[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Nov 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #391 of 5,962
Just received mine fromage amazon.it
Kicked my ass
As previously said it is a big step forward from my Fidelio L1. Bass extension is better and in the meantime leaves more space to the upper mids so clarity is improved as well as soundstage and instrument separation without beeing analytic, tireing or sibiliant at all (same asL1). It remains fun to listen (pop, electro).
As a bonus, sound level remains good enough straight out of my iPhone (even if it's not a portable can that's an advantage to me)
Next question : will I keep my L1 ? I'm afraid I'll have to sell it even if I was really satisfied with it but it will probably stay in my drawer... I'll stick with my UE700 iem as a portable device

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #392 of 5,962
I owe alot to this forum the past 2 years and have never posted but I thought its about time I contributed back to fellow headfiers. I'm not an audiophile, just someone who enjoys pristine sound so pls forgive my lack of descriptives though.

Just to set the context, I currently own a P5(not a particular fan but use it only with a Fiio E5 to boost the bass on this), Monster Miles Davis Tributes(my fav IEMs currently as I love the warm signature around the mids, fast attacking lows and clarity in the trebles), Klipsh S4 Ref(gym use so bearable), Grados SR80 (for vocal use but not my fav as the grado signature lacks the low attack that I like). I listen to a mix of vocals, country, electronica and jazz. I like my music presentation with clear separation, a good soundstage that places the instruments in the right places, a good presence of bass but in the right representation and not overly drowning, forward mids and not overly bright high ends. So far, I dislike the signature of the shure 535s and find the superfis10 too painful for long term listen.

Been toying with the idea to really go balls out with a LCD2 or HE500 but was shopping at the airport last week and chanced upon the X1s retailing for USD 250 and couldnt pass it up. I figured, if I'm going to one day put my money on a LCD2 or HE500s I might as well better know how midfi over-ears sound like to really appreciate the summit-fi stuff. So here I am with an X1. First impressions are the build quality is really spot on. That leather on the headband just smells premium and as in it really smells the good! The aluminium earcups are nicely polished dull and the velour pads rest luxuriously on my ears. The headband is comfortable and I was nearly tempted to plug this right into my ipods on the flight but decided agaisnt it. Afterall these were made for home listening and I intend to let my first experience with these be over my favourite HD tracks with a nice glass of red to accompany the experience. But the visual presentation of the X1, you gotta say Philips really stepped up on this!

I'm listening my music on the X1 over a Fiio E10 with bass off and realise that I can crank the volume pot all the way to the max on low gain and its still listenable. Gosh, am starting to think if I need a better amp to drive the X1. So I turned on the gain to Hi and settle in comfortably with the volume pot at 5. All songs are FLAC files.

Lana Del Rey - Video Games
Lana's voice never felt so haunting in a warm surreal way. Man, these X1s have really good soundstaging. Every nuance of her vulnerability is brought forward with clarity. Right off, I plugged in my P5s and SR60s that I am so used to and immediately Lana's voice became mechanical and cold. Hmm....could this be just my mind playing games...

Adele - Someone like You

Piano intro and Adele's voice well separated despite both occupying nearly the same mid range....I listened closely and could feel the warm thumping of the piano keys and Adele's trembling voice comes close to eery....Chorus kicks in....goosebumps standing...

Ok enough of the lady vocal flavour...Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger
This was where I was really shocked...having heard my brother's Beats Studio, I was blown away by the low end representation. This is not 'beats' overblown thumping bass but I was hearing fast attacks on the drums, basslines were tight and coming in and out at the right attacks, small little nuances that I never knew existed could be heard sprinkled all over the mix...everything sounds coherent, in its own place and tight...for a moment I never realised that the X1s rocked really well to such stuff! Then I recalled the reviews on the L1s. Looks like some of that signature of managing such fast pace music carried over. 

Being a teenager during the years of grunge and punk, I never could resist No DOubt's lastest album...time to check out the X1s on it...
No Doubt - Undone
Picked a slow number on the album that had guitars and synths plus gwen's signature tortured vocals...again I was awed at the soundstage representation, guitars strums were pristine, gwen's vocals betrayed her vulnerability and the swirling synths created a bigger soundstage than I have heard on my already excellent monster tributes.

SO far, 1 week into it and I realise I am loving these for jazz and those records with a good soundstage as these X1 really give a good "you are there" feel to it...I love how these cans have a dark signature as my listening preferences turn me away from overly bright phones. Occasionally I throw a wicked tight instrument heavy dance mix into it and it always puts a smile on my face....

Impressions are well beyond what I expected...I have to say I am enjoying every minute with it and its been day 8 and I am looking forward to spending every evening with the X1s. negatives? I find it hard to pin point but if I had to say, I'd wish it came with replaceable pads...soundwise? I'd have to A/B this with something similar but as this is my first pair of full size over-ears I'd have to say it trumps my friend's Focal Spirit Ones that I so nearly plonked down my dough on it...Looks like I am going to be holding off on those LCD2 and HE500s for a while and just enjoy the X1...I know the lcd2s and HEs proably exceed the capabilities of the X1s but like all new romances, I'm getting swept up in the now and I want to be able to cherish fine memories when I finally move on and look back on my time with the X1....

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #394 of 5,962
Quote:
Just ordered these from the philips uk store using a 35% and 25% discount codes stacked together through topcash making the grand total £121 delivered!!!!!! At this price not really concerned about the earpads being removeable as I was before. Will add to some of the impressions already posted once received...

argh, you!!!

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #395 of 5,962
Congrats Communic! That was really a good deal especially as they come from direct from Philips themselves.

I'm wondering if they might put these stackable codes out again, was it a one off or even a mistake. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #396 of 5,962
The X1 just came available at Amazon.it again and I ordered it for the incredible price (including dispatch) of 204 Euro!
I just cannot understand that price, sending it from Italy to the Netherlands, while the normal price here in Amsterdam will be 299 Euro, when available. It will be dipatched at november 8, so now we wait, impatiently!!   

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #397 of 5,962
Mine arrived today! Ordered from amazon.it for 203 euros last week. If you look at your email, you'll notice that it is not dispatched by amazon.it but Amazon EU Sarl, which is the holding company for all amazon european websites and they apparently dispatch from a hub in Jersey to many countries in Europe. Which makes sense I guess from a hub and spoke way of doing things.

Listening to them now. This is my first pair of headphones. They are gorgeous.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #398 of 5,962
The X1 just came available at Amazon.it again and I ordered it for the incredible price (including dispatch) of 204 Euro!
I just cannot understand that price, sending it from Italy to the Netherlands, while the normal price here in Amsterdam will be 299 Euro, when available. It will be dipatched at november 8, so now we wait, impatiently!!   

Amazon doesn't send from Italy most of the time, it can be Krefeld, Hersfeld as well and mostly they send from there so in your case I am betting Germany 100%. As for the low price, it's probably is a temporary Philips deal to get more recognition.

Edit: Mine will be shipped soon as well.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #399 of 5,962
Fek... amazon.it only ships within EU :frowning2:

Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk ship to South Africa?!?! Why not amazon.it .... sigh

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #400 of 5,962
Still, it is a beautiful price for a beautiful headphone! I don't think I have ever read so much positive tests about a 'normal price' headphone in all my live. Plan to use it with the Beyerdynamic Headzone Amp.  

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #401 of 5,962
Quote:
Amazon doesn't send from Italy most of the time, it can be Krefeld, Hersfeld as well and mostly they send from there so in your case I am betting Germany 100%. As for the low price, it's probably is a temporary Philips deal to get more recognition.
Edit: Mine will be shipped soon as well.

Why is it that only Amazon.it has this incredible price, while shipping it from Germany? Amazon.de asks 339 Euro! 

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #402 of 5,962
Quote:
Why is it that only Amazon.it has this incredible price, while shipping it from Germany? Amazon.de asks 339 Euro! 

Good thing is that this thread has an Italian member who's found it and let us know!
I am very grateful for that. Thanks MrScratch! 
beyersmile.png
 Grazie mille!

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #403 of 5,962
Yeah, it makes no sense. At all. :D
IDK, maybe some kind of partnership between Amazon Italia and Philips? They don't even sell the LivingSound and the SoundSphere docking stations (speaking of which, they are being sold imho with a nice deal on Amazon.de XP)! :confused:

Anyway, as long as it's legit and it's in new condition, you should stop marveling at how incredible this deal is and click "Add to cart" instead! :D

@lenardgabor: you are welcome! ^^

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #404 of 5,962
Quote:
Yeah, it makes no sense. At all.
biggrin.gif

IDK, maybe some kind of partnership between Amazon Italia and Philips? They don't even sell the LivingSound and the SoundSphere docking stations (speaking of which, they are being sold imho with a nice deal on Amazon.de XP)!
confused.gif

Anyway, as long as it's legit and it's in new condition, you should stop marveling at how incredible this deal is and click "Add to cart" instead!
biggrin.gif

@lenardgabor: you are welcome! ^^

if only I could....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back