[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #1,216 of 5,962
I had to create an account just to say thank you to EVERYONE here! I have been reading and reading and finally took the dive on my first ever Hi Fi headphones. I'd always used turtle beach, or skullcandy (just cheap phones) until I finally had some $$ to throw down. I purchased the X1 and have re-coded all my albums in FLAC (talk about 40X the size of my normal MP3s!!) 

Anyway, I'm loving the sound, and enjoying every minute of it. I actually bought the Sound Blaster ZxR just for these headphones. But when I went to set them up, I found that I have 2 options.

1. 32/300 ohm
2. 600 ohm

I checked the specs for these babies and found them to be 26 ohm, so I guess I can't use the extra power of my 600 ohm sound card? Would it hurt my headphones if I did?

I'm still breaking them in (only about 7 hours of sound so far) and want to make sure I take care of these babies.

Again, thank you EVERYONE for your discussion! It helped me decide where to spend my hard earned $$.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,217 of 5,962
You should run them at the lower setting. With the 600 ohm setting however, you are set when you invest in a more demanding headphone.

Glad you like the X1, it is an excellent headphone.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #1,218 of 5,962
re-coded all my albums in FLAC (talk about 40X the size of my normal MP3s!!) 

Do you mean to say that you converted your mp3 files into FLAC? If that is the case, there won't be any change in quality - the files would be exactly as before but with a larger filesize.
You will need to obtain the files in a lossless format originally if you want the lossless quality.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,219 of 5,962
@Aren : I just pulled out all my CD's and converted them into FLAC. I keep all my originals in a case. 

@Carlsan : Thanks for the link, VERY informative. Looks like I "COULD" run the 600 ohms, but I would be risking damaging the phones when listening loud. It could also introduce problems/quality issues with the music.

I guess for now, I'll just go ahead and leave it at the normal setting. No reason to hurt these babies. They're sounding better every day.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #1,220 of 5,962
Actually the rule of thumb is to always have it in the lowest gain that you can achieve desired listening level with. Generally the lower the gain the lower the distortion etc. is.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,221 of 5,962
Quote:

Yep I agree they're easy to drive and plugging it directly into my imac is good enough. Just that I had thought getting the O2 + ODAC would make it even better but not so. 

Bought a Fiio L2 to link the O2 to the ODAC couple days ago, and now the sound seemed to have improved, with respect to definition or instrument separation and dynamic range. I listened to Vivaldi's Four Seasons and can hear the pulling of the strings more clearly, or when multiple violins are playing at the same time, they tend to be more 'distinct' from each other. Also for music that has a greater bass (eg David Guetta's Titanium), the bass sounds tighter and more punchy to my ears.The mids are still slightly recessed, hence I'm considering if should go with the cable upgrade. 

There may be other factors like burn in which caused the overall improvement and could also be my choice of music previously (focusing mostly on vocals on pop or Jazz music prior to the above), that I didn't notice any difference before.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,222 of 5,962
never bought a high end Philips in my life, as none of my friends ever recommend it.

though i must say i love its product design in general.

now that this babe is out, i am really compelled to give it a shot.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #1,223 of 5,962
Quote:

Bought a Fiio L2 to link the O2 to the ODAC couple days ago, and now the sound seemed to have improved, with respect to definition or instrument separation and dynamic range. I listened to Vivaldi's Four Seasons and can hear the pulling of the strings more clearly, or when multiple violins are playing at the same time, they tend to be more 'distinct' from each other. Also for music that has a greater bass (eg David Guetta's Titanium), the bass sounds tighter and more punchy to my ears.The mids are still slightly recessed, hence I'm considering if should go with the cable upgrade. 

There may be other factors like burn in which caused the overall improvement and could also be my choice of music previously (focusing mostly on vocals on pop or Jazz music prior to the above), that I didn't notice any difference before.

All defects extensively improved through a good cable, simply the v-moda, but a Mogami cable is much better.
This makes it one of the best headphones in its price range (and others), for me.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,224 of 5,962
Quote:

All defects extensively improved through a good cable, simply the v-moda, but a Mogami cable is much better.
This makes it one of the best headphones in its price range (and others), for me.

Which Mogami do you recommend?
I'm looking at this Mogami 2534 together with some appropriate 3,5mm (1/8) connectors. Plan is to build a nice cable for the X1 and also recable my Denon D2000.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mogami-Microkabel-Mikrofonkabel-Quad-2534-00-Meterware-/181061728317?pt=Allgemeines_Musikinstrumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item2a281eb83d

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,225 of 5,962
Quote:
Which Mogami do you recommend?
I'm looking at this Mogami 2534 together with some appropriate 3,5mm (1/8) connectors. Plan is to build a nice cable for the X1 and also recable my Denon D2000.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mogami-Microkabel-Mikrofonkabel-Quad-2534-00-Meterware-/181061728317?pt=Allgemeines_Musikinstrumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item2a281eb83d

I own the 2893 with neutrik connectors and is the only one I know, I have to say that it is very good, it defines the bass very well that is the only flaw with the standard cable and increase medium.
Do you understand? I don't speak english well.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,229 of 5,962
You can't. I have taken mine off but they are glued to the headphone and the pads get slightly damadged. Nothing noticable when they are back on but you do have to glue them back. I don't think phillips offers replacing pairs but if they do you can replace them. 

Oh and the Objective2 makes my x1's sing like never before! Great sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back