[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 23, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,946 of 5,962
these have to be the sexist looking headphones i have ever seen (Im a major fan of the retro old style look) they make me want to buy them and retire my grado.

While I do agree they look fantastic... don't you think retiring the Grados is too much :p

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #3,947 of 5,962
these have to be the sexist looking headphones i have ever seen (Im a major fan of the retro old style look) they make me want to buy them and retire my grado.

That's what I did. Goodbye Grado SR80i.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3,949 of 5,962
That's what I did. Goodbye Grado SR80i.

I'm starting to notice a lack in resolution with my SR80i's now. Not necessarily due to listening to the X1, but a combination of my other gear. It's funny you mentioned that because it crossed my mind to sell mine, just last week. :xf_eek:

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #3,952 of 5,962
Grados get way too much praise imo they are harsh midrangy and too much treble the single most uncomfortable headphones I have ever worn the pads are nasty generic irritating foam and the headband gives you a sore head.But that's just the sr60i when I had them i replaced with a set of £30 goldring dr150 and they blew the sr60i out of the water just as much details but more weight and punch and none of the harshness.

I consider grados torture devices not headphones.

I know I'll get hung for that but when my x1 arrive tomorrow if they are like grados sound sig they'll be going back I don't like overly prominent midrange and harsh fatiguing ear piercing treble.

For me grados are like mini speakers you can strap to your head I know same can be said of any headphone technically but grados just feel like mini speakers.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,953 of 5,962
Grados get way too much praise imo they are harsh midrangy and too much treble the single most uncomfortable headphones I have ever worn the pads are nasty generic irritating foam and the headband gives you a sore head.But that's just the sr60i when I had them i replaced with a set of £30 goldring dr150 and they blew the sr60i out of the water just as much details but more weight and punch and none of the harshness.

I know I'll get hung for that but when my x1 arrive tomorrow if they are like grados sound sig they'll be going back I don't like overly prominent midrange and harsh fatiguing treble.

the X1 is nothing like a Grado, whether that's a good thing or not is entirely subjective. I love both. If I had to choose though I'd pcik my RS1 over the X1.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #3,954 of 5,962

I know I'll get hung for that but when my x1 arrive tomorrow if they are like grados sound sig they'll be going back I don't like overly prominent midrange and harsh fatiguing treble.

the X1 is nothing like a Grado, whether that's a good thing or not is entirely subjective. I love both. If I had to choose though I'd pcik my RS1 over the X1.

I second this, the X1s are absolutely nothing like Grados. I haven't had the chance to try the RS grados, hopefully I will sometime as I'm very curious how different they are compared to the SR60s.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #3,955 of 5,962

I know I'll get hung for that but when my x1 arrive tomorrow if they are like grados sound sig they'll be going back I don't like overly prominent midrange and harsh fatiguing ear piercing treble.

For me grados are like mini speakers you can strap to your head I know same can be said of any headphone technically but grados just feel like mini speakers.

it's just what people like
some people like the agressiveness of the grado's (like me)
and others like more laid back headphones.

If these are more laid back then I wont really consider them, laid back headphones don't really do a lot of my music justice for me, I want to feel like I'm in the mosh pit, not sitting in a comfy chair way in the back

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,956 of 5,962
it's just what people like
some people like the agressiveness of the grado's (like me)
and others like more laid back headphones.

If these are more laid back then I wont really consider them, laid back headphones don't really do a lot of my music justice for me, I want to feel like I'm in the mosh pit, not sitting in a comfy chair way in the back

Yes the x1 is quite laid back, especially compared to grados. I would consider my dt990 and AD2000X more aggressive as well.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,957 of 5,962

That would be great 
beyersmile.png

Here, if you need some more questions answered, shoot.

Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/601151/schiit-owners-unite/4575#post_10304034

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #3,958 of 5,962
Well, I find the term 'laid back' to be somewhat ambiguous. The Senns 600/650 or Audeze's are often said to be quite laid back. And this is usually said in contrast to 'fun' headphones. But what does that mean? People conflate a variety of things it seems: sometimes it means it is a neutral sound, sometimes it means the profile in general is dark (i.e. not much emphasis on the low/high frequences, even if they are mid forward). Sometimes it means the sound is warm and smooth. From what I've been able to muster, the X1's have a pretty prominent emphasis on the lower frequencies, with big bass response, and some sparkle on the treble as well. The mids are a bit, though not dramatically recessed. Smooth all the way, with no sibilance.

They might not be as bright as the Grados, and so might appear relatively 'smoother' and balanced compared to those. But they are much more playful at the ends than, say, the Senns, and so are not a neutral can, nor certainly a dark one.

I suppose that's what people mean that this is a 'jack-of-all-trades' can: it can be described as laid back (relative to the Grados, or even something like the he-400 which is said to be a bit rough higher up), but also as fun (relative to the Senns, or something with a more mid-centric, less bassy, smoother and and darker).

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #3,959 of 5,962
  Well, I find the term 'laid back' to be somewhat ambiguous. The Senns 600/650 or Audeze's are often said to be quite laid back. And this is usually said in contrast to 'fun' headphones. But what does that mean? People conflate a variety of things it seems: sometimes it means it is a neutral sound, sometimes it means the profile in general is dark (i.e. not much emphasis on the low/high frequences, even if they are mid forward). Sometimes it means the sound is warm and smooth. From what I've been able to muster, the X1's have a pretty prominent emphasis on the lower frequencies, with big bass response, and some sparkle on the treble as well. The mids are a bit, though not dramatically recessed. Smooth all the way, with no sibilance.

They might not be as bright as the Grados, and so might appear relatively 'smoother' and balanced compared to those. But they are much more playful at the ends than, say, the Senns, and so are not a neutral can, nor certainly a dark one.

I suppose that's what people mean that this is a 'jack-of-all-trades' can: it can be described as laid back (relative to the Grados, or even something like the he-400 which is said to be a bit rough higher up), but also as fun (relative to the Senns, or something with a more mid-centric, less bassy, smoother and and darker).

Totally agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back