[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 9, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #663 of 5,962
Took delivery of my X1s last night. Loving the sound from initial tests. Also took delivery of dragonfly DAC. But prefer the sound without the DAC, which leaves me with a bit of a quandary. More testing required today in office / commuting use. Actually scrub that. You can't use the X1 on a train carriage unless your the only passenger!

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #664 of 5,962
I know this is a X1 thread but since L1 and X1 have same type of pads I'll just shoot here.
The earpads on my one-month-old L1 look old and worn, is it normal? Are there replacements pads available? 

Edit: Oops it seems they use different pads. But still hope if anyone can help me out

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #665 of 5,962
Yeah, those pads are definitely different. The X1's use velour memory foam pads.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #666 of 5,962
I canceled my order at amazon.it They haven't sent it after more then 10 days. So I paid 239 euro's now at a dutch webshop where the stocks were finaly up. + there is a cashback action from philips till the 15th. I should have them by then. That will save me 50 euro's.
Still cheap that way but I really hope they finaly ship my headphone. I'm getting desperate here :O

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #667 of 5,962
I canceled my order at amazon.it They haven't sent it after more then 10 days. So I paid 239 euro's now at a dutch webshop where the stocks were finaly up. + there is a cashback action from philips till the 15th. I should have them by then. That will save me 50 euro's.
Still cheap that way but I really hope they finaly ship my headphone. I'm getting desperate here :O

It will be worth the wait man, no doubt. These are some serious audiophile-grade cans with a fun (= bassy) sound signature for just about 200ish euros. The sound separation is phenomenal. At this price point this is a steal. Selling my Ultrasone Pro 2900 (bought them for 400 Euro) because I like the X1s waaaaaay more.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #668 of 5,962
Nice!

The most important thing on a headphone is seperation and non harsh trebles.
I love bass.
So these should be very awesome heaphones. I really really wonder how they sound. Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow the wait is over! Finaly lol.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #669 of 5,962

Yes, definitely worth the wait!
Very comfortable, light on the head. The materials are great! Feels as good as you would expect for the price (msrp)!
Acuostic stuff sounds great, but I'm yet to find anything that doesn't sound good.
Voices are really engaging, I love it!
The bass is very nice, just like everything else
biggrin.gif

- Honestly I've heard a bit of sibilance, but it has calmed down even after the first hour, so I think it won't be a problem. It really occured with only one album though, so that might be the source of the problem.
- The pads smelled a bit bad out of the box, but now it is much better.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #671 of 5,962
The S sounds sharp to me too. It's not hurting my ears but i'm wearing the hd518. (sounds like hd650) 
If I would have worn any other headphone i wouldn't be able to listen to this. :wink:

So the problem is probably in the recording or music style. This kind of music would probably benefit greatly from an boosted treble on low-end audio systems, so they might have recorded it this way on purpose.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #672 of 5,962

The S sounds sharp to me too. It's not hurting my ears but i'm wearing the hd518. (sounds like hd650) 
If I would have worn any other headphone i wouldn't be able to listen to this. :wink:

So the problem is probably in the recording or music style. This kind of music would probably benefit greatly from an boosted treble on low-end audio systems, so they might have recorded it this way on purpose.

Yes there is a chance for that.
We'll see. I'm playing pink noise right now on them for a while - I'm a believer
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #673 of 5,962
They are here! Finaly!

I like them :) Altough I expected more bass. Please note that I have only listened to dubstep/hardstyle like music so far. I will watch a tv show with them soon and I will be gaming with them before I listen to high quality music. Pink Floyd and Dire straits etc.

So far they sound very similar to my hd518 but more refined and with less laid back treble. Exactly what I was looking for. From memory they have a better soundstage then the hd600 and 650. I'd place them in between the two regarding frequency response. BUT this isn't reliable since I only had a few listening sessions with the hd600/650. Once I've fully explored this headphone I wil compare the three.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #675 of 5,962
I inquired in the Schiit Magni/Modi thread about the suitability of the X1/Magni combo and was told that the Magni might be too powerful an amp for the Fidelios.
Still, the Magni does have a very low output impedance (stated as less than 0.1 Ohms) so wouldn't that kind of balance out the "excess" wattage? The Magni can supply 1.2W into 32 Ohms, the X1 being 30 Ohms. I'd like to have an affordable amp that goes well with the X1 and also allows some possible more power hungry cans in the future.
The synergies between different spec amps and headphones with different sensitivities/current requirements/etc are a bit unclear to me... Can a high power amplifier really be too powerful for a given headphone even if the output impedance is low?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back