[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,398 of 5,962
Out of curiosity, I removed the earpads. The driver housing has 4 plugs that plug (what else?) into holes on the earpad. They are then glued together. In my case, the glue doesn't seem to be that strong as it gave hardly any resistance when I pulled the earpads out. Though the diameter of the driver housing is 100 cm, and hence similar to the Beyerdynamics, the housing has no lip upon which you could affix the Beyerdynamic earpads. The alternative is to use the said Beyerdynamic earpads, sand down the plugs, and then just glue them on. I might still do that as the Beyerdynamic velours are a lot more comfortable.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,399 of 5,962
Plugs seem redundant when they just end up gluing on the pads at the end of the day, assuming that there is no way to secure the earpads onto the cups once the glue has been unsealed.

Would be interesting to DIY a type of "spacer" that would allow affixing of aftermarket earpads.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #1,400 of 5,962
Quote:
Plugs seem redundant when they just end up gluing on the pads at the end of the day, assuming that there is no way to secure the earpads onto the cups once the glue has been unsealed.

Would be interesting to DIY a type of "spacer" that would allow affixing of aftermarket earpads.

Maybe if someone found a way to glue the ring from the HE-400/500 headphones to the X1 in order to have a lip to curl Beyer velours or HiFiMan pads over? I haven't looked at the X1 under the pads, so this may not work.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,401 of 5,962

Though I didn't glue it back, the earpads stay on. I guess it's a combination of the plugs and the fact that when it's on your head, the headband puts pressure against your ears anyway.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,402 of 5,962
Maybe if someone found a way to glue the ring from the HE-400/500 headphones to the X1 in order to have a lip to curl Beyer velours or HiFiMan pads over? I haven't looked at the X1 under the pads, so this may not work.

This should work. After all I already have an acrylic disc made for Beyerdynamic earpads that I then glue my Grado flat earpads on to. The Grado earpads are then still removable from the driver, whilst the Beyer ear pads are of course still removable from the acrylic disc.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,403 of 5,962
So the non replaceable ear pads are the big concern? surely thats a really bad design feature, I'm not confident with modding headphones and if the stock pads are only going to last 4-5 years and are apparently not that comfortable, should i just get something else?

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,404 of 5,962
i find the pads to be comfortable.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,406 of 5,962
it does, no denying that.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,407 of 5,962
I'm not confident with modding headphones and if the stock pads are only going to last 4-5 years and are apparently not that comfortable, should i just get something else?

Lol Wut?

The X1 has some of the comfiest pads out there. Soft memory foam covered in velour and very deep.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,408 of 5,962
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back