much if any stock in hoping for changes, and just consider it you getting used to their sound.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,716 of 5,962
I asked for a replacement due to the vibrations bothering my left ear on the first pair... and while i was going to say it's fine, I just wanted to make sure that the driver wasn't being a problem. I'm too OCD about such things, and needed to make sure it wasn't a defect. For a headphone I'm definitely planning on keeping, everything has to be right. Definitely a personal fault of mine.

My 2nd pair arrived, and yes, it seems my weird left ear tickles with the new pair too. Sigh, oh well. I'll have to deal with it now that I know it's gonna happen regardless.

In any case, the new pair sounds identical to my worn in pair (have them both on hand). Again, don't put much stock in burn in. I might keep my original to sell to a friend that is coming in next week.

Oh, and checked the cable... again, hovering around 1.8ohms. Meh, I was hoping to get lucky. :frowning2:

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,718 of 5,962
Quote:
Meh ordered some, hopefully I will like these enough as a pair of all rounders to hold me out for while!

Seriously I am going to just keep this pair as long as they are good and NOT buy any headphones for a while!!!

I could see myself posting those exact same words when I eventually break down and get the X1's. Too funny. Oh, and congrats!

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,719 of 5,962
Quote:

You may very well be totally happy with these as a complete headphone. I know I could be.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,720 of 5,962
Quote:
My 2nd pair arrived, and yes, it seems my weird left ear tickles with the new pair too.

Perhaps your left ear is a little larger than your right ear.  I think mine is, as my left ear is more likely to get tickled. 

It's not a defect, it's just that cloth covering the driver can vibrate like a drum head during strong bass. 

If you modifiy/replace/remove the cloth covering the driver, it could probably be eliminated. 

I think this outer cloth piece below is the one that vibrates.  It's a separate piece from the pad itself.  Underneath that piece, the driver still has a dust cover over it, so I'm not sure you even need that outside cloth layer...

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #1,721 of 5,962
That has to be one of the worst ear pad assemblies ever... :rolleyes:

Damn it, Philips.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,722 of 5,962

I am reeeeally happy with the sound X1 gives me, especially after listening to the live classical concert! I think listening to the X1 is so close to enjoying the music in a concert hall!

But seriously, live classical concerts definitely sound better than any high-end headphones. Also compared to live music, there are a lot of things that you couldn't get from the headphones...

But still, I would recommend the X1 to those who enjoy (classical) music!

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,723 of 5,962
Quote:

Perhaps your left ear is a little larger than your right ear.  I think mine is, as my left ear is more likely to get tickled. 

It's not a defect, it's just that cloth covering the driver can vibrate like a drum head during strong bass. 

If you modifiy/replace/remove the cloth covering the driver, it could probably be eliminated. 

I think this outer cloth piece below is the one that vibrates.  It's a separate piece from the pad itself.  Underneath that piece, the driver still has a dust cover over it, so I'm not sure you even need that outside cloth layer...

how do you know philips didn't put it there for a reason tho:)

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,724 of 5,962
how do you know philips didn't put it there for a reason tho:)
I don't. The outer ring may be functional, but the inner cloth looks like it's probably purely cosmetic - maybe to hide the angled driver assembly. The cloth is pretty thin so I doubt it's doing much besides looking pretty and vibrating :p

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,725 of 5,962
Another potential (and easier) anti-tickle mod is to try and simply stretch the cloth layer over the driver so it's loose and no longer taut - making it less susceptible to vibrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back