New Oppo BDP-93
Dec 12, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 52
I think the Oppo93 is fantastic.  It may not always be the smoothest interface wise but it is fantastic.  The fact that you can use it for CD, DVD, HDCD,SACD, DVD-audio, BD etc all in one unit is fantastic.  I have my entire music collection burn onto 2 BD-ROMs which is where most of my music comes from .

The saber32 DAC should get some attention on head-fi because it is first rate as far as I can tell.  Unlike the saber32 DAC in my Marantz AVR, it easily plays everything up to 24/192.

I have my oppo set up to do all the dolby and special processing and then send the signal over HDMI to my receiver.  I have a digital coax sending music to my AGD NFB-1 DAC and stereo ouputs going right to my Apex Peak heaadamp - so it's the center of my music system.

If you only have it sending stuff to an AVR over HDMI for processing then you may not notice much of a difference with it.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #18 of 52
I got one last week and I love it. I hesitated between it and a Dune HD Max media/BD player. Both were the same price from Only Best Rated. I was told the Oppo did discs better while the Dune was better for streaming.
I'm using Mezzmo to stream from an Win XP PC  to the Oppo via ethernet and it does everything perfectly including huge 1080p 3D files. I don't see how the Dune could have been any better.
I haven't had time to fool around with audio files yet but I'm curious to see how its analog output does compared to my modded SB Touch/EE DAC setup with streamed FLAC files.
I'll also try running its digital outputs through the EE.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #22 of 52
Great feedback on the 93 - thank you.  Finally hooked up the multi-channel outs to the receiver - wow!  Very happy with the purchase.  The train wreck scene in Super 8 is amazing to listen to w/a Blu-ray.  Based on tme and T&c, I have a lot to learn about the unit.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #24 of 52

Quote:
I think the Oppo93 is fantastic.  It may not always be the smoothest interface wise but it is fantastic.  The fact that you can use it for CD, DVD, HDCD,SACD, DVD-audio, BD etc all in one unit is fantastic.  I have my entire music collection burn onto 2 BD-ROMs which is where most of my music comes from .

The saber32 DAC should get some attention on head-fi because it is first rate as far as I can tell.  Unlike the saber32 DAC in my Marantz AVR, it easily plays everything up to 24/192.

I have my oppo set up to do all the dolby and special processing and then send the signal over HDMI to my receiver.  I have a digital coax sending music to my AGD NFB-1 DAC and stereo ouputs going right to my Apex Peak heaadamp - so it's the center of my music system.

If you only have it sending stuff to an AVR over HDMI for processing then you may not notice much of a difference with it.

I want to clarify that the BDP-93 uses the Cirrus Logic CS4382A Dac, not the Sabre 32.  The Sabre is used in the BDP-95.

I've got the Nuforce Xtreme Edition BDP-93 which still uses the CS4382 and it sounds quite good.  I've never heard the stock player so don't know how much of an improvement it is over that.  But being used to higher quality sources I wanted to get as good sounding a blu-ray player as I could within my parameters and it has not disappointed.   The Oppo is a very flexible player.  I have been able to stream lots of my media over wifi including flac and movie files.  I haven't put many discs into the actual tray due to this, it's pretty awesome.  It's basically acting like a network DAC right now when I want music, and a video streamer when I want to watch something.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #25 of 52
The BDP-93, BDP-93NE and BDP-95 were compared by Home Theater High Fidelity (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/1048-oppo-bdp-93-and-bdp-95-universal-3d-blu-ray-players-part-1-audio-performance.html).

I've never heard either 93, I do have a 95 that I'm very happy with.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #26 of 52
So do you guys think the oppo-95 would make for a good DAC? I do have a home theater that I use the PS3 for blu-rays but I have always wanted an OPPO but if I could use it for a DAC and home theater it would be great. I also like how it can play music from an external hard drive since my music collection is digital. What do you all think?

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #29 of 52
Yea, I forgot I wrote that or I would have corrected it.  Though I do have to admit I had the 93 for about a year before I realized it didn't have the same saber32 DAC as the 95. Say's a lot about the 93 I think.

But it's too bad you didn't get the normal 93 and then upgrade it.  I would love to hear a real review from someone on head-fi.  It's interesting how many different sites, forums and reviewers just quote the same 2 articles (1 listed above). I've also seen a few reviews saying the NXE was light years beyond the NX and that the NXE was the greatest thing ever - but I kind of took those as potential nuforce employee reviews...

I may just get the NX and NXE cards and play with them for a week or 2 since they come with 30 day returns.

Quote:
I want to clarify that the BDP-93 uses the Cirrus Logic CS4382 Dac, not the Sabre 32.  The Sabre is used in the BDP-95.

I've got the Nuforce Xtreme Edition BDP-93 which still uses the CS4382 and it sounds quite good.  I've never heard the stock player so don't know how much of an improvement it is over that.  But being used to higher quality sources I wanted to get as good sounding a blu-ray player as I could within my parameters and it has not disappointed.   The Oppo is a very flexible player.  I have been able to stream lots of my media over wifi including flac and movie files.  I haven't put many discs into the actual tray due to this, it's pretty awesome.  It's basically acting like a network DAC right now when I want music, and a video streamer when I want to watch something.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #30 of 52
It's also interesting that nuforce was working on a $1500 NXE (extreme) version for the 95 but dropped it because they couldn't make it sound better than it already was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back