New PC Audio setup < 100 EUR in Europe ?
Oct 28, 2012 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vic2vic

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'd like to move from my "ultra basic" 20 EUR cheap and squeaking PC speakers to some better sounding gear. I mainly listen to Post-rock music (Explosions in The Sky, Mogwai, Caspian) and my budget is max 100 EUR. I do not have a lot of space on my desk, so I cannot go for big speakers (which probably are anyway out of my price range) and I do not have a space for a subwoofer neither. On the other side, I do not need to fill a full room with booming sound, and my room is very quiet, so no loud volumes needed.   
Please note that I'm based in Europe (Germany) so a lot of speakers discussed in this forum seems not available over here (especially the amazing Dayton B652). Preferred shopping places: Amazon.de & eBay.
After reading a lot of threads on this topic in this forum, it seems that there are basically 2 options for me:

a) Avid M-Audio AV40: all in one solution (Amp+Speakers) with good quality & sound. Pro: speaker size, "plug and play", price. Cons: If amp dies, I throw away everything (and it seems this AV40 is not really a defect-proof set). Not modular solution. No DAC. 

b) External Amp (e.g. Lepai T2020) or Amp+DAC (e.g. SD-793 II) + passive speakers (e.g. Dayton B652): probably the best sounding solution, modular and flexible. But to go for it I need to clarify a couple of points:
   1) Which bang for bucks speakers could I get here in Europe (Germany) with similar cost/performance as the B652 ? If they are also 2-3 cm narrower than Dayton it's even better (as they are a bit oversized for my desk) ? Max 50-60 EUR.
   2) How do you compare the SD-793 II vs. Lepai T2020 ? Will I find a noticeable improvement due to the internal DAC in SD-793 II? Any other Amp+DAC highly recommended in the same price range with same features (I like the optical input and the headphone out jack) ? Or any T2020 suggested instead of the Lepai (I do not like the treble/bass controls, and I'd need to mod it to take them away) ?
   3) If going for the SD-793 II, how will I connect this to the speakers, as it seems that it has only RCA outputs, but not connection for standard speaker cables (the black+red ones) ?  

I'd tend to go for solution (b) as SD-793 II + speakers, but I'd need some help on the points above before taking a final decision.

Thanks a lot,
Vi2vic

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Looks like the SD-793 II is just a DAC, no amp. I don't think it will do what you want it to do. 

Ooops... you are 100% correct.

So maybe I could go for the M-Audio AV40 (active monitors)... and eventually later on upgrade the system with the DAC.
Would it be a noticeable improvement ? 

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Hmm actually looking at whats available in Germany this speaker seem to offer good SQ for it's asking price :

Magnat Monitor Supreme 100

[size=1.7em] http://www.amazon.de/Magnat-Monitor-Supreme-Regallautsprecher-Bassreflex/dp/B001GNC0JY/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1351449422&sr=8-18[/size]

perhaps snoop around the local hifi/audio forums where u at to get the lowdown on it
darthsmile.gif
I can't read German for nuts so
deadhorse.gif
Even better if u can nab a higher end model used but in good condition ya

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 7
The AV40/SMSL SD-793II combo would work well together, but I'm guessing it's over your budget.
The Asus Xonar DG sound card with the AV40 would be a little cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back