[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #3,451 of 5,962
Replaceable pads!? Cripes, I won't own these suckers in five years, so who cares? 

----> I'm off to wash my face and add a double dose of coconut oil, nice and shiny.

Motorwayne
Killin Zombies, one headshot at a time.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #3,453 of 5,962
  Replaceable pads!? Cripes, I won't own these suckers in five years, so who cares? 

Who cares? Maybe the guy who would like to sell them in a few years but can't because the pads are worn out and can't be replaced.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #3,454 of 5,962

Who cares? Maybe the guy who would like to sell them in a few years but can't because the pads are worn out and can't be replaced.

Nah, none issue...move and shoot.

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3,455 of 5,962
  Nah, none issue...move and shoot.

size]

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3,456 of 5,962
Listening to some new E-40 jams. Boosted the bass by +6 using my Creative ZXR EQ. The bass pounds and doesn't distort at all even at high volume. Highs and mids sound fantastic as well even with the bass boosted.
L3000.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #3,457 of 5,962
So, there have been a few impressions posts, and short reviews. I got my X1s yesterday, and have been using them pretty much every waking moment since they were delivered.

I'll start with first impressions:

The box is hefty. There are better boxes, but my experience is that the box these headphones came in is easily the heftiest cardboard box I have ever received headphones in. Plus, the box looks as good as the headphones, mainly because the headphones are pictured all over the box. This is a good thing.

Packaging is fine. Secure, so I'm confident shipping these is safe, online purchases are a fine way to get them.

At this point I stopped caring about much else, so instead I will jump right ahead to listening: These are all in comparison to CAL!, HTF600, HD598, Sibera V2. A mix of mid and lo-fi cans. Spoiler: They can't keep up.

Anime:

Yes. There are some of us who watch anime. This may seem strange, but my biggest complaint with most headphones and anime is that anime generally has female voices that are borderline painful. Couple that with the 'made for TV' mastering Anime receives and you have a recipe for headphone disaster.

First off: Kill la Kill: Action / Sci-Fi / Tarantino-Style series from the creators of Gurren Lagann. This series has a very diverse and interesting soundtrack, with only character melodies persisting across episodes. Fight scenes are boomy and highly energetic. This hot mess has never managed to sound good on any headphones, and my only other points of comparison are the CAL!, HD598, HTF 600s and Steelseries Siberia V2s. In all cases, the timbre of the relentless attack of boomy lows and crushing mids has, without fail, always resulted in a distorted mess, or the loss of all detail across the low range of sound. The X1s, however, managed to painlessly reproduce the full sound of every explosion, crumbling building and ripping school uniform.

Next up: Cowboy Bebop: Widely renowned as having one of the best Anime Soundtracks (or soundtracks in general), Cowboy Bebop presents a sci-fi jazz western unlike anything the West has ever managed to fully deliver. Stunning vocals mix in with typical anime frantic action and continuous dialogue, easily mucking up any listening experience. Siberia V2s and HD598s sounded thin throughout, while the CAL!s seemed overly boomy and mushy. The HTF 600s manage to clear things up but sound a bit hollow. Meanwhile, the X1s manage to trudge through the mess of gunfire, breaking things and jazzy snares and bass and trumpets, never skipping a beat, without being tiring or overbearing.

Lastly: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This is one of the best mastered animes I have ever seen. The stereo soundstage is carefully balanced so that all sounds are presented in a virtual 3D space. However, this effect is often lost going from stereo speakers to Headphones. Where my Siberia V2s and CAL! waivered was reproducing this effect. The HTF 600 and HD 598 did it splendidly, but the HD 598 dropped the ball on musicality. The X1 is as accurate as the 598s, but when the action picks up, or when the violin plucking soundtrack starts up, the X1s delivery is more engaging and, dare I say, more balanced. If only more fun, shows like this are supposed to be fun.

Overall, the X1s have brought a whole new degree of pleasure to Anime. Gone is the fatigue induced by the criminally insane pitch of female japanese voice overs, and the incompetent stereo mastering of the vast majority of anime is easily masked by the energy delivered by the X1s. For the first time in a long while, I prefer headphones to my Advent Loudspeakers for at least one listening category. A special note is that only the X1s have managed to reveal reverberations from the recordings in all listening cases. Small details added by studios to place the voices within an actual environment, rather than in a bland 2D space where no room dimensions or imperfections can be heard in the recording. This is especially notable in many projects done by Kyoto Animation.

Movies:

Movies are long. I am sure we can all agree on this. My experience with Anime has lead me to decide most dramatic, conversational elements of films will likely give the X1 a win. Instead, I decided to focus on wild hollywood blockbuster action and orchestration. The fight sequences in films like The Avengers, Man of Steel and Pacific Rim come alive through the X1s. Every sound is masterfully rendered, without any fatigue. This is a feat no other headphone I own has managed. The leaky sound makes them less than ideal for silent listening by sleeping partners, or viewing questionable content in secret.

Music:

This is straight forward: Want analytical? These aren't for you.

Already own AKG702(Annie) or HD598/600? Buy these. They will add to your collection. They are fabulous. They take music, render it nearly perfectly and then add life. Yes, life is not perfect, but it is still fun, exciting, engaging and overwhelming. I do not listen to Rap or Hip Hop or otherwise trashy. Nor do I listen to proper Metal. That said, with the exception of Adele / Norah Jones - style vocal heavy listening, the X1s over-deliver. Even with Adele, the sound is great, although veiled. Norah Jones (Vinyl rip, 192/24) simply does not come alive on the X1s the way she does on the Sennheisers. If you happen to like Norah Jones, in particular, then these aren't for you.

Otherwise, be it 30 Seconds from Mars, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cosmic Gate, Coldplay, The Killers, Muse, Maroon 5, Katy Perry, Debussy, Rachmaninov, Blindside, Avril Lavinge, or whatever else I have in my music drive, bassy or not, these headphones simply shine. They wipe the floor with everything I have ever used to listen with. Instruments come alive, and playback in a virtual yet real world around you, projected in three dimensions. Never tiring, always comfortable. Music really is better when listening through the X1s.

Systems:

Movies: Yamaha RX-371 / SPDIF (DTS-HD when possible).

Anime and Music: Xonar ST with LM49720NA op-amps.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #3,458 of 5,962
  Perhaps you could put on a makeshift protector on the pads. Look way back in this thread.. some guy who was very worried about the durability of the pads used something or other that might just solve your problem. I've completely forgotten what it was sorry. Kind of like a mini hair net??

Search for Sfwalcer's posts in this thread. He came up with a nifty way to use women's stretchy socks to cover the pads. From the pics he posted, the mod looks fine/good also.

I'm pretty sure though that someone has been able to take off and put back the pads without issue (again in this thread somewhere). But Phillips would have to make the pads available for purchase separately for that to become really viable.

I've used socks as covers and also these things:
http://www.amazon.com/Large-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-Earmuff-style/dp/B009CDXPCG

Although the pads aren't meant to be removed, you can remove them, wash them, and reattach them.  People have done it.

Philips still needs to release an X2 with removable pads though.  Enough complaints are enough.  The X1 is too good of a headphone to be crippled by such a small issue.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #3,459 of 5,962
Nice writeup Ninja!! Glad you're happy with them.

@chicolom > Very nice find - A bag of 100 should last a good while for the guy who was asking.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #3,460 of 5,962
I've used socks as covers and also these things:
http://www.amazon.com/Large-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-Earmuff-style/dp/B009CDXPCG

Although the pads aren't meant to be removed, you can remove them, wash them, and reattach them.  People have done it.

Philips still needs to release an X2 with removable pads though.  Enough complaints are enough.  The X1 is too good of a headphone to be crippled by such a small issue.
I wonder if those covers diminish sound quality though.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #3,461 of 5,962

I think you have to cut a whole in the middle, otherwise your ears won't fit in because they get stretched like a bass drum skin over the opening.

Even if you didn't though, I wouldn't worry about any sound quality changes at all (I bet it sounds 99.99% identical).

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #3,463 of 5,962
I'm going to order some. Thanks for the link!

Sure.

Another cheaper solution is to go the dollar store and cut up a pair of thin black socks to use as covers.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3,464 of 5,962

Ha! they look like they are made out of weed mat. I just purchased some yesterday that looks exactly like it...someone has then just overlocked around the edge...good thinking. I'll make some next week and post a pic.

Motorwayne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back