[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3,406 of 5,962
  No, it's not the bass. It's hard to describe why exactly, I'm still a novice in this hobby so maybe someone else could chime in on their opinion. The music I listen to is all lossless so the reason might either be due to poor mastering of the albums or that the X1 just doesn't play those songs to my taste. 

I just find myself listening to other genres more because I feel they just sound much better. The acoustic rock songs I've heard through them sound great though. 

What a about this kind of rock? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k60gyLuc0Tc

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #3,407 of 5,962

Sounded fine to me but probably not aggressive enough in the mids. Guitars are a little too warm and the attack is a little bland compared to the same song with my RS1. But if you prefer a more laid back sound then the x1 did very well in my opinion.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #3,408 of 5,962
Sounded fine to me but probably not aggressive enough in the mids. Guitars are a little too warm and the attack is a little bland compared to the same song with my RS1. But if you prefer a more laid back sound then the x1 did very well in my opinion.

Most of what I listen to are not faster than this, so the attack may not be a problem.. this is the kind I listen the most http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHvp7LxJxE4

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3,410 of 5,962
  When I listened to this, the bass seemed like the most prominent aspect. The vocals seemed like an accompaniment. Sounded good though (but I personally prefer the vocals to be more prominent).

Yeah, me too. I better look elsewhere then.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3,411 of 5,962
I don't know it it has been posted yet, but if not then the X1 are on sale through Amazon US for $250. For $250, it's basically the best headphone of any value one can ask for, audiophile or not.
So, those still on the fence go get it before they dissapear — just 12 left in stock (the restock will bounce back to $300).

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #3,412 of 5,962
I don't know it it has been posted yet, but if not then the X1 are on sale through Amazon US for $250. For $250, it's basically the best headphone of any value one can ask for, audiophile or not.
So, those still on the fence go get it before they dissapear — just 12 left in stock (the restock will bounce back to $300).

Yeah, it's been posted a few times here and in the deals thread. The sale goes till the end of the month. A few of us have already taken advantage. :)

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #3,414 of 5,962
Got two replacement cables from epiphany accoustics uk the solaris mjk and solaris mjk II with rather large jacks and
That gave no problems with the X1.
The markII sounded far better than the mark I solaris. Larger soundstage , better bass definition....
So there is certainly improvement using better cables.
Rather satified with the X1 at the moment but may buy a toxic cable in the future. Perhaps Silver.
Copper or silver any experience?

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #3,415 of 5,962
Got two replacement cables from epiphany accoustics uk the solaris mjk and solaris mjk II with rather large jacks and
That gave no problems with the X1.
The markII sounded far better than the mark I solaris. Larger soundstage , better bass definition....
So there is certainly improvement using better cables.
Rather satified with the X1 at the moment but may buy a toxic cable in the future. Perhaps Silver.
Copper or silver any experience?

Thanks for the reply,

I've used both copper and silver cables (with headphones other than the X1s), and have found that the copper cables produce a more neutral sound, that is, whatever the characteristics of the headphone, the copper cables retain those, but improve clarity and sound quality overall. Silver cables tend to make the sound a bit brighter. At least that has been my experience.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #3,416 of 5,962
Thanks for the reply,

I've used both copper and silver cables (with headphones other than the X1s), and have found that the copper cables produce a more neutral sound, that is, whatever the characteristics of the headphone, the copper cables retain those, but improve clarity and sound quality overall. Silver cables tend to make the sound a bit brighter. At least that has been my experience.

Yes that makes sense. We don't want the X1 to lose it's flavour.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3,418 of 5,962
Sometimes i hear a noise like sand or like scratch when my fidelio x1 reproduces treble. It's a very very slight noise and occurres only with some songs but i can't hear that noise with CAL. Is my X1 defective?

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #3,419 of 5,962
Took my Denon AH-D600's back and decided to go with the X1's instead. Hope they live up to what people here are saying about them. Also hope they go well with my Schiit Vali. Should get them Tuesday. I'll post pics and early impressions soon.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #3,420 of 5,962
One thing I'm not liking (minor annoyance at this point) is when I'm walking around, the movement does introduce some noise into the cups. I understand, these are not for walking, but I do occasionally, especially with a long cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back