[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,936 of 5,962
The Annie is warmer, thicker, smoother, and more linear. The treble has no peaks, and is more mellow. Think of it like a more open HD650, with better low end bass, and less mid bass.

I do agree on the X1 being dry sounding. It has a bigger sense of space, due to the thinner sounding instruments, though soundstage width is realistically bigger on the Annies. The X1 would make a killer competitive gaming can if the bass wasn't as loose as it is. As it stands, it's still great but definitely more leaning on fun.

I think that due to it's dry sound, the treble can stick out a bit, due to a 10db jump from 9 to 10khz, followed by a massive drop off in treble at about 11khz and so forth which is definitely noticeable with certain content. The X1 is definitely smooth in the treble except in that very small region, so when certain treble hits that peak, it sticks out like a sore thumb. 10khz is usually where treble registers quite dominantly in music from what I have experienced. This is why headphones like the 990 and HE400's treble sticks out so much. That is where their massive peaks lie.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,937 of 5,962
Hmmm interesting because I was under the impression that AKG's were all very analytical and dry type sound.... Also that the K7xx did not have much bass.... I am tempted to try out the 65th anniv because I really like the look of them with the colours etc. it is a bit of a price jump from the standard k702 though considering they are not actually that much different. Why did you sell them and get the X1?

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,938 of 5,962
Same reason I sold all those before. Wanted to try something new.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,940 of 5,962
For my personal taste, the D7000, then the LCD2, then K702/65. The X1 is probably my fave in terms of hitting all my requirements like: comfort, open, velour pads, bass, soundstage, but technically about on par with something like the DT990, with a better frequency curve.

Loved the Stax SR-407 as well, but it's a bit unorthodox and not my typical preference in sound.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,942 of 5,962
The X1 is actually better behaved than either the K702 (non-65th) or DT 990. It performs very well for a dynamic diaphragm.

I suspect that some adjustments to internal cup dampening would ameliorate the X1's perceived issues.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,943 of 5,962
Regardless of your love for graphs, I dont find them being better in any way over the other two except in their frequency response being better behaved. On the ear, they just have a more agreeable sound signature. The bass is sloppy in comparison to the K702/65, and the treble is peaky as well. I have zero fatigue from the K702/65.

They are thinner sounding, the mids are not as realistic, and the bass can surely be tighter.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,945 of 5,962
Quote:
The X1 is actually better behaved than either the K702 (non-65th) or DT 990. It performs very well for a dynamic diaphragm.

I suspect that some adjustments to internal cup dampening would ameliorate the X1's perceived issues.

To my ears the Beyer DT990 sounded like some sort of torture device with massive piercing sibilance and sharp treble, not good. If the AKG 65th are even remotely like that, then I will give them a miss, if they are less harsh than the X1 then they cannot be even comparable to the DT990 which are much worse than the X1 for sibilance and sharp treble.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,946 of 5,962
Quote:

To my ears the Beyer DT990 sounded like some sort of torture device with massive piercing sibilance and sharp treble, not good. If the AKG 65th are even remotely like that, then I will give them a miss, if they are less harsh than the X1 then they cannot be even comparable to the DT990 which are much worse than the X1 for sibilance and sharp treble.

The greatest problem on the AKGs occur at 2.2KHz, though they exhibit some odd behavior with midrange ringing that makes them rather shouty throughout the upper midrange. Their treble isn't nearly as problematic as that of the DT 990.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,947 of 5,962

The K702/65 is NOTHING like the 990. I don't know where you got that idea. I meant that the X1 is basically on the same level, just witjh a different frequency response. Kind of like the LCD2 vs HE500, etc.

Again, I had zero fatigue from the K702/65 compared to the X1. It's the least fatiguing headphone I have ever used, other than the HD650.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #1,948 of 5,962
Quote:

Have you considered going back to your first love - the D2000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back