[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #3,526 of 5,962
I've read from a couple of places that these headphones are not good for classical/acoustic music because of the large bass. I'm looking to get my first pair of good audiophile headphones with a max budget of 150$ (2 days ago it was 50$ haha). If I listen to mainly rock, classical, blues, and acoustic music, would these headphones be a good choice at the 150$ price?

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #3,527 of 5,962
  I've read from a couple of places that these headphones are not good for classical/acoustic music because of the large bass. I'm looking to get my first pair of good audiophile headphones with a max budget of 150$ (2 days ago it was 50$ haha). If I listen to mainly rock, classical, blues, and acoustic music, would these headphones be a good choice at the 150$ price?

I am listening to classical right now and they sound great. Maybe to the purist they have too much bass, but I like a little weight to my music. I listened to some Ani di Franco (lots of acoustic guitar) and the X1s were outstanding. NIN, Tool, A Perfect Circle all were terrific. Don't listen to much blues, so I cannot comment. My only complaint - and it really is not the can's fault - is that there is a lot of ambient noise in my office, so to hear low level detail that is readily apparent on, say, my IEMs, I have to crank the volume a bit, which is not a bad thing! I did get an IM from a fellow worker, stating that he could hear my music and he is about ten feet away. Granted, I was listening at higher than normal levels...

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #3,531 of 5,962
With a mic, Astro Mixamp + V-MODA BoomPro, without a mic, TB DSS.

Thanks for that, wont need a mic, only looking for improved sound.

So the one you mean (or similar) is this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DSS2-Dolby-Processor-CAN-EU/dp/B0077MEDTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390404198&sr=8-1&keywords=TB+DSS

Does look very good, like the idea of using the optical out. Is the £50 price tag justified though?

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3,532 of 5,962
How would you guys compare these to the B&W P7's. I know they're different classes of headphones but I am looking for headphones to use exclusively at home in quiet environments. Sound leakage is not an issue. Love the P7s but $150 for X1s is just so tempting.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #3,536 of 5,962
Listen to some Miles Davis and John Coltrane with the X1s and you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #3,538 of 5,962
Thanks for that, wont need a mic, only looking for improved sound.

So the one you mean (or similar) is this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DSS2-Dolby-Processor-CAN-EU/dp/B0077MEDTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390404198&sr=8-1&keywords=TB+DSS

Does look very good, like the idea of using the optical out. Is the £50 price tag justified though?
You would be better off looking for a used original DSS since it supports Dolby 5.1/7.1 and the DSS2 doesn't. You can also try searching for a used mixamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back