[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 1, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #3,288 of 5,962

Pics to share too. They come in an absolutely lovely padded box. My HE-400 came in a paper box with no cover no protection whatsover 
blink.gif

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #3,289 of 5,962
Ah, Mrk, we have the same taste.
I had the HD598 for 2 years and then loads of mid fi, dt 990, dt 880, mmx 300, aurvana live.

Got the x1 day before yesterday and this is probably the happiest ive been with a headphone. Spent all day listening to the music, rather than the headphones! 

Regarding the cable, Is it much difference? I have some canare starquad and neutrik 3.5mm available to make a cable as the stock one is way too long.

What resistance would I be looking for in a new cable?

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #3,290 of 5,962
Great aren't they? :D

The headphones guy who reviews in detail measured 1.5x ohms over the stock cable whereas a decent cable measures around 0.5 ohms iirc - I don't have a multimeter to test at hand and the one I do have I don't know if it has that feature (any other ways to do it?). I'll do a lengthy listen session with stock then Fisual but as far as ergonomics go, the stock cable is just a tad too bulky and the terminations are big!

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #3,293 of 5,962

Pics to share too. They come in an absolutely lovely padded box. My HE-400 came in a paper box with no cover no protection whatsover 
blink.gif

I'd have to strongly disagree with you on this front. Considering the MSRP of these headphones I found the quality of the box itself to be subpar. It was fuzzy flimsy plastic inside the box. My Sennheiser Momentums came in a much better box, there is no comparison. In fact when I received my brand new headphones and opened up the box the leather on the top of the band was scuffed in 2 places. While it sounds like it was better than your HE-400's, by no means do I think they come in a great box. :p

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #3,294 of 5,962
I think the X1's box is quite nice.

I've had a lot of mid-fi phones, and a lot of them have come in much flimsier boxes that would get destroyed if you stepped on them. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3,295 of 5,962
Of all my headphones past and present, the X1 box is the nicest.

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #3,296 of 5,962
I got my X1's recently. Plugged them in to my Corda Quickstep (and ODAC) and found them to be poor. Muddled, boomy bass, and suppressed and grainy treble.

Not happy.

So left them burning in for about 60 hours.

Cannot tell you how happy I am with these now! Beautiful controlled and deep bass (and not as over-done as you may think by reading reviews) with a hugely detailed sound stage and clean and detailed treble. Perfect!

I have to say that these phones need the Quickstep. Directly into my X5 is not much good. But overall a complete bargain.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,297 of 5,962

I'd have to strongly disagree with you on this front. Considering the MSRP of these headphones I found the quality of the box itself to be subpar. It was fuzzy flimsy plastic inside the box. My Sennheiser Momentums came in a much better box, there is no comparison. In fact when I received my brand new headphones and opened up the box the leather on the top of the band was scuffed in 2 places. While it sounds like it was better than your HE-400's, by no means do I think they come in a great box. :p

I would agree that the packaging is less than stellar.  Sennheiser definitely has some of the nicest packaging in the headphone industry but in the end it's all about the sound and I really like the sound of the X1's.  Oh and the X1's look and feel like a million bucks!

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #3,298 of 5,962
Oh and the X1's look and feel like a million bucks!

Oh for sure. When you have people round they're going to look at them and think What when you tell them how much they actually cost and then give them a listen session on them.

They'll go away wondering What people are paying twice the price for BEATS lol.

The Fisual S-Flex Mini cable definitely adds some class to them as well. The stock cable is bulky and professional looking, shame about the resistance issues but as a 3.5mm to 3.5mm replacement at £13, I don't think you can get a nicer tangle free, lightweight replacement cable with some awesome terminations thrown in.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3,300 of 5,962
Hey guys, just a heads up- Amazon has like 4 of these left @ $249.99 new(directly from them, not a third party seller). Was going to get a pair if it didn't take 3 days to transfer money between my accounts...might as well let y'all know instead :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back