[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,841 of 5,962
  I love the sound of the Fidelio X1, but I will be returning them because of the irreplaceable ear pads. Do any of you guys have recommendations on an open headphone? I've been looking at other headphones, but I'm afraid I may not like the sound as much. I've also been looking at the AKG Q701 and the K702 anniversaries and read that the difference between the two are just pads in another thread. Will they give me a close enough sound when listening with a Fiio X3?

No. They sound completely different (K702/65's).

X1's:
-Way more bass presence
-Smooth transition from bass all the way up through treble.
-Punchy

Annies:
-So airy that you'll think the X1's are closed headphones
-Hardly any bass impact and much less bass quantity
-Upper midrange glare (ultimately the reason I don't have them anymore)
-Silky smooth presentation aside from the glare
-Crisper highs (slightly)

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #3,842 of 5,962
  I love the sound of the Fidelio X1, but I will be returning them because of the irreplaceable ear pads. Do any of you guys have recommendations on an open headphone? I've been looking at other headphones, but I'm afraid I may not like the sound as much. I've also been looking at the AKG Q701 and the K702 anniversaries and read that the difference between the two are just pads in another thread. Will they give me a close enough sound when listening with a Fiio X3?

Are you wearing them with a bunch of gel in your hair or something? If so, you'll ruin the pads on any set of over ears within a month. If not, the pads should still last you a long time given you take care of them. There are a few tutorials in this thread somewhere on covering the pads with socks or pantyhose. If you like the signature of the X1 you wont find anything similar without slinging a lot of extra money. Hope this helps.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #3,843 of 5,962
  Are you wearing them with a bunch of gel in your hair or something? If so, you'll ruin the pads on any set of over ears within a month. If not, the pads should still last you a long time given you take care of them. There are a few tutorials in this thread somewhere on covering the pads with socks or pantyhose. If you like the signature of the X1 you wont find anything similar without slinging a lot of extra money. Hope this helps.

+1 (obvious solution right there)

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #3,845 of 5,962
Sorry you can't hear the soundstage with the X1...  I LOVE my Philips Fidelio X1 headphones

Despite my criticism of the soundstage and comfort, I was liking my X1s enough to keep listening with them, and tonight I discovered that if I just take off my glasses they're both much more comfortable and sound quite a bit better. I'm half-blind without them, though, so this isn't really a solution for me, and since my other headphones are comfortable with glasses, unless the X1s stretch significantly, I don't see myself keeping them.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #3,846 of 5,962

Despite my criticism of the soundstage and comfort, I was liking my X1s enough to keep listening with them, and tonight I discovered that if I just take off my glasses they're both much more comfortable and sound quite a bit better. I'm half-blind without them, though, so this isn't really a solution for me, and since my other headphones are comfortable with glasses, unless the X1s stretch significantly, I don't see myself keeping them.

You could try this mod by @georgelai57 in post #1263 in this thread:

"I bent the upper headband and though it fits better the cups had a tendency to be pulled upwards thereby making them still not as comfortable as I would like. I then took the lower headband, exposed the elastic cloth retainer on both ends and cut them off. Surprisingly the lower headband doesn't come off unless you purposely pull the plastic tabs out. So now, the X1 fits my large head perfectly with the lower cloth headband magically and surprisingly staying below the leather/metal top headband but not exerting any pulling up force on the earcups. Bliss."

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3,847 of 5,962
Had the Q701.  Light bass, very large soundstage - but the problem is that the instrument placement was very vague. Someone described it like listening to music in a large airplane hanger.  They are right. I could not deal with that vagueness.  The HD800 in contrast also gives a large soundstage but like in a top class concert hall where things are in a lot more focus. 

Quote:

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #3,848 of 5,962
Both were from Amazon.   Very difficult decision to figure out which one to give up.  I'll probably give up the one with more bass for a bit more soundstage width though I venture that most would want the richer/fatter bass version.

UL

Quote:

Having 2 X1s side by side on my table in my room now, I can't tell the difference between them other than the older one having its earpads more broken in. Your case is odd and interesting though.

The X1 sold in Asia and Europe is affixed with a X1/00 while the one sold in the US is X1/28, so the difference in model number isn't just a region code then? Both my X1s are ordered from Amazon US, so they're both X1/28. What about yours?

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #3,849 of 5,962
i think im going to send back my fidelio X1 aswell:

1) The top part of the X1 clamp too hard my head (Headaches !)
2) My ears touch the plastric grill of the drivers (too big) !
3) My ears get hot if i listen to music more than 1Hour,

Im so sad, the sound was so perfect, now i have to find a Can that is THAT good. (same price range than the current one)

Any ideas ?

The HD  598 ?

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,850 of 5,962
i think im going to send back my fidelio X1 aswell:

1) The top part of the X1 clamp too hard my head (Headaches !)
2) My ears touch the plastric grill of the drivers (too big) !
3) My ears get hot if i listen to music more than 1Hour,

Im so sad, the sound was so perfect, now i have to find a Can that is THAT good. (same price range than the current one)

Any ideas ?

The HD  598 ?

Sorry that your ears are too big for the X1. Maybe these would be big enough for you:

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #3,851 of 5,962
Sorry that your ears are too big for the X1. Maybe these would be big enough for you:

Well, i don't see myself with that outside.
I loved when everyone was looking at my headphone when i was outside whith the x1
Not sure i would like with these xD

ATM the Senn HD 5xx series and Pc 3xx series are perfect for my ears.
The beyer DT 7xx-8xx series would be gr8 ?
I was thinking either the Senn Hd 598 OR the Beyer DT 880 But i need a removable jack on the Headphone :frowning2:

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #3,852 of 5,962

I loved when everyone was looking at my headphone when i was outside whith the x1

I was thinking either the Senn Hd 598 OR the Beyer DT 880 But i need a removable jack on the Headphone :frowning2:

You'll be very dissapointed with the HD598, especially going from a X1.

Unless you couldn't care less about bass which the HD598 is known to be very neutral on, then perhaps you could go for it. Otherwise, why not a K612 or a K702 Annies? I personally think both the K612 and Annies are better than the HD598 on all fronts, even though they barely have half the bass extension the X1 has. Otherwise, go for the HD558 which is a very good buy at $125.

Oh and the HD598's removable cable is... nearly proprietary. AFAIK, not many people makes custom 2.5mm jacks which fits into locking mechanism on the HD598 (and HD558).

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3,853 of 5,962

You'll be very dissapointed with the HD598, especially going from a X1.

Unless you couldn't care less about bass which the HD598 is known to be very neutral on, then perhaps you could go for it. Otherwise, why not a K612 or a K702 Annies? I personally think both the K612 and Annies are better than the HD598 on all fronts, even though they barely have half the bass extension the X1 has. Otherwise, go for the HD558 which is a very good buy at $125.

Oh and the HD598's removable cable is... nearly proprietary. AFAIK, not many people makes custom 2.5mm jacks which fits into locking mechanism on the HD598 (and HD558).

I didnit knew about the proprietary Cable fromm senn Hd 598 & 558.

The annie is overpriced for me ? or we can find them at 250€ somwhere ?

Mb the Q701 or k612, what are the diff ? My ears will fit ?

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #3,854 of 5,962

Why would you use an open headphone outside? If you are on a budget and have free time get yourself a T50rp for $100 and mod it to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back