New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Sep 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #47 of 258
Sep 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #48 of 258
Quote:
you can attach a usb hard drive to it which can be an SSD. I read all my music off HHD on my current OPPO. I used to burn my music to 25g BD-ROM discs but then realized using a HD stopped wear on the optical drive. This way you can put any drive in it you like and replace it when you like. Better plan. It can also see any music streamed from your NAS or computer so...bases are covered.

It has super fast eSata, so you can do it with that.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #51 of 258
maybe i missed it but nobody in this thread seems excited about the fact that this new Oppo can be used as a preamp.

I guess in the context of headphones this might be expected but I'm looking forward to getting rid of my older AV Receiver and getting a bdp-105 - there's an HDMI IN slot on there for the digital cable box.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #55 of 258
Quote:

I read in the AVS forum that the eSATA port has been removed from both 103 and 105.

I've watched movies and music from a hard drive via eSATA and there is NO performance gain as opposed to using USB.  I actually preferred USB, because I could mount and un-mount the drive without having to turn the unit off.
wink_face.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #56 of 258
yep, no more esata.

Just an FWI, the people who signed up for earlier notification on the 103 have already received their units (granted the people who signed and AND paid for them).  They should be going on sale for real pretty soon.

The information on the 105 still hasn't been released but I think it soon will be.

Sep 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #57 of 258
It'll be interesting to see if the review units at CEDIA differ any from the final release units. A lot going on in that small box!

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #58 of 258
Yeap. I'm looking for a new DAC for my setup and the cd transport and excellent blu-ray player sould be a real bonus.

Keeping a very close look at this product.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #59 of 258
Quote:
second, it would have just made things easy for me if it could play ALAC.  Now that ALAC is open, it still doesn't play it.

I just converted all my files (6000 plus) to Apple Lossless to free up space on my iMac. I currently have the Stello U3 USB/SPDIF converter feeding my receiver via Digital Coax. Are you saying that with the same set-up (Digital Coax into the 105) that it won't play my Apple Lossless files? 

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #60 of 258
Quote:
second, it would have just made things easy for me if it could play ALAC.  Now that ALAC is open, it still doesn't play it.

I just converted all my files (6000 plus) to Apple Lossless to free up space on my iMac. I currently have the Stello U3 USB/SPDIF converter feeding my Onkyo 3009 receiver via Digital Coax. Are you saying that with the same set-up (Digital Coax into the 105) that it won't play my Apple Lossless files? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back