[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #3,826 of 5,962

No it's not crazy. Yeah, sucks that you missed the $150 deal but if it makes you feel better, I bought my 2nd X1 at $300 just 3 weeks before the $150 deal. And no I wasn't able to get a refund.

As for being worth $100 over the HD558 or not, that certainly depends on what you want. The X1 is definitely, heads and shoulders, tip and toe better than the HD558 for gaming, this I can assure you as I do use to have a HD558 mostly as my main headphones for games. As for electronica and pretty much mostly every other genre, the X1 does very well in them. The HD558 is a rather decent all-rounder too, but it certainly wouldn't excel in electronica and rock IMO. The HD558s focus is on the forward mids with a very slight bump in the mid-bass, it is also a brighter and less warmer than the X1.

I'd say go for the X1 and it would be a headphone that should last you a very long time before you'd feel the need to upgrade again. If $230 is a tough pill to swallow, then perhaps wait for another sale? 

Thanks for the feedback. I can be patient. My wife won't be gifting me the headphones I pick out until closer to my birthday at the end of March lol. Here's hoping for another X1 sale or at least a price drop to below $200. It really does sound like the best option for what I'm looking for.

edit: As of right now, the price has been creeping back up the last few days on Amazon. Would love to see it hit $200.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #3,828 of 5,962
X1 Variation

I auditioned a X1 nine months ago in Asia and was blown away even then.  That along with the HD800 and HD650 were my favorites in the pro shop filled with other top end products.  That X1 sound has been bouncing at the back of my mind a lot until recently. 

Now, I actually have two X1 that I am testing. It is remarkable how different the two sound. Both have that signature sound - BUT they are different enough that I am very tempted to keep both though I won't as a matter of principle. 

Compared to each other: 

Unit 1.  Huge solid bass. Almost too much at times for a non-bass head though I do like my bass full and clear.  The sound is fuller/thicker like a tube amp type sound. But still very good clarity.  Soundstage width about the same as HD650. Vocals more forward than the other X1.  And noticeably louder than the other unit. This unit just has has a RICH sound.  This made A/B testing a bit more difficult as one has to adjust the volume knob every time. 

Unit 2. Bass more 'normal' though still strong. More recessed vocals and mids. Noticeably lower volume, though still louder than the HD650 at the same power.  Significantly wider soundstage than the other. The soundstage makes this one stand out. It is a clear focused soundstage, not indistinct/diffused like the AKG Q701 that I could not get used to with its airplane hanger type soundstage. (At least to my ears.)  There is a lot of air/space on this one.  This unit just has a solid yet clear airy large soundstage. 

Really, the differences are so distinct that one could easily believe that these were two different model of headphones. To me, easily more difference than say, the HD650 and HD600.  So this explains for my why some complain the X1 has too much bass while others may complain that the vocals are too recessed. The variation is significant. The most surprising thing to me is that one X1 sounds noticeably louder than the other when input the same power.  I don't know how to explain this. 

For me, I am keeping one and it has been virtually impossible to decide on which one to keep after days of testing.  In the end, because I have a portable amp that accentuates the warmth, I may keep unit 2.  But unit 1 is intoxicatingly rich while still communicating all the mid and upper frequencies.  

In short, EXCELLENT headphones for the $.  I can't think of anything else that is near the same bang for the buck in open air headphones. For me, easily at least the equal of the HD650. 

ps: And yes, cable makes a discernible difference. The stock sounds more muffled in the bass than an aftermarket cable I had lying around.  I was really surprised as I was positive that it won't make any difference so when I swapped the cable, I was very very surprised.  

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #3,829 of 5,962
  X1 Variation

I auditioned a X1 nine months ago in Asia and was blown away even then.  That along with the HD800 and HD650 were my favorites in the pro shop filled with other top end products.  That X1 sound has been bouncing at the back of my mind a lot until recently. 

Now, I actually have two X1 that I am testing. It is remarkable how different the two sound. Both have that signature sound - BUT they are different enough that I am very tempted to keep both though I won't as a matter of principle. 

Compared to each other: 

Unit 1.  Huge solid bass. Almost too much at times for a non-bass head though I do like my bass full and clear.  The sound is fuller/thicker like a tube amp type sound. But still very good clarity.  Soundstage width about the same as HD650. Vocals more forward than the other X1.  And noticeably louder than the other unit. This unit just has has a RICH sound.  This made A/B testing a bit more difficult as one has to adjust the volume knob every time. 

Unit 2. Bass more 'normal' though still strong. More recessed vocals and mids. Noticeably lower volume, though still louder than the HD650 at the same power.  Significantly wider soundstage than the other. The soundstage makes this one stand out. It is a clear focused soundstage, not indistinct/diffused like the AKG Q701 that I could not get used to with its airplane hanger type soundstage. (At least to my ears.)  There is a lot of air/space on this one.  This unit just has a solid yet clear airy large soundstage. 

Really, the differences are so distinct that one could easily believe that these were two different model of headphones. To me, easily more difference than say, the HD650 and HD600.  So this explains for my why some complain the X1 has too much bass while others may complain that the vocals are too recessed. The variation is significant. The most surprising thing to me is that one X1 sounds noticeably louder than the other when input the same power.  I don't know how to explain this. 

For me, I am keeping one and it has been virtually impossible to decide on which one to keep after days of testing.  In the end, because I have a portable amp that accentuates the warmth, I may keep unit 2.  But unit 1 is intoxicatingly rich while still communicating all the mid and upper frequencies.  

In short, EXCELLENT headphones for the $.  I can't think of anything else that is near the same bang for the buck in open air headphones. For me, easily at least the equal of the HD650. 

ps: And yes, cable makes a discernible difference. The stock sounds more muffled in the bass than an aftermarket cable I had lying around.  I was really surprised as I was positive that it won't make any difference so when I swapped the cable, I was very very surprised.  

Thanks for the great review. I still enjoying my X1 every night. Do you think I can use my TBSE1 cable for X1? Is it any cable works?

X1 is really awesome. I have HD580 but I find X1 comfort, quality and sound is unparalleled. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #3,830 of 5,962
  X1 Variation

Compared to each other: 

Having 2 X1s side by side on my table in my room now, I can't tell the difference between them other than the older one having its earpads more broken in. Your case is odd and interesting though.

The X1 sold in Asia and Europe is affixed with a X1/00 while the one sold in the US is X1/28, so the difference in model number isn't just a region code then? Both my X1s are ordered from Amazon US, so they're both X1/28. What about yours?

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,831 of 5,962

Having 2 X1s side by side on my table in my room now, I can't tell the difference between them other than the older one having its earpads more broken in. Your case is odd and interesting though.

The X1 sold in Asia and Europe is affixed with a X1/00 while the one sold in the US is X1/28, so the difference in model number isn't just a region code then? Both my X1s are ordered from Amazon US, so they're both X1/28. What about yours?

Well i just received my Fidelio X1 ! (From espana, 200€, X1/00)
And it like the UNIT 1 described above.
The best solution IMO is to ask the philips support is there any differences.

About the X1, i come From a Sennheiser HD 25, And a Sennheiser pc 363d.
One word: WOW
The first thing i noticed is the HUGE differencies in bass, night & day.

I tested the stock cable, and a cheap one, and i prefer my X1 with the cheap cable, the bass appear to be less muddy.
But for the non-basshead, they would prefer the stock cable, the sound is warmer.

About the comfort, i am disapointed. Eveyrone said it was the best ...but
I have the pc 363d (same than the hd 598 for the comfort)
And i prefer it by far.

My ears touch the drivers (the pads arent big enough) and irrate my ears.
And if i keep the head more than 1 hour, he start to be hot in the ears area.

If i should note the X1

10/10 for the sound
6/10 for the comfort
10/10 for the build quality

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3,832 of 5,962
  I'm not hearing the soundstage on the X1s at all. I happened to receive mine the day before I learned about the Philips Golden Ears site, and after listening to a bit of music I started going through the program. On the soundstage section, I struggled to hear a difference between the reference and all the tracks but the one with the narrowest soundstage - they all sounded compressed. I then tried with DT880 Pros, and it was immediately obvious what the difference was.

Sorry you can't hear the soundstage with the X1.  I took the Philips Golden Ears Challenge and earned the Silver Ears.  I finished everything except the Timbre "Frequency Bands on Music" section.  I LOVE my Philips Fidelio X1 headphones 

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #3,835 of 5,962
For people who can't hear the soundstage on the X1, try listening to the Zombies' Odessey & Oracle. It really highlights the soundstage and imaging of these cans.

You got anything a little more modern? :D

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #3,836 of 5,962
You got anything a little more modern? :D

Nine Inch Nails Hesitation Marks "While I'm Still Here"

Daft Punk Random Access Memories "Doin' It Right"

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #3,837 of 5,962
Do the X1s need to be broken into? Just wondering since I probobly just put in about 10 hours of listening music and playing games, im currently using my ma900 for gaming.

Also, when I started using the X1s, they felt comfortable but after about 2 hours, my ears started to feel a bit sore and warm, after about 30 more minutes, they felt a bit heavy. I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue with them? i love the X1s since they are more of a fun headphone but dont want to sell them if they keep feeling like that.

I kind of want something with the MA900 lightness and X1s sound signature, AKG 702 Annies maybe?

Also, if maybe i end up getting use to the X1 or find a way to make them more comfortable, and all of a sudden the X1s go on sale for 150 bucks, i will buy them again lol. The pads are soo soft

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #3,838 of 5,962
Every headphone needs to be broken in as far as I know...
Your X1 too, not just the sound, but the pads and strap too.
Give them some more time. I personally don't have any problem with them, but then again, I'm coming from cheapo headphones.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #3,839 of 5,962
  Do the X1s need to be broken into? Just wondering since I probobly just put in about 10 hours of listening music and playing games, im currently using my ma900 for gaming.

Also, when I started using the X1s, they felt comfortable but after about 2 hours, my ears started to feel a bit sore and warm, after about 30 more minutes, they felt a bit heavy. I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue with them? i love the X1s since they are more of a fun headphone but dont want to sell them if they keep feeling like that.

I kind of want something with the MA900 lightness and X1s sound signature, AKG 702 Annies maybe?

Also, if maybe i end up getting use to the X1 or find a way to make them more comfortable, and all of a sudden the X1s go on sale for 150 bucks, i will buy them again lol. The pads are soo soft

I am in the exactly same case than you.
My ears are too warm after one hour of listening at home, and they touch the drivers plasic grill...

1) it cause a pain to my ears
BUT
2) when a music full of bass is played, my ear vibrate and i love that :p

I am trying to put it on my head for an entire evening and it look like that day for day, the pain tend to disappear.
But damn, the confort of the sennheisers (Hd 598 / pc 363d) are by far ABOVE for me.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #3,840 of 5,962
I love the sound of the Fidelio X1, but I will be returning them because of the irreplaceable ear pads. Do any of you guys have recommendations on an open headphone? I've been looking at other headphones, but I'm afraid I may not like the sound as much. I've also been looking at the AKG Q701 and the K702 anniversaries and read that the difference between the two are just pads in another thread. Will they give me a close enough sound when listening with a Fiio X3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back