[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Mar 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,128 of 5,962
Quote:
How does the X1 do for classical music?

They don't perform well IMHO... unless you enjoy some bass in classical music. I've bought the x1 to use them with my laptop because of its low impedance and low price (I'm italian and got them for less than 200 euros), and while I'm rather happy with the cans while listening modern music, I prefer something more flat with classical music.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #1,131 of 5,962
Just ordered mine for 215€ from a Belgian webshop
tongue_smile.gif
(I'm from Belgium myself)

http://www.electromania.be/televisie/toebehoren-televisie/philips-x100.html

How I stumbled upon these is quite the miracle as they're listed under "Tv Accessories"...
Can't wait till they arrive!

I'm also looking for a DAC/Amp upgrade for my Fiio E07k. I'm leaning towards the Yulong D100 MKII. Has anyone heard this combination in action?

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #1,132 of 5,962
I do listen to classical with x1 and I think it is quite enjoyable experience. I find no problem with treble, what may be a little artificially sounding with classical is prominent bass - this might be a problem for some listeners (not for me), but is really helpful for enjoying music at low levels. I did not have ad900, so cannot comment on them. However, I had k501, which are supposed to sound quite like. I sold them after getting x1, as found them less engaging. For classical I have now srh1840, which beat x1 not in treble or bass department, but rather in overall refinement and ease of presentation they offer.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #1,134 of 5,962
It is almost time for a new headphone from Phillips and they haven't even got the X1 out yet. Wakey wakey.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,135 of 5,962
Considering they're about to be sold under the Funai brand in tbe future, I doubt they're making anything new.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,136 of 5,962
They actually seem to be disappearing from some retail shelves... There were all those CitiScape line clearance sales a couple of months ago and I noticed they're not sold at Best Buy anymore (at least at mine, which recently redid their demo display to add Logitech UE & HK's line, amongst others).

I hope that's just a blip in their normal distribution (X1 release blunder aside), because their strong retail presence was actually one of the big things they had going with their recent lineup. A pessimist would say Funai's already screwing everything up (tough I think the sale isn't even final yet so that would make no sense).

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #1,137 of 5,962
Hi Everyone I just gotten this headphone last Friday, and as what most people have commented, it's a good all round headphone, good soundstage, punchy base and treble is clear, mids are slightly recessed. I tried replacing the stock cable with a $10 OFC cable, bought from a consumer electronic store and it seemed to perform worse.

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced positive improvements in SQ with cable replacement under $50

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #1,138 of 5,962
Quote:
How does the X1 do for classical music?

One review says the X1 is comparable with the HD650 and the ATH AD900. The latter is highly recommended for classical in the 'Battle of the flagships' thread. OTOH Tyll's review says the X1 is not audiophile and the treble is slightly artificial, gritty. That would suggest it is not ideal for classical.

I have had ATH AD900 for a long time and prefer it to X1 for classical. X1 is although a great all arounder and probably more enjoyable than ATH Ad900 for rock, jazz etc.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #1,139 of 5,962
Quote:
Hi Everyone I just gotten this headphone last Friday, and as what most people have commented, it's a good all round headphone, good soundstage, punchy base and treble is clear, mids are slightly recessed. I tried replacing the stock cable with a $10 OFC cable, bought from a consumer electronic store and it seemed to perform worse.

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced positive improvements in SQ with cable replacement under $50

Tried replacing the cable with a short Supra MP ($15) and also a noname cable included with my O2. I think switching to these cables did not improve anything. Would like to try the V-moda cable but I can't seem to find it within the EU.

Did a resistance measurement on the stock cable and actually got 2,3ohms. Using a Uni-T UT33C, maybe my multimeter is not accurate enough or maybe I am doing something wrong.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,140 of 5,962
Quote:
Tried replacing the cable with a short Supra MP ($15) and also a noname cable included with my O2. I think switching to these cables did not improve anything. Would like to try the V-moda cable but I can't seem to find it within the EU.

Did a resistance measurement on the stock cable and actually got 2,3ohms. Using a Uni-T UT33C, maybe my multimeter is not accurate enough or maybe I am doing something wrong.

You need to subtract the resistance of the device itself, thus putting both probes together. 

And also, you can order the v-moda cable from v-moda.com as far as I know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back