[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #3,917 of 5,962

The dimensions given in the listing are 200mm x 200mm x 120mm or 8.66" x 6.66" x 4.72" for the large one.  Can you verify if that is interior or exterior measurements?  Maybe post a picture with your X1 in it.

I am interested to know if you can put the headphone in the case without removing the cord.  

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #3,920 of 5,962
@D4rkst3EL here are some headphones that I was researching before I bought the X1:
Sennheiser Momentum - liked the sound but the earcups were slightly small.
V-Moda M-100 - LOVE it so I bought it.
Sennheiser HD600 - sounds great but not enough bass for me.
Want to try these: Philips Fidelio L2 and Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium and HD26 Pro.

Good luck and have fun in your quest.

I think V-Moda would very much be of my liking, and I must try them/buy them sometime in the future. Thing is I already have a closed headphone and I would like to experience an open one. Good choice though

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #3,921 of 5,962
  $205??

I've been watching and it's been sitting around $230 for a week or so. How'd you swing that?

Hey,

I had existing credit on Amazon. The shipment got delayed :frowning2:

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #3,922 of 5,962
The dimensions given in the listing are 200mm x 200mm x 120mm or 8.66" x 6.66" x 4.72" for the large one.  Can you verify if that is interior or exterior measurements?  Maybe post a picture with your X1 in it.

I am interested to know if you can put the headphone in the case without removing the cord.  

here you go.

20140219_083822_zps28819467.jpg

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3,923 of 5,962

here you go.

A perfect fit! Thanks for the picture, that helps a lot.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #3,924 of 5,962
I would be inclined to remove the cord while in the case, as having it jostle around inside the case with the cord plugged in could wear out the jack - and you only get one.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3,925 of 5,962
X1 really surprise me, since Philips didn't make one cans convincing in sound as far as I knew. I purchase one pair at discount under 150 dollars. However I believe x1 should stand by any serious headphones around 400 dollar even more. To make x1 perform decent, you need to buy them a good cord, and amp, resource as same level as HD650 level. I used rpx 030 + arcam d33 to test x1. I must say under same gears, x1 surpass hd650 on sound stage , transparency and bass performance. x1 can handle more complicated strings music like R struss' works. Good job Philips! Wonder why the price of such premium headphones keeps dropping. People's judgment on them are changing according to the price alots of time.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #3,926 of 5,962
I would be inclined to remove the cord while in the case, as having it jostle around inside the case with the cord plugged in could wear out the jack - and you only get one.

Thank you chicolom I thought about that but my first X1 had a jack that went bad because of too many cord inserts and removals. I was thinking that keeping that to a minimum would prevent the jack from doing that again. But it also makes sense that the jack could come under stress by keeping the cord connected while transporting in the case.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #3,927 of 5,962
Best would be some sort of padding or foam that held the x1 in place with the cable inserted, with space around the plug so that no pressure was put on it...

I'm sure you could make a foam/cushion cut out to fit inside the case.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #3,928 of 5,962
Best would be some sort of padding or foam that held the x1 in place with the cable inserted, with space around the plug so that no pressure was put on it...

I'm sure you could make a foam/cushion cut out to fit inside the case.

That's a great idea and easy enough to do.  Thanks @caprimulgus !

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #3,929 of 5,962
BeyerDynamic DT-880 (600 ohm) vs. Philips Fidelio X1

While I really love David Mahler’s flagship review article (http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13), and reference it regularly, I wanted to write a review that compared this mid-priced headphones. I also wanted to write a review that used more modest gear - the type of gear that is accessible to most people who are crazy enough to pour money into the hobby we love so much. Ultimately, the goal is to provide more of a “real-world” benchmark. This is my first review. So, while I welcome constructive criticism, be gentle :)

Setup: Mac Mini (lossless audio files) -> Schiit Uberfrost (via TOSLINK) -> Schiit Lyr (via Vampire Wire RCA) -> DT-880 / Fidelio X1

Tubes: Tesla ECC88 1960s military tubes with gold connectors.

Both headphones have less than one hour of use and are essentially brand new out of the box and both headphones have factory cables. 

Songs:

I wanted to select a variety of different styles of music that covered a range of frequencies. Here are the songs I chose for this review:

“Harborcoat”, Reckoning by R.E.M.
“Sunset”, Coexist by The xx
“Untitled 4 (“Njósnavélin”/The Spy Machine),” () by Sigur Rós
“Prelude to War”, Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 Soundtrack by Bear McCreary
Beethoven’s Ninth symphony, Second movement - Conducted by John Eliot Gardiner

Harborcoat by R.E.M. (Mobile Fidelity version)

DT-880: Overall, this headphone is Sound separation between the vocal harmonies is superb. The highs are a bit grainy. Bass is present, but not dominant. Sound stage is wider than the X1

Fidelio X1: Bass is much more pronounced. However, the kids and highs sound rather neutral, they are just over-powered by the bass. Sound separation is good, approaching the level of the DT-880s. The highs are slightly more controlled compared to the DT-880, as a result, the X1 doesn’t induce fatigue.

Sunset by The xx

DT-880: Occasionally, the highs were sibilant. The bass in this song is present, but not dominant. While somewhat subdued, the bass was pleasant, but not melodramatic. As with Harborcoat, when at the highest registers, the DT-880 was a bit grainy. Again, the soundstage was wide and sound separation was excellent.

Fidelio X1: The bass stands out in this song, and the X1 showcases it beautifully. In fact, the bass in the X1 actually approaches the depth and quality of the HE-500. The sound stage isn’t as wide as the DT-880, but it isn’t too in-your-face, either. The bass in this song is dominant regardless of the headphones/speakers used, the X1s seem to let that aspect of the song shine better than the DT-880 as the latter lack the bass depth of the former.

Untitled 4 "Njósnavélin" (The Spy Machine) by Sigur Rós

DT-880: The highs in this song shine on these headphones. There is plenty of sparkle, but sometimes it becomes slightly sibilant. That being said, powerful highs are simply part of this song.This song has many layers and the wide sound stage and excellent sound separation allow the listener to pick out each sound with ease. 

Fidelio X1: As these headphones are a bit heavy with the bass, the percussion throughout this song is a real treat to listen to. While this song has more than its share of upper highs, these headphones are never sibilant or uncomfortable - they don’t have any sort of ear-piercing highs that the DT-880 had one a few occasions. 

Prelude to War by Bear McCreary

I chose this song primarily because if its absolutely thunderous percussion blended with strings and other classical instruments. The trick here is that the percussion can be so intense that some headphones can’t reproduce it well as it can easily become muddy and distort. As with the Sigur Rós song, this one has a good mix of range.

DT-880: Again, the wide sound stage and sound separation shine. The percussion is present and clear, but not nearly as deep or punchy as can be heard on other headphones, such as the X1. The stringed instruments sound amazing.

Fidelio X1: The more narrow sound stage of the X1 is noticeable in this song. However, the accentuated bass is rather astounding. While the X1 doesn’t have the high quality (very deep, but clear and punchy) bass that can be found on headphones such as the HE-500, it is very respectable and, more importantly, enjoyable. This headphone really shows off the percussion in this song. However, it does sound like it begins to distort when listening at high volumes, but it does remarkably well for a headphone at this price point at finding a great balance between depth and clarity. 

Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, Second movement, conducted by John Eliot Gardiner

DT-880: It’s almost as if these headphones were made for classical music! The wide sound stage and superb sound separation take listening to classical music to the next level. It feels as if you can hear absolutely everything; no veil, just every nuance of each instrument. With classical music, these headphones feel well balanced between the bass, mids, and highs. I didn’t detect any sibilance at any point during this song. 

Fidelio X1: Less analytical than the DT-880, having a richer, warmer sound. Rather than having extensive sound separation, it’s as if the instruments tend to blend together, creating sonic bliss. That’s not to say that there isn’t sound separation, there is. It’s just that with these headphones you don’t feel as compelled to pick out each instrument. Instead, you’re compelled to simply relax and enjoy the music. 

Built Quality and Comfort: Both headphones are very comfortable. The DT-880 has less clamping force than the X1. Even with my smallish head, I find the DT880s to be more comfortable, especially over long listening sessions. That’s not to say that the X1 isn't comfortable; they are. Both of these headphones are far more comfortable than the hefty HE-500. 

The ear pads of the X1 are not user replaceable. I find this rather surprising considering the headphone’s price point and it being marketed as an audiophile-type headphone. I feel that any headphone in this category and price point should have user replaceable ear pads. Also, the ear pads on the X1 are made of memory foam and are a bit firmer than the DT-880. 

The X1 has a detachable cable that uses the standard mini connector. This makes cable swaps rather easy. Personally, I feel that this feature almost makes up for the non-replaceable ear pads. This is in contrast to the DT-880, which does not have a user replaceable cable. Both cables come with mini-stereo connectors with 1/4” adaptors. Neither headphone suffered from micro phonics due to the cable. Occasionally, some sound can be heard from the hinge between the headband and ear cups on the DT-880 when moving my head around. Most of the time you can’t hear it above the music, but during quiet songs, or quiet parts of songs, it can be heard and is a little distracting. The X1 does not have this problem at all.

The Wife Test: I had my wife (someone who likes music, but is nothing close to calling herself an audiophile) sit down and listen to a song of her choosing on both headphones. The song she chose was Closer to the Edge by 30 Seconds to Mars. Her preference was for the X1. She enjoyed the warm tone and thought it had better balance. For her, the DT-880 was a bit shrill, fatiguing, and lacked punch. 

Conclusion/Recommendation: The bottom line is that both of these headphones appear to sport good build quality. The X1 have a richer sound, possibly due to the more pronounced bass. However, the X1 has a more narrow sound stage and the sound separation isn’t as good as the DT-880. I’ve noticed that with some songs, mostly with modern pop and rock music, that the DT-880 has a rather grainy sound, particularly with voices and over-dubs. I didn’t notice this at any point with the X1. If you like classical music and listen to it regularly, definitely go with the DT-880! Any limitations it may have with other types of music will easily be overlooked based on its amazing performance with the classical genre. So, if you like a warm headphone with a touch of extra bass, the X1 will suit you well. If you prefer a more analytical sound with wider sound stage and excellent sound separation, the DT-880 would be a great choice. Lastly, it’s worth noting that the Fidelio X1 can be adequately powered by most mobile devices, while the DT-880 (600 ohm) will require an amp to perform well.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #3,930 of 5,962
Thanks. In keeping with the "real world" theme of your review, it would be interesting if you were to repeat the review after burning the headphones in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back