[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 6, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #3,346 of 5,962
If Philips makes the pads available in the future, you will find that the pads just need to be pulled off and the new ones pushed back in. The glue is optional in my view as the studs are designed so that left and right pads are not interchangeable and there is only one way up for each pad. Headphones like Audeze are a lot more difficult to change earpads.

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation. How hard is it to pull off the original glued on pads, if I may ask? Also, has anyone directly contacted Philips and asked about the potential for purchasing replacement pads? If so, was the response strictly negative, or more of a "no comment"?

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #3,348 of 5,962
I get the impression they've been selling like hotcakes. I always put them on my headphone stand and I really do think they will last for ages if you look after them.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #3,349 of 5,962
  They should really be on top of this, it sure sounds like this one single issue has a strong impact on potential sales

I'm not too sure about that. I don't think the average consumer knows that they can replace any part of headphones, so it wouldn't really factor into their purchasing decisions. In addition, a lot of people always want the "latest and greatest" equipment, and wouldn't mind just picking up a new pair of whatever the current model is several years down the road. Most of the headphones I own, I've had for at least 10 years, and replaced the pads several times, so non-replaceable pads is something of a dealbreaker for me. For the average person, though? Not so much.

I guess it really depends on how much Philips wants to push these cans on the audiophile market. I may hold out in hope of a revised X2 with a low-impedance stock cable and more easily replaceable pads.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #3,350 of 5,962
Awesome! Thanks for the explanation. How hard is it to pull off the original glued on pads, if I may ask? Also, has anyone directly contacted Philips and asked about the potential for purchasing replacement pads? If so, was the response strictly negative, or more of a "no comment"?

It doesn't require much force. The studs don't give much of a resistance, the glue a bit more. Even a kid's strength is sufficient.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #3,351 of 5,962
How does the X1 perform with symphonic classical music when compared to headphones such as the HD598/558 or HE-400? If it does acceptably well with classical, I would really like to get it in lieu of an HD600 since I wouldn't have to also drop $200 on an amp/dac setup. It's essentially $250 for the X1 versus $310 + $200 for the HD600.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #3,352 of 5,962
Is there a small 3.5mm adapter I can use and leave on the headphone? I feel like im gonna damage the port in the future since I switch cables all the time from the mediabridge to the V moda boom pro

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3,353 of 5,962
  How does the X1 perform with symphonic classical music when compared to headphones such as the HD598/558 or HE-400? If it does acceptably well with classical, I would really like to get it in lieu of an HD600 since I wouldn't have to also drop $200 on an amp/dac setup. It's essentially $250 for the X1 versus $310 + $200 for the HD600.

If you're really looking to be dealing primarily with classical music, you might want to consider the HD650 instead of the HD600. From what I've heard, it's genre bandwidth isn't as wide as the HD600, and it's not quite as neutral sounding overall, but the consensus is that classical/piano/opera is an area where it really shines.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #3,354 of 5,962
Thanks for the response. I guess what I'm asking is if the X1 will be acceptable as a poor man's HD650/600 for classical. I don't have an amp or dac, so a full setup for an HD650 would cost twice what I'de pay for the X1, since the X1 can be driven fine from my current equipment.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #3,356 of 5,962
I just ordered a pair of these, along with a v-moda BoomPro mic/cable for PC gaming (mostly league) purposes. I plan to use my FiiO E17 DAC/amp to drive it.

Anyone else happen to have this setup and would care to share their experiences?  I'm hoping the E17 suffices as a DAC and amp and am particularly curious to see how the E17's EQ affects the bass of the X1.   

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3,358 of 5,962
You're looking for something shorter than one inch? I don't think it's physically possible to make an adapter much smaller than that monoprice one, since it's literally just a female jack and male jack coupled together.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3,359 of 5,962

While the X1 is not the most refined of speakers, esp when it comes to accurately reproducing delicate details, of all the cans i own, it literally sent chills down my spine when listening to something like Munch's stirring rendition of Bolero.   I have an HD650 and it isnt even close.    

For symphonies with timpani, string bass or brass, the X1 does a damn fine job.     It is a very dynamic headphone which adds a lot punch & impact to the sound of an orchestra going full throttle - if that is important to you, consider these headphones.

And at 100DB/mW and 30 ohms impedance, these should do as well as any other full-sized can with iPod outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back