[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,411 of 5,962
]

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,413 of 5,962
if you got 20 guys and said strip off the ear pads and slap some new ones on, i'd be that 1 guy who looks like the dumb kid who clearly has no place removing any pad from anything, seriously, i've tried before, i failed woodwork when i was 11. Whats more concerning is i wasn't able to find a store in new zealand where i could get my ear pads refurbished. If they're not really easy to snap off/replace im worried as hell i'll mess it up....

Asides from that, these would be replacing Q701 headphones (they had a bass rattle issue) i mainly play games and just chat in mumble with mates, i wear my headphones a lot, (10 hours a day) so comfort is highly important. Whats the sound stage like for gaming? oh and what sort of price should i be looking for, currently $350 on amazon, have they been cheaper than that on sales? 

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #1,414 of 5,962
Lol Wut?

The X1 has some of the comfiest pads out there. Soft memory foam covered in velour and very deep.

The Beyerdynamic pads are still much more comfortable and as the hole in the middle is round rather than oval, they're much better for those with big ears. Yours truly included.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,415 of 5,962
Let me see if I have this right. After you removed the pads you end up with this image... then you just put the Beyer pads on and have it loop around where your finger is? Or did you add that layer, yourself?

Quote:

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,416 of 5,962
Let me see if I have this right. After you removed the pads you end up with this image... then you just put the Beyer pads on and have it loop around where your finger is? Or did you add that layer, yourself?

See my earlier post a few back. That layer is soft and flexible and includes the foam/felt covering the driver. Hence this picture to illustrate it. It is not soft and hence you cannot slip the Beyer pads on them.
So Philips took the easy way out and just glued them on though admittedly the 4 plugs keep them in place. I put the Beyer on to see how it would fit. The 4 plugs don't need to be sanded down as they are quite short and the Beyer pads are rounded. So one could theoretically just glue the Beyer pads on or use some double sided sticky tape.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #1,418 of 5,962
Quote:
The Beyerdynamic pads are still much more comfortable and as the hole in the middle is round rather than oval, they're much better for those with big ears. Yours truly included.

I also have big ears, and my ears touch the drivers with Beyer pads.
triportsad.gif
  They're not deep enough for me.  The X1s are deeper, and thus TO ME are much more comfortable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the pics BTW.  It looks like they could have made the X1 pads removable (perhaps by using a bayonet lock system), but for some reason chose not to. 
confused.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,419 of 5,962
Quote:
Asides from that, these would be replacing Q701 headphones (they had a bass rattle issue) i mainly play games and just chat in mumble with mates, i wear my headphones a lot, (10 hours a day) so comfort is highly important. Whats the sound stage like for gaming? oh and what sort of price should i be looking for, currently $350 on amazon, have they been cheaper than that on sales? 

You could always just sell the X1s after 2-3 years and then rebuy them.  People sell and re-buy the same headphone all the time on Head-fi. 

The X1s soundstage is excellent for gaming. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #1,420 of 5,962
Quote:

It looks like they could have made the X1 pads removable (perhaps by using a bayonet lock system), but for some reason chose not to. 
confused.gif

Maybe what they figured is the pads would last forever lol

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,421 of 5,962
I also have big ears, and my ears touch the drivers with Beyer pads. :triportsad:   They're not deep enough for me.  The X1s are deeper, and thus TO ME are much more comfortable.  :)

Thanks for the pics BTW.  It looks like they could have made the X1 pads removable (perhaps by using a bayonet lock system), but for some reason chose not to.  :confused:

I make the Beyer pads deeper by inserting a foam or a paracord under the earpads. But I can't make earpads that are oval rounder. That was one reason I got rid of the ATH-AD700 where though the earpads looked big, but for me, they were supra aural rather than circumaural.

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #1,422 of 5,962
Im more interested in what effects the Beyer pads does to the sound. Pads almost always alter sound signature, and lots of times, its NOT for the better.

BTW, Beyer sells black velours...

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #1,424 of 5,962
@chicolom

i have three songs that i want to see how you like their presentation on the X1. they are from the band Seether live album One Cold Night. the songs are: Fine Again, Broken, and Remedy.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #1,425 of 5,962

Lookie what we have here. :D

I got my refund for the Kingsound stats (which I'm no longer getting, unfortunately), and immediately ordered these with one day shipping off Amazon.

I'll be the first person on youtube to unbox them (though it was obviously rushed). :frowning2:

I'll put the link up later.

First impressions:

This is it. No... seriously. This is what I WISH the DT990 would've sounded like.

Since I'm broke, and VERY happy... consider this my end game.

As for the fit... after bending the headband... it fits about as good as the 990s fit for me.

Sound impressions: Crisp, clear, and the bass is quite full and fun without it being basshead level obnoxious.

The sound SIGNATURE is what I wanted. I couldn't be happier with these...

BTW, the Mediabridge cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LU1U2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371234896&sr=8-2&keywords=mediabridge+3.5

Fits great, and I may have to do more testing, but I swear it sounds cleaner than the stock cable.

I'll have more impressions later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back