[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #3,361 of 5,962

While the X1 is not the most refined of speakers, esp when it comes to accurately reproducing delicate details, of all the cans i own, it literally sent chills down my spine when listening to something like Munch's stirring rendition of Bolero.   I have an HD650 and it isnt even close.    

For symphonies with timpani, string bass or brass, the X1 does a damn fine job.     It is a very dynamic headphone which adds a lot punch & impact to the sound of an orchestra going full throttle - if that is important to you, consider these headphones.

And at 100DB/mW and 30 ohms impedance, these should do as well as any other full-sized can with iPod outputs.

Have you listened to the HD650 with the bottlehead crack? This combination seems to be universally loved. It would be interesting to hear thoughts on how that combo compares with the X1.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #3,362 of 5,962
  Have you listened to the HD650 with the bottlehead crack? This combination seems to be universally loved. It would be interesting to hear thoughts on how that combo compares with the X1.

No, unfortunately not. I've only listened to them on the Little Dot Mk IVSE.

Looking at my previous post, it implied that the X1s are better than the 650s in all respects - that isnt what I meant.   I was referring to overall slam and impact.   The 650s are generally a little more balanced and probably a better headphone for when you want to soak in the performance and/or desire tonal accuracy - but the X1s actually do a better job of reproducing the slam of an orchestra going full tilt.  

It all depends on what your listening mood/preferences are.    For something like Bolero or one of the shorter orchestral powerhouse works like Slave March, Samson & Delilah, etc., I prefer the X1s.   For a more extended critical listening sessions, I think I'd prefer the 650s more often than the X1s.   The X1s are definitely not "unsuitable", however.  

Hope that clarifies, and sorry for any confusion with my earlier post.

[Side note - the 650s are strange headphones.  I really used to like them (still do, as a matter of fact).   Then I got the LCD2s.   And everytime i start listening to the 650s now, I get the whole "Sennheiser veil" thing now.   But after a few min, I dont care about that, and can simply listen to the music without getting caught into audioweenieism.   This is a music-lover's headphone].

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #3,363 of 5,962
I just received my Philips Fidelio X1s and they are awesome. It does bass better than any other bass headphone I have. Someone else described it as Dynamic is an accurate statement. If you love EDM like I do then I think these cans are a fantastic match. For me it produces just the right kind of bass and the analog synths :)

I've paired it with my Schiit Vali + Modi and I have to say what an amazing combination. Who would have ever thought EDM sounded so rich and dynamic with a tube amp lol

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #3,364 of 5,962
i have no idea how any of these options sound like. I have never used a headphone amp so please help me in choosing which combo i should buy.. im losing my mind.. help please... Its gonna be equally used for gaming and movies and maybe a little bit of music..

Xonar U3 + Fiio E6 + Fidelio X1 = cheapest, easy to use with an android device?

Xonar U3 +Fiio E17 + Fidelio X1= dac/amp combo

Xonar U3 + Fidelio E18 + Fidelio X1= functionality with android devices

Xonar U3 + Fiio E12 + Fidelio X1= just read from somewhere that the sound quality is good with this pairing

Xonar U3 + Fiio E11 + Fidelio X1= suggested by MLE

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,365 of 5,962
Hi guys. I hope someond here can help me.. im going to buy the fidelio and connect it with a xonar u3 but i read that this setup alone will mess up the sq due to impedance.. so i decided to connect a dac/amp combo in between.. i was just wondering which is better to connect with this setup.. the e7 or the e10? E17 is kinda out of the budget.. i hope someone can help me.. thanks!

I have been listening with my Philips Fidelio X1 from Fiio E10 for about an hour and didn't really like them because instrument separation and stereo imaging were bad.
But Fiio E10 is a good product for lower budget headphones according to my little experience.
Keep in mind that although X1 is really easy to drive, it reveals the weeknesses of the source of the sound. 
Currently I am listening with the X1 from my Colorfly C3 DAP which is a good match I can say.
I am waiting for an "Aune X1 MK2" to arrive next week. I will post my impressions when available.

My advice is that If you can't afford a better dac/amp than Fiio E10, don't buy Philips Fidelio X1! Fiio E10 combined with another cheaper headphone should be more enjoyable in every way.
I haven't heard Fiio E7 or E07k but I doubt that it will be better.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,367 of 5,962

Still wowed by just how nice the Fisual cable is. Look at it, and that's taken with a phone camera!

For £13, it's a must for the X1.

Too bad it's not available in the US.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,368 of 5,962
Too bad it's not available in the US.

^This. I'm looking for something decent in the US as well. Best option so far is V-Moda's audio only cable.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3,369 of 5,962
^This. I'm looking for something decent in the US as well. Best option so far is V-Moda's audio only cable.

I do occasionally buy moves through Amazon.uk. Perhaps I can add these cables during one of my orders. Just don't know when I'll be buying from there again.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #3,370 of 5,962
Mine came in on saturday. So far so good.

VERY happy with them for movies and gaming. Bass goes down nice and low with a decent rumble to it but it doesn't mask over the highs. Music sounds nice and smooth on them. The soundstage/imaging is excellent! Again good solid bass but still nice mids and highs without any annoying treble spikes (to my ears). I could actually see people thinking maybe the highs were a bit subdued on a lot of tracks. They definitely need a decent sound source. Tried a couple low res MP3's and the sound wen't from warm and smooth to harsh and tiring. They don't hide bad source material like cheaper headphones would.

The build quality is top notch. Love the material choices. The most solid headphone i've owned thus far.

The headband was actually making the top of my head hurt, sorta like there was too much pressure pushing down on it. Seems to have gotten better as it breaks in a little bit. Overall they are very comfy and the ear pads feel great.

As for the cable. I first plugged it in with the stock one and thought "man these guys are crazy. This cable is fine". After that I switched to the media bridge cable I ordered..... Night and day difference. The volume and punchiness of the sound was immediately noticeable. It's not to say that the stock cable sounds bad per se, but the media bridge is better.

I'll update as I get more time in them.

If you're on the fence. Grab them! for the current $249 price they are a bargain.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #3,371 of 5,962
Is there any other cables you found besides the Media Bridge 3.5mm? That's looking like a good cheap option and I'm surprised that there was a noticeable difference when you compared it to the stock cable.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #3,372 of 5,962

From what I gathered here, The V Moda cable almost has the same resistance as the stock cable.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #3,374 of 5,962
Jan 7, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #3,375 of 5,962
From what I gathered here, The V Moda cable almost has the same resistance as the stock cable.

Thought Tyll measured the V-Moda cable and was 0.5 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back