New pair of headphones
Nov 4, 2010 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yiancar

Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Well this is the usual story, I am between K701 HD650 and DT-900. The reason I am posting is that where I live ( Cyprus) its very difficult to walk into a shop and try them. The supply of good headphones here is so little that, well am forced to buy them from the net. Anyway my range is around ~300 eur (450usd) and the cans will be ampped with a balanced bijou i'll finish next week.

I am looking for natural sound , not too bassy but to have "enchanted" mids. Usually for classic/modern rock , some jazz and classical music.

Tnx,
Yiangos
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
I am looking for natural sound , not too bassy but to have "enchanted" mids. Usually for classic/modern rock , some jazz and classical music.

Tnx,
Yiangos
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have a good source, the 650's may suit your preferences. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 11
If you find one cheap, a vintage Yamaha orthodynamic might fit your taste. They are famous for their nice mids. They could require some restoration work though, so I only recommend them if you can get them really cheap (since it might be hard for you to have a listen before you buy...).

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 11
for what I read about it, the 701's are not very liked for rock music, although they have fatastic 'detail' and people do find them 'natural'

Not many people are negative about the Sens, which definitely have more lows then the AKG's.

Good luck with your choice.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 11
I'd definitely say the HD650s are for you from my experience with them.  You could also look at the HD600, they have quite a following, and while I haven't heard them, a lot of people find them a little more neutral than the HD650.  Good hunting!

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 11
My suggestion would be the HD650, or a Denon D2000. Both will be what your looking for  one is open the other is closed so depending on where your listening from will  determine your needs, though the Denons aren't portable or isolating and they do leak a good bit.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 11
The mids on the 990s are a little recessed.  They're there, the quality is good, but they're just quieter compared to the bass and treble.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 11
The mids on the HD 650s are quieter than the bass and highs as well. The mids sound absolutely amazing tho. The bass and highs aren't as amazing as the mids I think, but still very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 11
Well I have officially ordered the HD650. If i find a cheap pair of K701 I'll also try it.
smily_headphones1.gif

As the amp I am building is balanced, I'll need a custom cable. Well the cardas connectors are a must, I am considering for Neotech NEI-3001 wire and some Neutrik xlrs. Any comment on that? Also do you know of any shop that sell's viablue splitters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back