[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #4,668 of 5,962
  Does anyone use an STX soundcard with these? Was going to buy one but then read about the whole 1:8 ratio thing and it's put me off.

I've used X1's with the Asus Xonar DGX which I think is ~10 ohms for its output impedance, and I really liked the way it sounded. For the X1's, the impedance across the spectrum is pretty level, save the 70hZ resonance bump (minor compared to something like a Senneheiser's mid bass bump)... so you won't get crazy bloating or anything. I couldn't compare detail, as all I could compare the DGX to was my NFB-28 which I ran as a DAC+amp... so totally different system. I think you'll be fine, you could always add an amp running in series with a low output impedance, even a cMoy would be fine for that. Anything is better than on-board audio!

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #4,670 of 5,962
I've only ever tried the DGX soundcard... I got it b/c it's cheap and has optical out I can send to my NFB-28. Are you a gamer? The DGX uses Dolby, which some don't like. The STX might have more power too, which might be good for these cans. They aren't as easy to drive as many think... despite low impedance.

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #4,672 of 5,962
I use the ST, same thing as the STX, and there is no issue. That said, the DGX will sound nearly the same. If you can hear the difference you are either lying about it, or unfortunate to have used much MUCH more expensive hardware.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #4,673 of 5,962
Ok so after reading about these headphones for soooo long finally ordered them. I plan to use them for my ps4 so im guessing the boompro would be the best mic? Also i have a set of turtle beach px5s in the cupboard which decodes dolby digital to surround for my px5s. There is a 3.5 mm output on the front which also outputs dolby surround. Would this be sufficient as my amp for gaming and movies in dolby surround or would u recommend getting an astro mixamp instead?
Last question would i need additional cables or would i be ready to go with an amp and the boompro v-moda.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post hopefully someone can help me out:beyersmile:

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #4,675 of 5,962
Any amp can power the X1s. I recommend against using solutions like Dolby Headphone, though. It muddies the sound and really does a poor job of surround anyways. Many games detect stereo and output to stereo optimized, or have options to improve headphone listening.

When I do headphone movie watching, I use my receiver which does its own surround to stereo mixing solution which kicks Dolby Headphone ass.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #4,676 of 5,962
  Any amp can power the X1s. I recommend against using solutions like Dolby Headphone, though. It muddies the sound and really does a poor job of surround anyways. Many games detect stereo and output to stereo optimized, or have options to improve headphone listening.

When I do headphone movie watching, I use my receiver which does its own surround to stereo mixing solution which kicks Dolby Headphone ass.

I cannot disagree more with your statement.... But whatever floats your boat 
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #4,677 of 5,962

Uh, binaural?

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #4,679 of 5,962
  Is there a headphone out there with a similar signature to the X1?

I returned them, because I had fit issues with them.

Sennheiser HD 6xx series are supposedly similar, considered by some to be an "upgrade" from the Fidelio X1. Of course, when I said that before, I got met with someone who had the compulsive need to disagree with something I didn't actually deduce myself. Part of me wants to say the HiFiMAN HE400 and HE500, though those will need an amp. HD 600 and 650, you might be able to get away without one.

The closest thing I've heard to the Fidelio X1 is the Beyerdynamic DT880. Trades off a little bass for a little treble.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,680 of 5,962
Not the HE-400... That's for sure. The HD650 would only be better with really good source gear, only because it scales up better than the X1.
Also, the X1's aren't as easy to drive imho as many have made them out to be... I'll have numbers on that later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back