[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #887 of 5,962
Quote:
Oh, it's working. Just not on Firefox for me.

For me it was the 'AdBlock Plus' addon. I've disabled it on the site and it worked for me.

Btw Tyll wrote this:
"......they sound fairly good. Not quite sure if they'll make the cut for review, but I'm listening."
blink.gif

I don't know what to think about this yet, we'll see.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #888 of 5,962
For me it was the 'AdBlock Plus' addon. I've disabled it on the site and it worked for me.

Thanks, that is exactly what it was.

Why the hell would it block this? :rolleyes:

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #889 of 5,962
Damn man! These cans at max volume are absolutely breath taking! Stunningly beautyfill sound. Awesome bass, sweet everything! Intimacy and seperation greatly increased! 
Could a better amp make it sound like this on lower volume? Or is this just the cans sounding better at a higher volumel?
I'm using the FiiO E10 atm. (don't worry I have windows output lowered and this is a very dynamic album)

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #892 of 5,962
The AKG's have finally arrived!

Quick notes:

• Fidelio X1 ear pads are still the best around. They are deeper so your ears don't touch anything when they are on. Plus, I think they are more comfortable after a few hours of listening with the AKGs. However, the AKG ear pads are definitely the second best I've used and aren't uncomfortable by any stretch. The X1 ear pads are just...on another level.
  • AKG fits a lot looser on my head than the X1 making me think it will fit huge heads with out a problem.
  • AKGs are much lighter than the X1 which are lighter than the DT 880. The AKGs don't feel substantial at all in comparison to the X1s. It probably has to do with the metal materials used in the design of the X1 compared to the plastic of the AKG. They both look like premium headphones though so no docking points on the visual appeal side of things.
  • Sound positioning and imaging is pretty similar. More of a 3D effect with the AKGs than the X1s. Sound stage is quite different. The AKGs sounds a bit more airy and separation is great, but the sound feels closer to you. The X1's have a bit less air while still maintaining pretty good separation, although not as obvious as the AKGs, yet the sound stage is larger. The X1s make sounds seem a bit further away from you. Vocals on the AKGs are definitely more out in front of you, so it is more like you are sitting a few rows back at a concert, whereas the X1 feels like you are literally standing in front of the band.
  • The highs are definitely brighter on the AKGs but not as bright as the DT 880s. The mids are much more pleasing on the AKGs and as a result most music sounds more detailed and balanced. The X1 mids are not as veiled as an HD 650 but I can say after listening to the AKGs and X1s back to back, it appears that the AKG brings out more detail in the music.
  • The X1 destroys the AKG in the bass department. The AKG bass is nice and tight with a bit of punch but they don't even hit as hard as the DT 880s. Yet, despite not hitting as hard as the DT 880s I think the bass is much more refined (DT 880 bass is loose and sloppy), and as a result I prefer listening to hip hop and other bass heavy music with the AKG compared to the DT 880. But, the X1 still wins in the bass department. Play something by Hans Zimmer such as the Pirates of the Caribbean or Gladiator sound tracks, and the superior 3D positioning and instrument separation of the AKGs makes for a more complete sound. But play the same tracks with the X1 and the song, while not sounding as precise or detailed, is much more fun and cinematic due to the excellent bass.
  • The X1s leak WAY more noise than the AKGs. The AKGs almost seem like they might be semi-open as they have similar sound leakage to my DT 880s.

It's still very early and I need to do a lot more listening to different things. I've only sampled 20 songs or so and nothing else. I still have no idea how they compare to the X1's in gaming, movies, etc. However, I will say that I am impressed so far by the detail of the AKG and the balanced sound signature. I will post a full-blown review with a detailed comparison of the X1, AKG Annies and DT 880s in combination with the ASUS Xonar Essence ST, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and Schiit Magni in a few days. I will test music, games, movies, and youtube videos.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #894 of 5,962
Has anyone read the post on IF about the Philips stuff at CES? http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2013-philips

The price Tyll lists there is $400!! I know that's only an RRP and the 'street price' will be lower but that actually puts the pricing as being fairly similar to the EU, that'd make a change.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #895 of 5,962
Quote:

Quick notes

Thank you very much and please keep posting more impressions. Looking forward of that full-blown review. I would also say annies are more of a semi open cans. Especially because how they isolate incoming sounds (there is the plastic wall behind the back grill with the K702 logo). These early impressions confirm my thoughts that the X1s could be great addition to annies. Mainly to watch movies and having fun with some specific records.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #897 of 5,962
Thank you very much and please keep posting more impressions. Looking forward of that full-blown review. I would also say annies are more of a semi open cans. Especially because how they isolate incoming sounds (there is the plastic wall behind the back grill with the K702 logo). These early impressions confirm my thoughts that the X1s could be great addition to annies. Mainly to watch movies and having fun with some specific records.

Exactly what I was hoping for with the X1. More bass and colored sound for my music and fun movie/gaming.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #899 of 5,962
Quote:
AKG fits a lot looser on my head than the X1 making me think it will fit huge heads with out a problem.

Love everything I am hearing, but this point here. I already had a problem with the AKGs fit. Are the pads the same diameter as the AKGs or the same diameter as say a Beyer. 
Also is there any point to buying these if you already have a DT990 variation? They seem to both give that home theatre sense of feel. Though I would have to guess the Beyers are much brighter in the highs.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #900 of 5,962
Jesus I'm starting to hit the right tubes with my Aune T1 + annies, I'm happy with my E17 + K550 closed cans portable setting and the X1s seem super nice cans to add fun times to my music/gaming/movie moments. Seems like I'm heading towards the ultimate satisfaction in terms of personal headphoning. The only obstacle between me and the X1s is probably my wife. Don't know if I have the balls to convince her that I need yet another audio equipment. During the last year or so I've been getting Audiolab 8200cdq, Focal solo 6 Be's, domestic design speaker stands, FiiO E17, AKG K550s, AKG K702 Annies, Sieveking Omega headphone stand and Aune T1 + rocket logo tubes. Long time saving short time spending but I'm not regretting any of my purchases :) Man this is expensive but oh so awesome hoppy. Maybe I'll get the X1s for my birthday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back